• Watkins
    • Nakamba (McGinn 40)
    • Bailey (Targett 61)
    • Young (Bailey 82)
    • Traoré (Cash 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/21 at 22:59

12 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Maybe @villalad21 was right, maybe 4-3-3 was the right decision? I personally didn’t think the 3-5-2 worked today like it did against Chelsea: Ramsey, Watkins and McGinn were red hot then, not tonight, and again, Ings was peripheral - we didn’t buy him to assist goals from our own half? 

I bigged up Smith big time last week, but today I reckon he made a few wrong calls, and the benched players made the difference.

this is not an anti Smith post. I just think Benitez got it right for the most part and Smith wasn’t brave enough, I hope he realises what talent we have and has the balls to play to our strengths. I note Neil on For the love of Paul McGrath suggested the league has turned to favour those who attack, maybe he’s right and maybe we now have the talent to exploit that? Today suggested that was the case.

To be fair we probably did, amongst other things.

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Maybe @villalad21 was right, maybe 4-3-3 was the right decision? I personally didn’t think the 3-5-2 worked today like it did against Chelsea: Ramsey, Watkins and McGinn were red hot then, not tonight, and again, Ings was peripheral - we didn’t buy him to assist goals from our own half? 

I bigged up Smith big time last week, but today I reckon he made a few wrong calls, and the benched players made the difference.

this is not an anti Smith post. I just think Benitez got it right for the most part and Smith wasn’t brave enough, I hope he realises what talent we have and has the balls to play to our strengths. I note Neil on For the love of Paul McGrath suggested the league has turned to favour those who attack, maybe he’s right and maybe we now have the talent to exploit that? Today suggested that was the case.

Huh? We didn’t go 4-3-3. We stayed at 3-5-2, just with a very attacking wing back.

34 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I was watching in a bar in Benalmadena. Me and 6 Everton fans. At half time I  said to them typical Villa V Everton draw. They snapped me down and said they were the better team and would win. Only one of us shouting in the second half. One of them said at the end. You were lucky but.must be pleased. I said not really  I had a fiver on 4:1. They left the bar before I did 

Lucky you, I was in a bar in Tenerife with 4 bluenoses and 3 toffees 

• Shocked 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

happy with a 3-0 win, but not gonna let myself be fooled, we were really bad for large chunks of the game.

Bailey came on and really changed the game for 20 minutes, but once again, we cant go relying on one player to come and dig us out of a hole.

Personally i was more impressed when i saw Hause last season, than i have been with what i have seen from Tuanzebe this season.

Cash and Targett look very one dimensional at times, Ramsey is neat and tidy but didnt do anything much, i wont knock Ramsey overall but if he is playing as that forward midfielder of the 3 he needs to be more productive, i think with the way he currently plays he would be good as a tidy player as part of the double pivot,i think the midfield lacked creativity overall.

I thought we looked better when McGinn went off.

Ings worked hard, so did Watkins, but both with little joy, for most of the game they were both very isolated.

Of course Bailey came on and was a total baller, brilliant performance from him.

As i say, a good win, we did deserve the win, but at the same time we didnt play well as a team for most of the game.

Im really hoping we see Bailey & Buendia as regular starters sooner rather than later, we need their spark imo.

Ok, I think some of these negatives should surely be mitigated by the horrendous preseason. Our best eleven (if we even know what that is) hasn't played together in competition for more than a few minutes. Give it time, the fact that once we scored we outclassed a very good side is surely cause for optimism.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I thought Cash was MotM, he gave a display full of heart and aggression and running and played some nice stuff even without his goal.

Just brown nosing to a mod ... I agree with this. Probably  five minutes before Cash's goal I thought if nothing changes Cash is getting my MotM! And then he scored and the game changed completely.

11 minutes ago, thunderball said:

for the most part and Smith wasn’t brave enough

Statements like these I find interesting. I am not sure how one can say that. I am completely unknowledgeable as to what goes on at Bodymoor. Did we need we need to risk Bailey's injury. Bailey was completely entertaining, I just hope his goal and a half were worth Smith bringing him on. I rated Dean average ... in that his subs by and large were dictated by the situation and the set up was fine. At times it looked like a really old fashioned 2, 3, 5. I found my self worrying by some Everton hoofball leaving ourselves exposed at the back. 

Martinez ... pretty routine day at the office, I recall caught one in his arms and followed the other shots wide.  Fairly commanding on the crosses. Second clean sheet but the defence contributed to that immensely!

Cash ... discussed.

Taunzebe ... did not stick out for me in a good or bad way. Which overall is good.

Konsa ... again OK, lucky to get away with the hold just outside of the penalty box. Otherwise a solid performance.

Mings ... An impressive performance, I thought he was the strongest of the back line

Targett ...  Did OK, but as others have noted his successful crosses were few.

Luiz ...  He was effective, corners, defensive effort, a real nuisance in mid field.

McGinn ... A workhorse, trust he'll be OK.

Nakamba ... My eye is not picking him out yet, which I suppose is not a bad thing.

Ramsey ... I thought he had a good game, seemed assured considering his youth and experience. 

Bailey ... his 21 minutes had a huge impact. I thought Bailey was right footed or at least prefers playing on the right ...  well struck on his left either way.

Young ...  Did not score any goals. 

Watkins ...  a couple of attempts, harried the defence, a couple of attempts. Goals will come.

Ings ... Here he too harried the defense ... Everton seemed to contain him (and Watkins). But at the expense of Bailey's and Cash's goals. 

The referee ... pretty average ... missed one major call I thought (in our favour) so not too bad compared to what I have seen in the past.

7 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Leon Bailey - Instant Impact, simple....what a player he is going to be. Very refreshing to see somebody who has no fear, isnt afraid to run, take people on, and most importantly, have a shot.

LOL sounds like a certain now-departed player...

• Shocked 1

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Having options on the bench that can change games is the difference. 

Those injuries today would have cost us the game in the past, still work in progress but we just keep on moving forward. As other posters have said, we owe so much to NWSE.

We do but this window was solely the Grealish money. 

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Having options on the bench that can change games is the difference. 

Those injuries today would have cost us the game in the past, still work in progress but we just keep on moving forward. As other posters have said, we owe so much to NWSE.

Does that mean we are stronger having sold Jack and bought 3 quality players which increases quality across the first XI and increases quality on the bench?

Â