Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

And are you happy with every performance under Gerrard?

No of course not but I’m willing to give him time. I’ve seen enough when we have played well to see what he wants to do here.

He will give everything to make us successful, if he is good enough he will. If it turns out he’s not I’ll happily eat crow. 

23 minutes ago, jim said:

Rubbish. I wasn’t keen on Smith granted, but I never wanted us to lose and I didn’t post anywhere near the amount of hyperbole being aimed at Gerrard. 

My main criticism of Smith was how we played when Jack wasn’t in the team and how he looked bereft of ideas when things weren’t going well. When we did play well I praised him and asked for more of the same.

Who wants us to lose? 

You wanted him sacked our first year back in the prem. It's a pointless discussion now, but I'm just pointing out that how you felt about Smith is how others feel about Gerrard.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

@jim didnt rate Smith from the off. We had a £100 bet he’d be promoted by his second season. He ended up doing it his first. 

Sorry mate, I know we share the support of Gerrard but you never gave Smith a chance from the off.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe, I guess we’ll see when the competitive action starts. I hope I’m wrong but it’s what I’m seeing when watching the games.

Steady Nick you could’ve leaving yourself open to staring in a SpecSavers advert. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m trying to be open that i could be wrong, something that is rare on this site these days.  

People fix on one position and defend it to the hilts.  

I’m concerned at what I’m seeing but i’m open to it not being an issue and the positives will out do the negatives next season.

I want Gerrard to succeed because I want Villa to succeed.  People come back at me saying we were undefeated in preseason….great! But if we were struggling they would’ve then said results in preseason don’t matter.  The same with scoring and conceding that it’s a net positive result, we’ll I hope it would be when playing the likes of Walsall, Brisbane Roar, a poor Leeds team and Rennes.  Thankfully we had a bit more of a test against Man U, first half problems, second half good.

Now we are going into competitive games, the level will rise and I’m hoping the positives and enhanced like many believe they will and not the frailties that many of us are concerned about.  

I’m hoping to be wrong, I’m hoping that what I’m seeing is wrong or just preseason niggles.  So I’m very open to being positive as the season progresses and I will happily come back and say I don’t know what I was worried about.

This 100% mate. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I agree with a lot but the part in bold. He's done OK. Finishing 14th is not a very good job IMO. 

I agree. It isnt for an entire season. But since he started at 16th its ok. Maybe nobody else here was worried about relegation when Deano got axed, but I sure was. What is a good job is Gerrard's recruitment and imho playing style. For me we are already playing better football  than we were under Deano last season )post Grealish) . Admittedly some of that is down to Gerrards excellent recruitment.

But you are not wrong 14th is not very good. If he only gets us that this season he will have done a mediocre job. If he gets us in relegation trouble like Deano did then he will have done a poor job.

Overall I stand by my very good score for Gerrard particularly pre-season. For those who are stull sceptical about him I respect that. He doesnt have the excuse of "disrupted pre season" he has had a good solid one. No excuses this is his team and his style. So we will all be in a position to make a judgement very soon.

I am excited.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Tayls said:

- Bomb squads

- weird change in captaincy a week before kick off

- playing players who aren’t playing well 

- not playing Buendia who is probably our best player

- Media wise things appear fine. I just do not get the impression that the players will fight for each other. 

That team against Rennes is probably what we are going to be starting with against Bournemouth, you’d imagine. We can rule top 10 out if that is the case. 

• Everyone has Bomb squads, ask Ross Barkley
  • We don't know, Ty might be showing signs of stress.....the manager see's them close up, we don't.
  • He is looking at ALL the players, during Pre-season, which is correct.
  • That is subjective, I wouldn't call him our best player, but I accept his industry is missed.
  • Its pre-season and despite us not being beat,in 6 games... it is pre-season performances.....lets wait until the season starts for real.
  • We have no idea, what the starting team will be.

Personally.....It concerns me how easily teams apply the press to us, and how easily it negates our play...The Rennes game was typical, however the heat was an issue, and it is pre-season friendlies.....no one wants to be injured.

He has to be given time, to work with a WIP team.....jumping on every anxious moment, is premature.......After the first 5 games, will give us some idea of where we are going.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Off the pitch he is brilliant. Has not shown me anything on matchdays. Same issues linger.

I think it is fair to say, some issues do still linger....but it is pre-season, and some of the issues are mentality related.

The games, I have seen, our play has looked like Pre-season mentality....lets see if a more intense attitude is applied at Bournemouth.

I want to see us, nullify the first game bounce and challenge for every ball, I want to see an urgency come in to our game.

• Like 2

I am wondering if his experiance in the SPL is starting to show.You might be able to win the league in Scotland ( if you manage Celtic/Rangers ) without decent strikers,but I dont think that plan will work in the PL.

As far as the starting 11 goes,there again,you might get away with not starting your best 11 in the SPL (Im talking about playing Coutinho instead of Buendia ) but,again I dont think that will work in the PL.

Im still 100% behind him.but,I am seriuosly beginning to wonder if his experiance in the SPL is reflected here.....Time will tell

10 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I am wondering if his experiance in the SPL is starting to show.You might be able to win the league in Scotland ( if you manage Celtic/Rangers ) without decent strikers,but I dont think that plan will work in the PL.

I have absolutely no idea how our strikers correlate with his " experience in Scotland ".

We have 2 strikers who have scored good amounts in the Premier League.

He hasn't said to himself " Well the strikers are shite, but in Scotland we could win games without good ones so no need ".

I also doubt he's been offered a top striker and declined.

We had the same strikers last season.

• Like 3

Â