The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wouldn’t say it’s negativity towards him just that some posters like me would prefer someone else (I’ve mentioned who numerous times and described their benefits).

However on the flip side I have also mentioned that the youngsters and our midfield will immediately benefit as hearing how a truly world class player did things will definitely be a positive.

No great record of bringing through academy players at Rangers when having ample opportunities given the weak opponents they generally face. Maybe that will change here but I'd say the likes of Chukwuemka and co would certainly have benefited more from Favre who has a serious track record when it comes to having faith with and developing youth.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

But who is claiming that, that is literally farming a weird agenda out of nothing, Purslow can't and won't act alone without oversight, this jobs for mates guff is laughable.

I don't particularly even want Gerrard but making out he has been given an unfair advantage is just dog waffle.

Purslow is likely leading the process and rumours suggest he favours Gerrard linked to his prior relationship with him.  

I’ve worked in many companies at a high level, probably like yourself when a new big boss comes in they over time bring in people they know into positions of authority.  Some of those people are great and some aren’t.

I’ve done it myself when I’ve hired people I know and trust into positions working for me.  There is even terms for it like ‘the old boys club’…’jobs for the boys’…we know it happens, we’ve seen it happen.  Yes there will be oversight but seeing as he’s likely leading the process it’s easy to favour somebody in the process and it leans that way…not always to the benefit.  I mean the rumours are Gerrard bringing in his own backroom staff (rightly I would say) but that’s not even assessing the current remaining staff like Cutler whose been excellent.  

If you don’t think there is a lot of relationship hiring that goes on in any walk of life, I’ve got a bridge to sell you!  

If you don’t think there are much better candidates out there that would come to us than Gerrard, I don’t know what to tell you.

Why, if the rumours are true, is Gerrard being favoured over better candidates? It can only be Purslow!

• Like 3

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

No great record of bringing through academy players at Rangers when having ample opportunities given the weak opponents they generally face. Maybe that will change here but I'd say the likes of Chukwuemka and co would certainly have benefited more from Favre who has a serious track record when it comes to having faith with and developing youth.

I agree hence why I wanted Gallardo to come here. However we cannot deny the fact that Steven Gerrard giving our youngsters a bit of advice is anything other than a positive.

I am not that excited by Gerrard, this is mainly due to his links to liverpool, where I see it as best case scenario, he does well here and leaves to join them.. also PTSD from Houllier and his love for liverpool still hunts me today.

I have though, after reading a bit and seeing some videos, become a bit more excited, not least by us getting Beale. I like that Gerrard sees his limitations and hires others that are more qualified than him to do jobs, Beale, for instance, seems a like an absolute world class coach. The bounce and respect Gerrard will get from players, is similar to the respect Zidane got from Real Madrid players, there is no way that players will not be excited to work with him.

Looking at his tactics, Villa seem like a really good fit for him and his approach, players we have would most likely fit quite naturally into his Rangers team. I believe the first change we will see, is Buendia on the left, where I think he will thrive. He seems to play entertaining and good football, but if he is able to translate that to a midtable premier league team is another question. Also I don't think he has promoted many youth players, but that may well be because Rangers just don't have any, Beale's past definitely suggests that he is willing to promote and improves young players.

Gerrard would not be my first choice, but I am starting to think he might actually be a really good fit.

So let the relegation battle commence.

I don’t care that he is a scouser, the Liverpool connection, dodgy tackles, beating DJ’s up, going to Liverpool in 2 years, none of that matters to me at all.

The crux is I don’t think he is significant step up that we were promised or that he has the tools needed to keep us up never mind  to Europe.

I genuinely hope he proves me wrong, but I have little confidence this is the right move for Villa no matter what nepotistic Purslow may think.  It does clearly show the owners (lack of) ambition though, personally I think Newcastle got the better deal in Eddie Howe.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Also don't understand the negativity towards Gerrard as a replacement. 

More about we could’ve done a lot better and also less risky than Gerrard rather than negativity!

• Like 1

What a terrible appointment, everyone all aboard the travelling circus,

I would like to see the shortlist if he's our choice.

I think we will be looking for another manager in the summer lets hope were still in the prem.

• Like 2

Just now, AshVilla said:

What a terrible appointment, everyone all aboard the travelling circus,

I would like to see the shortlist if he's our choice.

I think we will be looking for another manager in the summer lets hope were still in the prem.

Well, if Martinez truly is second choice, I'll keep my thoughts on Purslow and our owners to myself.

• Like 1