The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Just now, HKP90 said:

You say due diligence, but with no track record, that just amounts to his attitude at the interview.

When you compare him with someone who has managed at the top level before it IS a gamble. 

Long term planning by it’s nature involves reducing risk and uncertainty as much as possible. That’s why it’s a plan.

He has managed nearly 200 games. I was surprised too, but he has been there for over 3 seasons. They have competed well in Europe also during this time. 

Being experienced in the Premier League doesn’t automatically reduce the risk. It’s the same debate we have when signing players. 

I’m not advocating for him, but perhaps they are weighting certain risk factors differently to you. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Yep, was envious of them when it seemed nailed on but that it came so close to happening would give me hope that we could pull it off. He's the ideal candidate for me.

Indeed, that occurred to me. He must be open to a switch to the PL

8 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Wasn’t Favre heavily linked with Palace in the summer, only to pull out late in the process? I would suggest that makes him “available” to us. 

Yes, he was definitely linked with them and then withdrew late on. I have to say Favre appeals to me more than Gerrard, if for no other reason than the experience of managing in a league with such a high level of scrutiny.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He has managed nearly 200 games. I was surprised too, but he has been there for over 3 seasons. They have competed well in Europe also during this time. 

Being experienced in the Premier League doesn’t automatically reduce the risk. It’s the same debate we have when signing players. 

I’m not advocating for him, but perhaps they are weighting certain risk factors differently to you. 

Ahh the old "needs to have Premier League experience '. I remember that one.

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You say due diligence, but with no track record, that just amounts to his attitude at the interview.

When you compare him with someone who has managed at the top level before it IS a gamble. 

Long term planning by it’s nature involves reducing risk and uncertainty as much as possible. That’s why it’s a plan.

But you would have AVB?

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, he was definitely linked with them and then withdrew late on. I have to say Favre appeals to me more than Gerrard, if for no other reason than the experience of managing in a league with such a high level of scrutiny.

What I like about Favre is he's got good record of dragging underperforming clubs from mid table or lower and getting them into europe pretty quickly.

He did an incredible job at 'Gladbach and did pretty well at Nice (indeed better than Vieria did). Dortmund was so-so, won a cup but didn't really challenge Bayern seriously. Mind you was same for Tuchel aswell.

He's proven and the sort who'd quickly get respect of squad I think so if he's seriously on our radar I'd go for him all day long over Gerrard.

He also finished 4th in Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin in 08/09. Poor start to next season saw him sacked.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Fair enough, and I respect that, but of those 200 games, how many were dead rubbers? 

It’s not the same risk as signing players with no experience. This will decide the direction of the club for the next few years.

I suppose one skill he has been demonstrating is avoiding complacency when facing inferior teams. Tbf we’ve always made hard work of supposedly poor teams. We always lose cup games to bloody lower league teams.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gompedyret said:

Kasper Hjulmand? Can't help but feeling this is one of the most exciting links. Though managing a national side is different than a PL team, there's no denying his success.

Success, you mean like Southgate? Both of them have truly dreadful records in club management. I’d be surprised and concerned if we appointed him. Probably just a lazy link because of Lang. 

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've decided I want Andre Villas-Boas.

Thank you.

34 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

For info - I’ve decided I want Marcelo Gallardo

25 minutes ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

* ralf rangnick - So I don't think we will go for it - I keep mention him since 2014 each manager time sack, i still want him. Even i been link to his youtube about his tactical.

These are my favourites from all the names mentioned tonight.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Ahh the old "needs to have Premier League experience '. I remember that one.

Don’t think anyone has said that, just that they’d prefer experience from, say, the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 to the SPL. As I said before it’s like getting a manager from League One - which is not necessarily a problem, we don’t have a bad track record with managers from the lower leagues….

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Well worth a look at Favre's wiki:

This guy knows how to go in and improve mid ranking clubs with reasonable budgets in major leagues. Sounds like us dosen't it.

I don’t know much about him at all but sounds like he’d be a reasonable shout.

Importantly, both formations are particularly useful for pressing, because of the natural diamonds that can be created, and the inclination towards protecting central areas in defence, even if the shape stretches in attacking phases. Both formations also allow for verticality in attack, aiding in River Plate's quick transitions and fluid tiki-taka. Finally, in both formations, width is free to come from the fullbacks, who often push high up the pitch and overlap central midfielders.

if anyone wants a read. P.S Julian Alvarez would definitely be a Villan if we had Gallardo.

https://www.rdftactics.com/post/marcelogallardotactics-riverplatetacticalanalysis-bestfm21tactics

• Thanks 1

Think we will do better with a foreign coach than an English one, thi k it's obvious as well as to how English Manager fair to foreign Managers.

Owners have to be sensible here, if they want to win things and get our lads playing next level football, they are going to spend big. If they are happy to be a statistic in this league then the Smith sacking makes no sense, but if they want to go somewhere and get Europe they are going to have to gamble...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Yep, was envious of them when it seemed nailed on but that it came so close to happening would give me hope that we could pull it off. He's the ideal candidate for me.

Oh wow, that actually gives me hope. If he was considering Palace, then we have a chance.

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

But you would have AVB?

Managed two clubs in the PL, got club record points haul with Spurs just missing out on CL spot, 2nd place in Ligue 1 with Marseille, managed in five countries, won the league in two (admittedly not top leagues), got european coach of the year one year.

He’s got more of a track record than Gerrard for sure.

• Like 2