January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Goalkeeper I feel like we'll have to wait till the summer. Emi will be undisputed Number 1 so I can't see us signing a young up and coming Keeper to push him. I think a veteran in the summer whose out of contract is more likely and have Steer on the bench until then.

Handanovic, Forster, Lloris (lol), Akinfeev, Ospina, Sirigu, Begovic, Fabianski, Adrian, Karius, Romero and Reina are all out of contract in the summer. I think we'd be silly to buy one for the future in January when they won't ever be a Number 1 and we can potentially pick up a decent option from the above on the bench for free in the summer. (Although surely there'll be reasons half of those wouldn't come most of those options would be better than Steer next year)

Sam Johnstone is also out of contract. I'd like him back but I feel like he'd be very silly to settle for anybodies Number 2 and should be going first choice somewhere. Could also see him going to Liverpool or Spurs though who will both lose Keepers who have started numerous games for them even if they're likely to have their Number 1s already.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Alex McCarthy has been in pretty shite form at Southampton and seems to have completely lost the manager's confidence. I know that's not exactly selling him, but I think he'd be a decent enough cheap back up for a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Alex McCarthy has been in pretty shite form at Southampton and seems to have completely lost the manager's confidence. I know that's not exactly selling him, but I think he'd be a decent enough cheap back up for a couple of years.

Also out of contract in the summer, forgot to add him to my list above

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Also out of contract in the summer, forgot to add him to my list above

After Hassenhuttl's comments on the weekend I'd be amazed to see him play for them again. I'd expect them to target Johnstone in January unless they get a decent emergency loan now and extend it.

Edit - apparently trying to sign Willy Caballero.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

2 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I have no idea , what he would cost

Over £100m, he's better than sancho and that was what they touted for him originally, they're also going to lose Haaland so won't sell both, he's good enough for any club in the world imo 

He's also in "trouble" with the DFB but expect it to be a slap on the wrist and a couple of games ban which will only fan the flames of them being pro bayern, dortmund have doubled down on him and effectively said well he's not lying is he, the newspapers are split, not as sensationalist as ours are, die welt has supported him and more of less said the truth hurts for the DFB

Edited by villa4europe

i think Jan & the summer, it will be just as important who we can trim from the squad as to who we buy, for better or worse, our squad is pretty stacked right now, we could really do with trimming it quite a bit i think, especially if we intend to bring a few players in over Jan and the summer.

21 hours ago, av1 said:

Do you not think we need some cover at RB or do you believe Kessler (sp?) will play a part next season?

We don’t need cover at right back, the club gave Kessler a new 5 year contract recently, they obviously believe in him as I do

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For Jacob Ramsey? Have you seen Jude Bellingham play? He’s just amazing

regardless, i highly doubt we would spunk 100m+ on any single player with where we are right now.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For Jude Bellingham? I highly doubt he would come here, no matter how much we offer for him

i mean any player, we arent in a position to spunk 100m+ on a single player, is my point.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

We don’t need cover at right back, the club gave Kessler a new 5 year contract recently, they obviously believe in him as I do

I agree that the 5yr deal means the club absolutely have huge faith in the kid, whether or not that means they have faith enough to believe in him next season is a completely different subject