Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 hour ago, TRO said:

was he?

oh it really is about opinions.....I saw a shrinking violet, bless him.

Do everyone said.

What was the quote...

"Right man wrong time" .....wot a load of cobblers.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

To be honest Bri.....its one of the things I like most about, his his persona, his measuerd thinking and his ability to control the conversation, is appealing.

It is what happens on the park that counts......but if he came out as a giggling, joker, allowing presenters to make fun of him, with ill prepared script.....we would have something else to say....The guys is never moved or affected by any sort of questioning, always in control...even when the media are scratting for a headline.

To me, SG comes across as an Elite manager, even if he isn't one yet.......just getting his ducks in a row, ready, I suspect.

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

You mention in one of the comments above that SG comes across as an elite manager, I just don’t see that.  I see a man that has had media training all through his playing career because he was one of the best ever in the PL so was always in the spotlight so his media presence I’d expect to be there.  I’ll give him big ups on the recruitment, along with Lange, Purslow and whoever else but for the elite manager, the main part is the football and I don’t see anything to suggest eliteness at all, his decisions have mostly poor and the impact following the initial period of his tenure has been poor.  He makes odd decisions a lot, I just, s far, don’t see anything that I think he could be an elite manager.  I just hope the new season he shows us he has that skill.

As for learning, you know my view on that, I don’t think he was ready for the Villa job and nothing on the pitch to date has changed my mind.  Thankfully if it does go wrong this season, his name, has got us some quality players in the door so the next manager has a good squad.  It’s all irrelevant now as he’s our manager and I will support him a 100% at the ground but he’s got a lot to do to prove he’s worthy of the job in my eyes and even a lot more to say he could be an elite manager one day.

But he's a born winner who has a presence when he walks into a room.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tayls said:

I wonder if Gerrard will have us playing as well as Kompany has got Burnley playing at these early stages. 

He still made respective references to the Burnley way, in his after match interview, so he hasn't abandoned that yet.....Huddersfield was pants with a new managers and iffy preparation....is hardly the sort of comparison, I would make, but hey ho.

I would be amazed if SG has looked at that game with starry eyes and thought he missed a trick.

Lets see how we start and then make meaningful comments.

• Like 1

- Bomb squads

- weird change in captaincy a week before kick off

- playing players who aren’t playing well 

- not playing Buendia who is probably our best player

- Media wise things appear fine. I just do not get the impression that the players will fight for each other. 

That team against Rennes is probably what we are going to be starting with against Bournemouth, you’d imagine. We can rule top 10 out if that is the case. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Well he's had his full pre season and I still haven't the slightest on what his ideas are meant to be.

Just get top 10, anything else is a bonus. 

Sorry but his idea is starring you in the face .

Buy enough decent and costly players - and a couple of em will have enough decent moments in a match to eek 3pts against lesser equipped sides.

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

I don't know where all this is coming from....

Villa are unbeaten in pre-season, some tough games. Rennes are a decent side in a very competitive league.

We are creating a winning formula and it's still early days, you lot are talking as though we should be winning trophies. We are still miles off and it will take some time, be patient.

But then when people show worry or concern they're told pre season doesn't matter. I see a lot of issues that were concerns last year that are still there. 

The club are sending messages that top 7/8 is the aim. Fans are going to go along with that. 

For me it's not doom and gloom, I'm excited to see what we can do. I'm just waiting to be convinced we can be a top half team. 

• Like 1

Anyone else alarmed how recent week has gone, traore told train with u23's, and the captain debacle.

I really think the obsession with Gerrard style and his  insistence on playing it will hamper us. Possesion football is out the window for this season, wrong personel in the system evident today.

Edited by villan501
  • Like 2

Â