• Watkins
    • Nakamba (McGinn 40)
    • Bailey (Targett 61)
    • Young (Bailey 82)
    • Traoré (Cash 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/21 at 22:59

14 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Statistics are there to be broken. 

Statistics are just what they are, statistics, just event recording data.

its what you do, that determines outcomes and results

Comments like this from Everton fan on there site is lovely to see:

(I was actually at Villa Park last night (Holte End) because my son lives in Birmingham and I was so impressed by the atmosphere. The Villa fans got behind their players from the first whistle to the last. They were every bit the proverbial 12th man.)

Then you get one that made me laugh:

(It's great to see that Villa players still go to the same Hairdressers as Grealish.)

Its lovely to see that Hair comments are still being aimed at us, am afraid were stuck with that despite Grealish gone 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

Everton are resillient and hard to beat, sitting in the top half of the table, we couldn't afford to go Gung ho.....They had got good results against Burnley and Brighton , who are also tough competitors.

I though we set up correctly, start slowly, stay in the game and grow in to the game....this all guns blazing, would have us lose that game.

Dean was perfect in his execution and tactically won the day, against a well seasoned campaigner.

Bailey, provided that step up in class and effervescence, which got us over the line.....but lets be honest, it wasn't easy for an hour of a tough contest.

I would also like to praise Luiz and Nakamba for excellent displays.....couldn't fault anyone today.

No defiantly not. Great game 2nd half.

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We do but this window was solely the Grealish money. 

True....but didn't they say the big plan, was to make us self sustainable, surely in light of the Derby debacle, its sensible housekeeping.

We keep our powder dry, for any future opportunities....Its nice to be in the black and have that confidence to deal, when we see a clear and obvious need.

Has the Grealish money been spent or banked?, it depends on how the accounting has been done.

All I feel is this club is being well run.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

I was watching in a bar in Benalmadena. Me and 6 Everton fans. At half time I  said to them typical Villa V Everton draw. They snapped me down and said they were the better team and would win. Only one of us shouting in the second half. One of them said at the end. You were lucky but.must be pleased. I said not really  I had a fiver on 4:1. They left the bar before I did 

We was Lucky....

• Lucky to have Bailey
  • Lucky to have a partisan crowd
  • Lucky to have a tactically aware manager
  • Lucky to have a miserly back line to keep a clean sheet.

yes I guess we were Lucky.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BG_Villa_Fan said:

Love the man, he's doing a great job considering the circumstances. He's not had a settled squad yet this season, so there's a reason to hope for gradual improvement. 

That said, I'll call my inner Villalad and say that I don't think they're doing the 3-5-2 thing very well at all. Especially when it comes to building up the play from the back - the wing backs are too high up the pitch and rarely present themselves as options for the center back with the ball to pass to. Very often even Nakamba and Luiz were missing too and there was no one to pass to in order to advance the ball, leading to poor long passes. They've lost the ball in dangerous areas multiple times because of this and it'll be punished against better pressing teams. Obviously, it takes time to adjust to new formations, but I think they have to change some things tactically if they're looking to proceed with this formation. 

Yes against a better team we would have paid for that. I know Everton started the season well but with injuries that was a pretty poor Everton team that we played yesterday. 

14 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Lucky you, I was in a bar in Tenerife with 4 bluenoses and 3 toffees 

blimey, it seems you can reach the sun pretty easily on benefits, nowadays.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, robby b said:

I feel quite fond of Everton these days with a league win against them in each of our three seasons since promotion and no defeat. Exactly the same with Newcastle. 

Everton has won 9 league titles. 

They are a massive football club. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, romavillan said:

Ok, I think some of these negatives should surely be mitigated by the horrendous preseason. Our best eleven (if we even know what that is) hasn't played together in competition for more than a few minutes. Give it time, the fact that once we scored we outclassed a very good side is surely cause for optimism.

I think you are right....despite the scoreline, Everton are no mugs, sure they lost and we won......but I think they will still have a decent season and be in the top half of the table.

We shouldn't think we can just blow teams away......some of our containment work, was not to be sniffed at and it contributed to the platform of the last half hour.

We have to learn to respect the opposition and in doing so, we learn to appreciate the work of our own team more.

It was a hard fought game...despite our fabulous scoreline.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes against a better team we would have paid for that. I know Everton started the season well but with injuries that was a pretty poor Everton team that we played yesterday. 

We had more injuries in game then what they've had to out up with, we were/are just considerably better.

13 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

WE DIDN'T CHANGE FORMATION 🙄

Well done Dean, well done team! Shaded first half then ran out worthy winners with MOTM Bailey's cameo.

Thought Mings was very good and also Nakamba proving that he's more than capable regardless of what many on here think.

Some of the comments in the match thread are laughable, it's like people have absolutely no faith in our manager. He knows what he's doing. Bailey will start games soon. As will Buendia. He has real options now. And I have every faith in him 💜💙

Bravo....I was suitably impressed too....kept the midfield ticking over nicely, not spectacular, just sufficenty efficient....which led to him looking composed on the ball....big plaudits from me.

consistency is his only target now.

• Like 1

We weren't brilliant at all yesterday, but watching it back we're the better team considerably.

Maybe the 352 is one that will work better against the better sides.

We know Deano will want to head back towards 433 and it's up to him to deal with the puzzle of getting Ings, Bailey, Buendia and Watkins all on the pitch.

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

We was Lucky....

• Lucky to have Bailey
  • Lucky to have a partisan crowd
  • Lucky to have a tactically aware manager
  • Lucky to have a miserly back line to keep a clean sheet.

yes I guess we were Lucky.

And the more we practice the luckier we get

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

We had more injuries in game then what they've had to out up with, we were/are just considerably better.

We have a better squad that is true but asking fullbacks to the jobs of wingers is not the way we should go forward. So hopefully the team adapts as the season progresses. But i prefer the 4-3-3 system. 

• Like 1

Â