Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I'm completely indifferent. We'll sack him, look ok for a bit when the new person comes in and then go back to the same shit.

This. I've been in here for ages, and we still have the same discussions and arguments over our shit managers. It's just a never ending cycle. At this point I think the best we can realistically hope for is to not be relegated, maybe have a cup run and the odd beating of teams above us. 

It's sort of how the Premier League works. We just don't have the pulling power on top class managers. 

It looked exactly like last season with the same exact issues. The exact issues you'd expect us to have when looking at that line up.

It's not gonna be fixed by throwing money at it, it's not really a personnel issue it's a coaching/tactics issue. We have a good squad that is so much worse than the sum of it's parts on a weekly basis.

Looks so much like this job was a step or 5 too early for Gerrard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, El Zen said:

I’m kind of hoping we could nab Brendan Rodgers if Leicester are struggling. 

That might be a great option, he'd get a style of play for sure and would trash Leicesters season.

I know he always goes stale after 2-3 seasons but in the Prem we've been stale since 2008, bar 6 months before Jack got injured.

2-3 years of not being stale sounds great 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daft said:

This. I've been in here for ages, and we still have the same discussions and arguments over our shit managers. It's just a never ending cycle. At this point I think the best we can realistically hope for is to not be relegated, maybe have a cup run and the odd beating of teams above us. 

It's sort of how the Premier League works. We just don't have the pulling power on top class managers. 

That, but there's also a deeply entrenched culture of weakness running through the club. Even when we're being well-run right now and things are good off the pitch, we still have that weakness there. Don't think it'll ever be fixed.

• Like 1

I have still seen nothing to suggest Gerrard is a better manager than Deano.

The fact he is Steven Gerrard is great in terms of recruitment for us but it is also 100% the only reason he got the job, with only 3 years experience as a manager of one of the 2 clubs in a 2 club league under his belt. Be surprised if he was still here come the end of the season, hope I'm wrong and we have a stormer of course.

• Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

That, but there's also a deeply entrenched culture of weakness running through the club. Even when we're being well-run right now and things are good off the pitch, we still have that weakness there. Don't think it'll ever be fixed.

But then we chucked the first guy fixing it away the first time he had a really bad spell. 

That promotion, that survival in the final few games when we were dead and buried. 55 pts season. All of that was fixing that culture we'd become used to. We were doing things to fix it and first proper bad spell and he's gone. And I'm 100% convinced it's because Purslow panicked that someone else would get Gerrard before us. 

• Like 1

I want Gerrard to succeed. I want him to prove me wrong and shove my pessimism about him down my throat.

At the moment, I'm yet to see anything from him that indicates that will happen. He has looked utterly out of his depth from day one.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

We have a top 10 squad. Any capable manager could make a team out of this lot

It's not the Lambert squad ffs, 6 or 7 of our team have a chance to win the World Cup in a few months not Jordan Bowery and Ciaran Clark

I agree that we have a top 10 squad, I just don't have any faith that any manager we could realistically get will actually change much in the long run. And that's not a defence of Gerrard, more just a resignation at the deep culture of mental weakness we have running through the club.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But then we chucked the first guy fixing it away the first time he had a really bad spell. 

That promotion, that survival in the final few games when we were dead and buried. 55 pts season. All of that was fixing that culture we'd become used to. We were doing things to fix it and first proper bad spell and he's gone. And I'm 100% convinced it's because Purslow panicked that someone else would get Gerrard before us. 

Except by the time Smith was fired he wasn't fixing it. Gerrard is increasingly looking like the wrong appointment but the decision to get rid of Smith when we did was absolutely justified and I find the constant resurgence of Smith revisionism weird.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Yes Gerrard but is it OK to ask what the **** Aaron Danks is doing at Bodymoor? We’ve been shit ever since he was given to Deano.

Yep, the whole backroom needs to go, they’ve accomplished nothing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, penguin said:

I have still seen nothing to suggest Gerrard is a better manager than Deano.

The fact he is Steven Gerrard is great in terms of recruitment for us but it is also 100% the only reason he got the job, with only 3 years experience as a manager of one of the 2 clubs in a 2 club league under his belt. Be surprised if he was still here come the end of the season, hope I'm wrong and we have a stormer of course.

Smith had to go but it’s hard to argue gerrard has been better so far - today was bad , very very bad - he needs a response and fast 

• Like 3

Â