Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

5 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

And we finished 14th

My point is that the strikers situation has sod all to do with his " experience in Scotland " lol.

Although, Man City and Liverpool have won Leagues without traditional " strikers ".

Improve everywhere else in the team and distribute the goals.

Not saying we don't need our strikers to score obs

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I am wondering if his experiance in the SPL is starting to show.You might be able to win the league in Scotland ( if you manage Celtic/Rangers ) without decent strikers,but I dont think that plan will work in the PL.

As far as the starting 11 goes,there again,you might get away with not starting your best 11 in the SPL (Im talking about playing Coutinho instead of Buendia ) but,again I dont think that will work in the PL.

Im still 100% behind him.but,I am seriuosly beginning to wonder if his experiance in the SPL is reflected here.....Time will tell

Man City won the league playing largely without a recognised striker.

9 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

The Liverpool teams of the 80s scored goals from all over the park and won the league,unfortunately thats not us.

• In the main due to.....
  • In part, because we couldn't hang on to a lead.....and inadvertently invited teams back in to the game.
  • Not clinical enough in front of goal.
  • We couldn't keep the ball, for periods of a game.
  • We quite often surrendered the Initiative, by not competing for the ball, quick enough.
  • We presided over a poor home record

5 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

because they have intelligent movement, move the ball quickly, and don't get caught dwelling on it.

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

Yep, it is quite ridiculous. Both the over-zealous criticism of Gerrard as well as the stoic defences of his ability as a manager. Right now he seems to a middling manager (albeit with potential) whose biggest strengths are his pull to sign players (not a bad one) and interviews. I'm on the fence and I won't be too quick to judge either way, but they're needs to be a considerable improvement in our play this season.

Exactly this.

As you say so far middling results - perhaps with mitigating circumstances.

But has a decent quota of his own players him - and despatched one of our promising starlets.

Full pre season nearly complete. And two very easy opening fixtures.

Over to you Stevie.

Yep, it is quite ridiculous. Both the over-zealous criticism of Gerrard as well as the stoic defences of his ability as a manager. Right now he seems to a middling manager (albeit with potential) whose biggest strengths are his pull to sign players (not a bad one) and interviews. I'm on the fence and I won't be too quick to judge either way, but they're needs to be a considerable improvement in our play this season.

The type of balance I like 👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Excellent post. 

Only part I don't agree with is his interviews as they don't do anything for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Excellent post. 

Only part I don't agree with is his interviews as they don't do anything for me.

Get you tin hat on - and bump up that life insurance.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Really hope this thread is not reflective of the coming atmosphere at Villa Park this season. The pressure and expectation is through the roof. We do seem to be a pretty joyless, entitled bunch.

I've criticised our entitlement in the past but sacking Dean for Gerrard and signing the players we have is going to ramp up the expectations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

Really hope this thread is not reflective of the coming atmosphere at Villa Park this season. The pressure and expectation is through the roof. We do seem to be a pretty joyless, entitled bunch.

Expectation? I don’t see many people expecting/hoping for much more than upper mid table and I don’t think that’s particularly unreasonable. But I agree there are some negative nellies.

• Like 1

Â