The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

The only thing I really care about with Gerrard (and his team) is do they have the tactical nous to allow us to control games and break down well organised defences. That is a pretty high bar to clear these days in the Prem. Smith (I’m still sad about that) ultimately failed that test bar a good run last year which was mostly down to Jack being different gravy. 

Edited by villaglint

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Tavernier?

His stats are incredible for a right back. Goals and assists. Incredible whipped delivery. Can get caught out defensively. Will he be able to oust a Polish internationalist though. Captain of Rangers and very inspirational. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I thought Gerrard was our new manager not Beale.;

Like another poster has already pointed out maybe we should have just kept Dean and brought him in as a coach if he's that highly regarded and not bring the circus along with him.

Would have probably been significantly cheaper as well.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

This should not matter one bit tbh

It only comes onto play if the manager doesn't really have the experience for the job. For example Gareth Barry manages Celtic for 3 seasons and wins 3 league titles, then gets linked with the Villa job, me and most fans would be somewhat accepting despite his lack of top level experience.

But Gerrard can do one. Even if he turned out to be good, he would leave Villa as soon as Liverpool flutter their eyelids.

We must not take a risk on a manager that hasn't proven to be a top quality operator. If they aren't a top quality operator then they need to have the club in their hearts. Because that love will push them to really strive for the club, and put the clubs interests first before their own.

Gerrard can do one!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Great move by stevie to lure him from eastenders 👍

I can just about live with a Scouser at the helm, but he’s pushing his luck bringing that cockney weasel with him. If we haven’t won at least a throw in within the first 10 minutes at The Amex I want them both out. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I think these types of coaches are very underrated. Losing ROK was one of the nails in the coffin for Smith. Culverhouse was similar for Lambert and there was a chap whose name I can't remember who was the brains behind MON and he struggled everywhere he went without him.

John Robertson?

Just now, villaglint said:

The only thing I really care about with Gerrard (and his team) is do they have the tactical nous to allow us to control games and break down well organised defences. That is a pretty high bar to clear these days in the Prem. Smith (I’m still sad about that) ultimately failed that test bar a good run last year which was mostly down to Jack being different heavy. 

To be fair they've been cutting their cloth in one of the most competitive, world class leagues in europe. At least Sky Sports will drool over us and Purslow can get a signed photo

1 minute ago, Stoobs said:

His stats are incredible for a right back. Goals and assists. Incredible whipped delivery. Can get caught out defensively. Will he be able to oust a Polish internationalist though. Captain of Rangers and very inspirational. 

You can't read a damn thing into stats in the farmers league. Scott Sinclair could bang them in up there, it's a joke

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

The cat that got the cream though, there’s a few other managers I would understand Purslow feeling that way but not with Gerrard. I hope it pays off 

I'm also underwhelmed tbh. I also heard it was wrapped up and in a way hope it was BS. I don't think so though. I agree, it's not a lottery win.

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

But...

"But Villa are now poised to make a formal approach to Rangers and attempt to strike a multi-million compensation deal to take Gerrard back to England after three-and-a-half years at Ibrox."

The article is pure clickbait

Yes. This guy is supposed to be a reliable journo for Rangers and a lot of their fans think he's off now that this journo has put his name to the story.

either way, looks like it's happening. 

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This Beale bloke seems to be the second coming of the lord the longer these rumours rumble on. Let's hope he lives up to the hype, eh

on here that was MacPhee 6 weeks ago

• Sad 1