Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Oh dearie me. Could you point us in the direction of anything even remotely resembling a “Gerrard wankfest”?

33 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Sweet Stevie G   Da Da Da good time never felt so good

👁️👅👁️

• Haha 1

All this talk of hardly any possession..

who cares how much possession time Brighton notched up whilst passing between themselves in their own/middle third?

They’re blunt going forwards.  They can have 90% possession for all I care.

5FFB3D60-A5CA-41A7-AEFD-9E423BDDDF39.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, romavillan said:

Both were saved by an in form keeper. Might have been a different story had either gone in and we'd found ourselves a goal down and chasing the game...

Or Cash’s header could have gone in and we’d have gone on to win the game even more comfortably, or Mings’ effort at the start of the second half. In terms of clear opportunities and good goalkeeping, it was even until we scored.

Glass half full vs glass half empty 

• Like 1

I think that we definitely looked more organised and showed a bit more grit yesterday. We showed little glimpses of some nice passing sequences. We were understandably very nervous.

In a way, Brighton in their current form was probably a good first game for us - they knock the ball around nicely enough, and keep it well but lacked any real penetration. One thing I must note to Brighton’s credit is their ability to take the sting out of the opposition and their momentum. We started both halves very well, but after 8-10 minutes of each Brighton quietened us down.

Palace next week will be another test for us, they are a bit more direct in how they will carry the ball against us, but with another week on the training ground under our belt we should be slowly starting to get more of an idea of what Gerrard’s Aston Villa will look like.

• Like 2

I thought it was spot on yesterday regards tactics. I feel previously we would have been going all guns blazing in that game and would have left ourselves exposed defensively when Brighton would have passed around us and won with us tiring at the end and likely being picked off to a 0-3 or 1-3 scoreline. The substitiutions would have been reactionary simply replacing tired legs with out of position replacements as happened a lot under DS (& for me cost us the Wolves game but hey ho)

It was delightful to see us in a more tactically aware battle for the first goal.. If that hadn't come you feel we would have dug in for a 0-0... How often did we do that before? Those draws were sadly missing under the previous regime.

The substitutions were perfect too. A tiring Ramsey, out of sorts & clearly not fully sharp Buendia both replaced at the ideal time to capitailse on Brighton pushing for the win. Young & Bailey did well and i thought even Elghazi brought it in that last 10 minutes or so & Brighton simply couldn't cope with us... indeed it could have been 3 or 4 by the end. That was all done with the correct decisions being made by the new coaching team! Great!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

We mustn't forget those two fabulous block saves by Martinez too! They were as good as goals and also an indication that Brighton can be dangerous along with their keepy ball  stuff. For me the fact they didn't score was more down to our good defending & goal keeper than it was down to them not offering a threat.

Edited by danceoftheshamen

There's lots of work to be done, but it was a very good start yesterday. Other than a couple of really shit misplaced passes, the whole team seemed much more determined not to give the ball away. When Mings remembers that and keeps things simple he's a top player. The other very noticeable thing was the lack of long throws, which suggests that MacPhee has been put back in his box.

It was a proper 4-3-3 as well, and not that 4-2-3-1 rubbish. (Well it's rubbish when you use McGinn and Luiz as the two).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

We mustn't forget those two fabulous block saves by Martinez too! They were as good as goals and also an indication that Brighton can be dangerous along with their keepy ball  stuff. For me the fact they didn't score was more down to our good defending & goal keeper than it was down to them not offering a threat.

First one was routine save. Second one was brilliant keeping. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

First one was routine save. Second one was brilliant keeping. 

1st one looked straight at him albeit struck clean and hard

2nd one was impressive though, he was rapid closing him down and just as impressive there 3 defenders behind him, it was great to see 

I would say the speed of martinez there and the effort by mings for his goal is new manager bounce in action 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Risso said:

There's lots of work to be done, but it was a very good start yesterday. Other than a couple of really shit misplaced passes, the whole team seemed much more determined not to give the ball away. When Mings remembers that and keeps things simple he's a top player. The other very noticeable thing was the lack of long throws, which suggests that MacPhee has been put back in his box.

It was a proper 4-3-3 as well, and not that 4-2-3-1 rubbish. (Well it's rubbish when you use McGinn and Luiz as the two).

Do you think we will end up with a ‘proper 4-3-3’ very similar to Liverpool now? It will be interesting to see if Danks and MacPhee remain at the Villa after this season.

20 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Pleased for Watkins that goal will do him a world of good

looked like a 0-0 and then suddenly a mad few minutes and we coasted it 

Mings was my MOTM today , thought he attacked every one of their set pieces , which is basically all they have and won them all

some work to do but an important 3 points 

Is it just me that finds Brighton a bit dull to watch ?

...but that was the first game they lost away.....huge credit to us.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tayls said:

Great win.

Bit disappointed in how much of the ball we had though. Interestingly, just checked the stats according to the Sky Sports App, both Villa and Norwich had 37% possession in their games. Bit weird?!

If he feels , we are not fit enough, it was the sensible thing to do, concede territory, when it matters less, to preserve energy.

In the fullness of time and better fitness, I think you will see more pressing.

20 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tbf, the score was the best part.

that was their first defeat on the road, this season....huge credit to us for the way we dealt with them.

The result, was the best part, and so be it....The entertainment, can come later.

19 hours ago, chappy said:

Not much had changed between eras really. We look more solid but that could be down to Brighton being toothless?

Voted Ollie MOTM for that spark. Beautiful goal. Last ten mins we were electric and could’ve scored more but it seemed like they were holding back a little. Anwar came on and we looked a different side. Fair play to SG for realising Young was struggling in the Buendia role and bringing on AEG to push him back a bit. 

It really was heading to a dull 0-0 (which I would’ve taken to stop the rot!) and we turned it on out of nowhere. Brighton fans must feel sick as they’d been the better side for the most part. Can’t beat a VP atmosphere when we are on the front foot though, walked out with a big silly grin on my face that the majority of the game probably didn’t merit.

Up the Villa, bring on Palace. 

I think the clean sheet was SG's priority, hence the style of play.....when he realised it was getable...he went for the jugular....The game was well mangaged.

Brighton are very tough durable opponents, they might be toothless, but, but for our resolute approach, they could have scored.....it was a very good win, under the circumstances....not to be sniffed at.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

It was a weird game i thought, we definitely allowed them to have posession in some area's as Gerrard has indicated but we are too slow in moving the ball out from the back for my liking, the passes need to be quicker.

That was such a big 3 points though so not complaining. We looked so much better when Buedia left the scene.

As for the Ref!!! I mean seriously?

My suspicion, is, he don't think we are fit enough collectively yet, so he conceded ground.....That was pretty good ,for his first game.

Edited by TRO

54 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Do you think we will end up with a ‘proper 4-3-3’ very similar to Liverpool now? It will be interesting to see if Danks and MacPhee remain at the Villa after this season.

I hope so. If you're going to play 4-2-3-1 you need at least one top class defensive midfielder. To get the best out of 4-3-3 we'll need Bailey at his best, and Buendia to prove that he can cut it, which I have reservations about.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

Very pleased with the start, although my stream was dogshit for the second half.  Martinez seemed much more focussed today having been off the boil for a while imo as well as reverting to the first choice back 4 helped.  Too many times we suffered a soft setback or conceded straight after scoring so hopefully that's changing.

As soon as we scored the second, he called Nakamba over to him, (during the celebrations).....just after, he delivered a telling/crunching tackle.

Its the little things, that make the big things......I thought that was brilliant.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roonst83 said:

We needed a win today. Any way we could get it. We stood up to a hugely pressured game today and came through it. After an initial period of intensity for first ten mins Brighton were much more comfortable on the ball than us first half and pressed us very well to stop us building out from the back. They linked well from their back line to attack which is something we massively lacked. We had glimpses of moments of good play in the opening 45 but lacked fluidity from midfield to attack.  Martinez saved us at the end of the first half. 

Second half we looked much more composed. Targett and Nakamba, in particular, improved vastly in the second half and enabled us to get forward and rotate the ball better. McGinn put himself much more about in a similar vein to how he plays for Scotland. Watkins looked unfit and off the pace throughout the first period. He seemed more interested and sharp in his preferred role and scored a great goal. Hope that catapults him into some form but he needs to improve his fitness and involvement during games. I suspect a run of games in his natural position as the lead striker in the 433 would be his best chance of achieving that. Although I’m not convinced Bailey should start right now. He seems better suited as a sub. Buendia is massively lacking confidence and it shows. I’ve always stated he tries too hard and holds onto the ball too long and gets caught in possession. We have an unforgiving home crowd at times and you could see he was very tentative and nervous. There’s a player there. Competition for places is rife now with new management so hopefully that’ll be the motivation he needs going forwards.

We made the right subs at the right time. Similar to the Everton game earlier in the season. I’m always disappointed when Young is brought on but he was composed and did great for the first goal. The subs changed the game. 

Big big three points and credit to Gerrard for getting a tune out of the players with so little time. I’ve liked what I’ve heard and seen of him so far. Today’s performance wasn’t great but it was effective. Stayed tight at the back, rode our luck a couple of times but stayed in the game so we could take advantage. Gerrard under no illusions there’s plenty of hard work needed but he’ll have leant a lot today and will do so throughout the week when he spends more time with the full squad. 

They wasn't easy opponents for us and the way we play....so it was even more credit to us.....Effective was the key word, for that game, and until we put daylight between the bottom 3.

We will evolve, but right now, we need points.

• Like 1

Â