January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

4 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

a little bit of rape didnt stop utd signing ronaldo...

I think British law might come down a bit tougher than Nevada state law on it though. Although the way British lawmakers have been conducting themselves lately…

29 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It'll be hard to have a pathway for academy players with too many in the squad, so I think we'd need to sell a few players before necessarily getting more senior ones in. It looks like Gerrard has the idea of playing Carney/Ramsey as an attacking player, inside forward I suppose, so it may be best to move El Ghazi and Trez on.

I could get excited with that....JJ is establishing himself and CC is showing real promise.

If we can steer clear of the trap door and I have every reason the believe we can.....The development of those 2 could be high on his list.

I could possibly see Trez being kept on, as he has a nose for the back post as a predator, and he has a defensive side to his game.....it just depends how SG's camp see it.

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's just as fanciful. 

I like where your mind's at.

Anyways. I wasn't actually suggesting Nkunku for Buendia, hence my original comment of "can we trade them." Sarcasm. Obviously it's not realistic now. And I'm just using any excuse I can to bring up his name.

We might need to sell some of our squad  players but we’re in a great position now in terms of what we’ll get for them. I think the days of losing players for peanuts, or players running their contracts down and leaving for free are over. Our squad has improved and we should be looking to make a profit on a lot of these players (contract dependant of course). 

How much did we pay for El Ghazi? £8m? He’s worth double that at least now he’s an established premier league player with a decent goal scoring record. I can see Trez being worth more than we bought him for, Nakamba too in this form. It’s a nice change from the previous years, Grealish fee aside. 

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I could get excited with that....JJ is establishing himself and CC is showing real promise.

If we can steer clear of the trap door and I have every reason the believe we can.....The development of those 2 could be high on his list.

I could possibly see Trez being kept on, as he has a nose for the back post as a predator, and he has a defensive side to his game.....it just depends how SG's camp see it.

It's an odd position for us because there's not an awful lot wrong with the squad right now - certainly more technical quality than we're used to as villa fans. Change I feel is going to be incremental and expensive, as improving the first team now is going to mean big bucks for someone who could definitely cut it in the first XI. I'm fine for us to go slower and give our young players the time to develop though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

We might need to sell some of our squad  players but we’re in a great position now in terms of what we’ll get for them. I think the days of losing players for peanuts, or players running their contracts down and leaving for free are over. Our squad has improved and we should be looking to make a profit on a lot of these players (contract dependant of course). 

How much did we pay for El Ghazi? £8m? He’s worth double that at least now he’s an established premier league player with a decent goal scoring record. I can see Trez being worth more than we bought him for, Nakamba too in this form. It’s a nice change from the previous years, Grealish fee aside. 

Yep. And Transfermarkt has him at valued at a little about $14 million now

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It's an odd position for us because there's not an awful lot wrong with the squad right now - certainly more technical quality than we're used to as villa fans. Change I feel is going to be incremental and expensive, as improving the first team now is going to mean big bucks for someone who could definitely cut it in the first XI. I'm fine for us to go slower and give our young players the time to develop though.

I'm with you on this....I have not been convinced our talent is lacking, its been application with me, that was in doubt...but it does have a knock on effect and a lack of application, can look like lack of talent at times.

right now, we are showing with our talent, confidence and our application, we have concocted a higher level intensity....still someway to go, slicker passing up front, quicker movement of the ball, bit more possession and a bit sharper to the second balls and we will be well away.....it takes time, but in few months, I expect to see a bit more improvement added as the information gets through....its been really good so far, but you can't eat an Elephant in one bite.

I am chuffed to bits in the bits and pieces so far, and as SG has admitted, long way to go too.

We do need to start a bit better too, because we won't always be able to weather the storm...but we have to walk first, before we can run.

To be honest, I’d sell Trez and El Ghazi this winter. If we had Bailey, Traore back. We’ll still Buendia and Bidace. We can still play with 5 CM too. 
I won’t so panic buys though. Introducing Chuck, Bidace, A.Ramsey is actually as adding squad players. 
I think potentially to be a proper European team we’ll only depend on Emi,Konsa,McGinn probably Bailey.

Mings, Buendia, Luiz and Watkins might also be there if they improved. But others could only be squad players (apart from youngsters who may step up). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I like where your mind's at.

Anyways. I wasn't actually suggesting Nkunku for Buendia, hence my original comment of "can we trade them." Sarcasm. Obviously it's not realistic now. And I'm just using any excuse I can to bring up his name.

I wasn't referring to a trade tbf, more the idea of him as a target. He's not some up and coming well-kept secret, he's a well-known established talent playing for a Champions League team - very few clubs would be able to sign him and we're nowhere near them.

Edited by lexicon
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I wasn't referring to a trade tbf, more the idea of him as a target. He's not some up and coming well-kept secret, he's a well-known established talent playing for a Champions League team - very few clubs would be able to sign him and we're nowhere near them.

Has been linked with City last week. Surely he will come here instead 😉

• Haha 1

It wouldn't surprise me if traore got sounded out for a transfer, trez too.  Not because I want them to go, just not sure they'll suit the narrow style. Long term, Bailey isn't a Gerrard player from what I've seen so far..

9 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Nobody is making an offer for him currently, the only club dumb enough would be Newcastle, I’m not going to jump to conclusions and say he’s done this that and the other it’s such a broad grey area, but it would be so Newcastle to buy a player for £60m only for him to get banged up before their final games 🤣

I heard there was a misunderstanding regarding a sweet in his pocket at the clubs kids Christmas party 

26 minutes ago, Adman said:

It wouldn't surprise me if traore got sounded out for a transfer, trez too.  Not because I want them to go, just not sure they'll suit the narrow style. Long term, Bailey isn't a Gerrard player from what I've seen so far..

Traore is at his best inside

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Traore would be perfect for a narrow style he’s hardly Ryan Giggs hugging the touchline is he

This is actually true. I’m not Traore’s biggest fan but I’d argue as long as he puts in the work rate, this system could really suit him. 

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Right and I'm not suggesting he's some sort of hidden gem nor am I trying to suggest he is a viable target anytime soon. Even when I was throwing around his name on this board over the summer, I said we would have to be a CL team for that sort of target to be realistic. But to compare him to Haaland or Mbappe, both of whom are well north of 100 million, is a bit ridiculous.

I'm not sure where people have this idea that Gerrard always plays with narrow wingers, or two No.10s, maybe he does sometimes, but Ryan Kent probably Ranger's best attacking player and someone who I presume played pretty much every time he was available, isn't a No.10 or someone who plays tucked inside, he plays as a winger in the same sense that players like El Ghazi, and Trezeguet play as wingers.

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not sure where people have this idea that Gerrard always plays with narrow wingers, or two No.10s, maybe he does sometimes, but Ryan Kent probably Ranger's best attacking player and someone who I presume played pretty much every time he was available, isn't a No.10 or someone who plays tucked inside, he plays as a winger in the same sense that players like El Ghazi, and Trezeguet play as wingers.

Fair dos, never watched them so take your word for it.