Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

29 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Still talks an excellent game. Hard to find fault with that interview, underlines how professionally we are being run, we got our top targets almost immediately and they've had a full pre-season with the squad. SG is impressive in all his media work and he's saying all the right things. Let's hope the results follow, exciting times.

To be honest I couldn’t care less about his media interviews, I want to see it on the pitch and last season I mostly didn’t.  He’s had a preseason so hopefully the new season will bring some good stuff.

Edit: obviously I care about the media stuff because it’s good for club and all that but if that lost a bit and on the pitch gained a bit I’d be happier.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

What I dont understand is.Last season Watkins and Ings did not put away enough chances.What makes SG think that this season they will do better ?

Havent noticed any improvement in pre-season.

• Like 3

On 24/07/2022 at 21:29, Tomaszk said:

I'm glad you've got a manager to support now. Really am.

If he wins some games we can all enjoy it together.

Also. It's probably four players on over £120k a week really.

So, what are you going to do when we are winning?.....wait patiently until we lose, and scream "I told you so"

That first line of yours, bellows "Irony".....The second line bellows "begrudgingly "......you seem to want to cover all eventualities..like "Cake and eat it"

With all whats been done to improve our team....I would think the least any fan could do is support the manager.

Don't worry, if the wheels come off and it goes tits up......you can have your own thread....or the freedom of VT.

PS Some managers would'nt be able to attract players demanding £120k per week.....they would favour champions league football.....bully for us we have one who can, sell the club/ project to them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

So, what are you going to do when we are winning?

Pretty sure it was covered in the post.

If he wins some games we can all enjoy it together.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Pretty sure it was covered in the post.

Thats a bit like...."I hate the trade union, but if they get us a pay rise, I will accept it."

We used to call them "Cheeky buggers".....back then.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

Thats a bit like...."I hate the trade union, but if they get us a pay rise, I will accept it."

We used to call them "Cheeky buggers".....back then.

Adjusting your opinion based on new evidence is great actually.

7 hours ago, nick76 said:

To be honest I couldn’t care less about his media interviews, I want to see it on the pitch and last season I mostly didn’t.  He’s had a preseason so hopefully the new season will bring some good stuff.

Edit: obviously I care about the media stuff because it’s good for club and all that but if that lost a bit and on the pitch gained a bit I’d be happier.

We all want it to translate in to our performances Nick......but being articulate in his deliveries to the Media has to be and indication of the way the man communicates with the players/coaches.

It is only an indication....but One I feel from my experience listening to My CEO's over the years, it makes for encouragement.

Good communication is a tremendous filip, when leading men.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

51 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Adjusting your opinion based on new evidence is great actually.

Is it?....I call it hedging your bets....In such cases as you claim, some could say, keeping your own counsel is prudent too, until such new evidence is revealed.

Then, I guess you will just have to wait until the wins start rolling in.

I guess there will always, be a Judas, who has to wait for the evidence.....but hey ho.

shame, we just can't get behind him first, until he proves, he can't do it.......instead of the other way around.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

What I take from his interviews is that he is honestly and openly telling us what his thought process is going into this season.

Whether you like SG or not you must surely still get the message that he is very much his own man and will do the things he thinks are necessary to make Villa more successful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

Then, I guess you will just have to wait until the wins start rolling in.

I guess there will always, be Judas, who has to wait for the evidence.....but hey ho.

shame, we just can't get behind him first, until he proves, he can't do it.......instead of the other way around.

I think supporting him and having an opinion on his ability/suitability are separate things. Supporting him is supporting Aston Villa's success. Opinions on him are subject to change depending on results on the pitch. It's not as if he just joined. He was here for 70% of last season, and it wasn't exactly great.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

What I take from his interviews is that he is honestly and openly telling us what his thought process is going into this season.

Whether you like SG or not you must surely still get the message that he is very much his own man and will do the things he thinks are necessary to make Villa more successful.

To be honest Bri.....its one of the things I like most about, his his persona, his measuerd thinking and his ability to control the conversation, is appealing.

It is what happens on the park that counts......but if he came out as a giggling, joker, allowing presenters to make fun of him, with ill prepared script.....we would have something else to say....The guys is never moved or affected by any sort of questioning, always in control...even when the media are scratting for a headline.

To me, SG comes across as an Elite manager, even if he isn't one yet.......just getting his ducks in a row, ready, I suspect.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

We all want it to translate in to our performances Nick......but being articulate in his deliveries to the Media has to be and indication of the way the man communicates with the players/coaches.

It is only an indication....but One I feel from my experience listening to My CEO's over the years, it makes for encouragement.

Good communication is a tremendous filip, when leading men.

I’ve worked with a lot of directors in my years, I think it’s not always the case.  I had a sales director who could really engage a room with his speeches about the company or industry, he was tremendously good. His media interviews were just as impressive but his performance as a sales director was poor, his man management skills of his team left his team frustrated and he was relieved of his duties after a particular poor sales year.  I’ve equally had fantastic directors who’ve been excellent across the board.  My career has shown me that you judge each skill separately and being good at one thing may not lead to being good at another and that’s from a junior member all the way to board members.

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think supporting him and having an opinion on his ability/suitability are separate things. Supporting him is supporting Aston Villa's success. Opinions on him are subject to change depending on results on the pitch. It's not as if he just joined. He was here for 70% of last season, and it wasn't exactly great.

No It wasn't.....but it wasn't pants either.....it was mixed and inconsistent and I think some of us who discuss the balance of the playing squad, was not surprised, either....We played out some very good games and struggled badly with some.

With all the complexities involved in building a new team....time is of the essence.....some of the strong teams of today,  took them time.

I accept 14th and 19 Losses was cause for concern....but all that was not down to him, some was of course.

Having an opinion on his ability to date, is fine......but chastising/ challenging them that do see, a rainbow, and have a positive outlook towards him is a bit mean, imo

I usually favour believing in something, until there is a reason/rationale not to, has largely been my stance, I guess there are always exceptions....even I am not infallible.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Unless that manager is Dean Smith.

waiting for that one like a bus.

I always supported Dean....maybe I played devils advocate now and again....

even if I wasn't one of his best believers....I always wanted him to do well.....and still do.

I supported Steve Bruce too, to my detriment, until it was plainly obvious he had to go....not too many can say that on here.

They all did a good job, for what we wanted and where we was at the time.....Even McLeish, did what he Hierarchy wanted, even if that wasn't what the fans wanted.

While they are our manager, doing the best they can to deliver our dreams.....They deserve to be supported, not sniped at.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, jim said:

He barely speaks to the players. Someone on Villa Talk said so.

I have heard off here that he never speaks to the players and they may only speak to him through McAllister and even then they must avert their eyes.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ve worked with a lot of directors in my years, I think it’s not always the case.  I had a sales director who could really engage a room with his speeches about the company or industry, he was tremendously good. His media interviews were just as impressive but his performance as a sales director was poor, his man management skills of his team left his team frustrated and he was relieved of his duties after a particular poor sales year.  I’ve equally had fantastic directors who’ve been excellent across the board.  My career has shown me that you judge each skill separately and being good at one thing may not lead to being good at another and that’s from a junior member all the way to board members.

I agree.

Thats why, SG is still learning.

He may have a command of some skill sets, but learning others.

I guess getting through 5 hours of intense scrutiny, is liable to reveal, some of them.....but I also guess, they wasn't expecting the complete oven ready guy to arrive to manage us.....they too would be looking for Champions league teams, like all the Elite do

How many on here see Gerrards potential to become a great manager?

I think he has the “it” factor. 

Guess time will tell but I really quite like having him in charge of our club. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree.

Thats why, SG is still learning.

He may have a command of some skill sets, but learning others.

I guess getting through 5 hours of intense scrutiny, is liable to reveal, some of them.....but I also guess, they wasn't expecting the complete oven ready guy to arrive to manage us.....they too would be looking for Champions league teams, like all the Elite do

You mention in one of the comments above that SG comes across as an elite manager, I just don’t see that.  I see a man that has had media training all through his playing career because he was one of the best ever in the PL so was always in the spotlight so his media presence I’d expect to be there.  I’ll give him big ups on the recruitment, along with Lange, Purslow and whoever else but for the elite manager, the main part is the football and I don’t see anything to suggest eliteness at all, his decisions have mostly poor and the impact following the initial period of his tenure has been poor.  He makes odd decisions a lot, I just, s far, don’t see anything that I think he could be an elite manager.  I just hope the new season he shows us he has that skill.

As for learning, you know my view on that, I don’t think he was ready for the Villa job and nothing on the pitch to date has changed my mind.  Thankfully if it does go wrong this season, his name, has got us some quality players in the door so the next manager has a good squad.  It’s all irrelevant now as he’s our manager and I will support him a 100% at the ground but he’s got a lot to do to prove he’s worthy of the job in my eyes and even a lot more to say he could be an elite manager one day.

• Like 4

Â