January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I know its heresy but I never rated Petrov and still dont.

Was going to make 2nd post that forum was always 50/50 split about him but all the naysayers laid off after he got sick. I don't think it's heresy. Always thought he was bang average made look better by the good players around him. Actually think he was partially reason 6th was our limit

18 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He really was. Saw him in my first game at VP brought on 1-0 down against Newcastle at HT. Petrov was putrid and disappeared for weeks and Gabby hooked as well for Maloney and Harewood and we won 4-1. I'm playing over 35s tourney this Sunday(well not me probably because quad fooked) and teammate from Aberdeen, his football claim to fame is he played against Maloney at youth level

That's correct, I believe he was with Aberdeen at some point but they let him go as he was too small.

Good luck for your game too!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Was going to make 2nd post that forum was always 50/50 split about him but all the naysayers laid off after he got sick. I don't think it's heresy. Always thought he was bang average made look better by the good players around him. Actually think he was partially reason 6th was our limit

Nah I think it’s unfair, he was par for the course if you take out the stars. He was a top 10 premier league midfielder at least. The depth in the squad was the problem.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I think a lot of people turned on him after a poor start to his villa career and then never gave him a chance after that. Minds made up.

He was one of my favourite players. Don’t often have players names on the back but got his.  Was our most consistent performer in my opinion.

31 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I agree with this. I always thought he was fairly pedestrian and never really lived up to the player we thought he was when we signed him from Celtic. 

9 hours ago, alexvilla4 said:

I would love 3 players in Jan to make the 1st team stronger 

Keiran Tierney- £35m. Would be a real statement signing spending this much on a left back and would be perfect for us in a Gerrard team. Injuries are a bit of a concern though and doubt Arsenal would sell

Yves Bissouma - £35m. Providing he clears his name legally he would be a class signing and 35-40m would probably get him. I'm loving the Marv revival and hopefully it lasts but Bissouma has been class for a while

Charles de Ketalere - £30m. Very classy player from Club Brugge who is going to get even better and become a star for Belgium. I think he would really suit playing as one of our 10s and provide competition to Buendia, Bailey, Chuck and could also play as the 9. £30m may not be enough for him but would be a great buy especially if we are linked with Kent from Rangers for £20m or so who is nowhere near as good. 

Poasible Outs in Jan:

El Ghazi - £15m

Davis - £6m 

Wesley - £5m 

Apart from right back (recall Guilbert maybe?) and goalie I think that would give us a pretty strong 1st 11 and backup 11

Bissouma is the perfect midfield signing.

Don't know much about Ketalere. If he plays off the left then sounds good.

Kieran Tierney is injury prone. I'd Steer clear of that one, even if he is a quality player. Definitely need a top class left back though.

I think the positions you are looking to fill and the quality your specifying is spot on. Exactly what's needed to take the club up a level.

I wouldn't necessarily sell Davis or Wesley. Wesley needs the season at Brugges to get fit, and then I'd at least assess him preseason. Davis I'd send on loan in January. I still think he has a role to play. Whether he score goals or not the lad is a handful. If you were to play him in the middle of and combination of 2  Bailey, Watkins, or Ings he wouldn't need to score, and the other 2 carry a big goal threat, on the counter that would terrorise defenses. Imagine Davis centre, Watkins left, and Bailey right. The pace and power would merc defenses.

I'd bring Kessler back in the summer to be back up rb. The lad has everything to be the ideal modern fullback. I'd sell Guilbert. But I think his contract is up.

I'd sell El-Ghazi, Traore, and Trezguet if we brought in a left winger. Otherwise I'd keep one of them. With Aaron Ramsey, Philogene-Bidace, and Carney that's two no 10's and a wideman to be back up to Ings, Bailey, and Buendia, plus another left winger. Loads of options.

I'd also look to sell a central midfielder at the end of the season. If you asked me 4 games ago I'd say Nakamba hands down. But now I haven't got a clue! With the 5 we have plus another that's 6 midfielders which is good. But with Irebogum (I have no idea how to spell the lads name), and Carney (I see Carney as both an 8 and a 10) coming through we only need 5 there.

Hause's contract is up so that needs addressing one way or another. If Gerrard wants a viable alternative to Mings then we'd have to let him go, and bring in proper competition for Mings. Either way we will need a right centre back.

I regards to competition for Mings, we really need a world class defender to take our defense to the next level. So it would have to be a player with a high talent ceiling. With Bissouma or similar class in front and we'd be good enough the challenge for a champions league place. That's a big ask though to get two player of that quality in one window. I reckon Bissouma would be closer to 50m BTW.

Petrov best season was the McLeish season for me and sadly his last. 

I remember seeing him play for Bulgaria vs Ireland around 2009 and was easily best player on the pitch yet never did that for Villa 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Petrov best season was the McLeish season for me and sadly his last. 

I remember seeing him play for Bulgaria vs Ireland around 2009 and was easily best player on the pitch yet never did that for Villa 

Was that the 8-0 Chelsea season?

10 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I would be disappointed if we bought any players from Rangers. I worry about quality and I also worry it feels a little lazy.

If you sign one player from a former club, I don't see that as a bad thing, or lazy.

There is virtually noone that will know the Rangers squad better than SG and his coaches. If they pick one player out of the whole squad that they want, you can be pretty sure he's a combination of the best option at that club, and something they feel we need having seen what we have at this club in comparison.

I think LB is the most important atm. Combined with an AMC to give us more of a goal threat.

Targett needs competition. Period. 

RB: I think we can stay put until the summer. We got Kesler-Hayden ripping it up in League Two, and from the highlights I have seen I believe he should be eased into PL next season (and he is ready for it) else he might be gone.

With limited amount of money, going for players in CB and CM isnt the right priority for me. We need goals. Of the players who can play "AMC" behind Watkins (who should be on top), we got Ings (only one that you feel can score), El Ghazi, Trez, Ramsey, Chuk, JPB, Bailey, Buendia. Besides Ings only goalthreat I feel there is from JPB and Bailey (where Bailey seems to struggle with injury, and probably wont feature until february earliest, and JPB being more of a creative player)

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're 7th for goals scored this season. =5th since Gerrard took over. Don't think it's as big a problem as you make out

9 of the 21 goals are from set pieces and penalties. I believe its an issue. 

7 minutes ago, MentalM said:

9 of the 21 goals are from set pieces and penalties. I believe its an issue. 

They all count. What you're asking for isn't more goals it's more creativity from open play. That's different and something that's pretty complex to fix, particularly in the middle of a season.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

They all count. What you're asking for isn't more goals it's more creativity from open play. That's different and something that's pretty complex to fix, particularly in the middle of a season.

They count yes, I believe we have the creativity but no proper finishers.

9 minutes ago, MentalM said:

They count yes, I believe we have the creativity but no proper finishers.

Ings and Watkins aren't proper finishers? Come on, now.

Watkins isn't the greatest finisher in the world but at least half the teams in this league would definitely take him. Ings has proven to be a predator, we haven't seen it yet for a couple of reasons but there's no reason to think overnight he's forgot where goal is.