The next manager of Aston Villa

TrentVilla

Rodgers had much less resources at Swansea than Gerrard would have with us, so Swansea finishing midtable was a much bigger achievement than us finishing around eighth would be. Also Swansea had a reputation for playing Barcelona type football which was very much in vogue at the time, so I  think that also helped Rodgers get the Liverpool job.

4 minutes ago, Swerbs said:

Tbf every manager is moving on if they're successful with us, apart from maybe the one we just had.

I think this is an excellent point, and similarly to players, if we can bring someone in, have them improve us, drag us up the table, and they go off to a different oppurtunity, it puts us in a better position to attract a better candidate next time around. We're not recruiting for a bride, here, it's not a lifelong commitment

Gerrard plays 433 like Liverpool do wirh inverted wingers and rampaging full backs.

Got a really good coach there at Rangers who has coached all over the place apparently who runs training with Gerrard as the figurehead.

Gerrard Will call his players out in public apparently and doesnt stand for any shit whatsoever

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This was obvious before the season started that it would cause issues, you’d like to think if Dean wanted a DM we’d have signed one. 

If the club really wanted one we would have signed one instead they focused on attacking players.

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. Every appointment is a gamble of course, but I just don’t see this one as one worth taking. 

Press = spunkfest sold as an audition for Liverpool.

Worst case = He fails, winning a 2 horse race isn’t enough of a CV for me

Best case = He does well then leaves for Liverpool in 2yrs.

I don't really have an issue with the idea that a successful manager, whoever they are, might become a target for others to pinch.

My issue with Gerrard is... Well, the SPL is a 2 horse race and Celtic's wheels have fallen off. That CV doesn't fill me with confidence and this appointment has to be one that gives us the best chance of improvement and getting to that next level. That's not Gerrard. He might do it, he might be the greatest manager ever in it making, but you'd be taking a punt, a big punt. Any appointment is a gamble but he would be an enormous one. One we shouldn't make.

The other stuff, the Liverpool fawning stuff, would also count against him. but would be secondary to the gamble he represents.

Even if Gerrard rocks up somewhere else and is a rollicking success, we still shouldn't have appointed him in the current position we find ourselves.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Gerrard plays 433 like Liverpool do wirh inverted wingers and rampaging full backs.

Got a really good coach there at Rangers who has coached all over the place apparently who runs training with Gerrard as the figurehead.

Gerrard Will call his players out in public apparently and doesnt stand for any shit whatsoever

I guess one thing is, he would be respected, doesn't appear to take any shite, and being the player he was, wouldn't accept anything less than 100 percent.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

Whoever it is I suspect it’ll be underwhelming. Newcastle and a blank cheque struggled.

I think they might have struggled because Managers straight up knew they were stop gaps.

Some probably don't want to be associated with the regime, and some probably don't want to risk a relegation on their CV.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Would be terrible if it was Gerrard. His experience is with the Rangers and why would we want a manager that don't want to win at Anfield?

Knocked out and lost both games against Malmö FF in the CL qualifiers despite Rangers playing most of the home tie against 10 men.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

Knocked out and lost both games against Malmö FF in the CL qualifiers despite Rangers playing most of the home tie against 10 men.

and the other 212 games? 

Its a gamble but pulling a bad game out isn’t really justification for not bringing someone in.