Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Brighton

limpid

Match Polls  

233 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/11/21 at 23:59

Was Gerrard's first game here, pretty difficult to say if his performance was poor, good or average by his standards. Time will tell.

Good start with 3 points that I'm sure will give some much needed confidence to the players.

The one thing that Gerrard and his coaching staff brought was Passion and the will to win, we went beyond 70 mins for the first time in ages to put a side to bed. Dean needed the change the players needed the change and lets hope we can build from here. Good luck to Dean and hope he doe's well but we are Villa fans first.

On 21/11/2021 at 04:15, It's Your Round said:

Did anyone spot what we did from the kick off? That’s right, we kept possession and worked the ball forward! Hopefully that’s the end of the pass-back-and-hoof-it tactics of the last few years. 

Yes I loved that - so many teams do that hoof from a kick off. I think I'm also right in saying the long throws are out now - bit too Stoke for my liking.

On 20/11/2021 at 16:56, PaulC said:

Call it new manager bounce I don't know, but that was much much better than what we have seen of late. Mings and Cash brilliant. Young did well when coming on and I think Watkins should play down the middle. 

We look so much better when Ollie is down the middle - stretching CBs - and there is pace on at least one wing. This is not rocket science is it? I hope Stevie G can see this.

I thought Ramsey and SJM looked good as 8's but I do find myself holding my breath every time Nakamba gets a bit of time on the ball!!

The defence looks reasonably solid and Targett looks back to last season's Targett in a 4.

Buendia is clearly the main challenge. He has an excellent one touch pass but seems to want to do every time/ is afraid to carry the ball. I think he would look better with Buendia and Watkins as they will stretch the play more and create the space he needs to work in. He desperately needs some confidence.

Imagine that back 5 with Bissouma in front of them and SJM + 1 behind a front three of Bailey, Buendia (confident and firing) and Ollie. I'm hoping for that!!

• Like 1

On 20/11/2021 at 16:55, Davkaus said:

I'd have loved to be in the Holte for Sweet Caroline this evening

**** THE BLUES

I must admit I normally grab a seat near the exit in the last couple of minutes then make a swift exit at final whistle, but I did hang around for Sweet Caroline on Saturday. 

On 20/11/2021 at 18:13, Davkaus said:

I can't agree with this, Emi kept us in the game, and they could have been 2 up before we finally woke up and created a chance.

I'm not having that. 

Before our first goal 

1) their keeper made the first good save of the game from a (Cash?) header. 

2) by far and away the best save of the day was their keeper from Mings, I'm still wondering how he palmed it away now

If we're going with the if's but's and maybe's it would have been 2-2 before Ollie scored and that's not even thinking about the unusually heavy touch from Ings when put clean though by Buendia.  Ings buries that 9 times out of 10.

• Like 1

I have to say I had focused on the fact that Brighton hadn't won in 6 games and assumed they were in a really bad run of form and also assumed they were around our position in the league. 

I really hadn't appreciated that they'd had such a good start then drawn most of those games they hadn't won. 

Had they beaten us they would now depending on goal difference be 5th. 

This was a much bigger win than I appreciated. 

Also gives me more heart against Crystal Palace who I thought were doing much better than Brighton but have actually won less games than us.  I really need to examine the table more carefully 😳

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

I noticed a number of people gave Gerrard an 'Average' review in the voting. I would love to know what he could have done to improve from 'Average'. And if that was an average performance I really can't wait to see a 'Good' performance by him

We are clearly a difficult audience to impress.

• Like 1

Â