January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I don't think we will make many if any signings in January unless we get serious injuries between then and now or our form takes a turn for the worse and relegation becomes a serious concern. 

But if we are to make any new signings probably going to have to get used to the fact that we might also have to let a few go, and the players we let go will be players that fans like, which is what happens when you become a better team, or strive to become one, you get to the point where it's not just players that have been failures that get sold but players that have done okay or better get sold too.

The likes of Hause, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Davis, all fans favorites but some of the players that could leave in the up and coming transfer windows to make way either for new signings, those are just examples, they could do brilliantly well and become unsellable, but either way it's likely that soon we will have to sell players that are liked because we can't just stockpiling players as much as we'd might like to keep them all whilst adding more and using the academy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

I don't think we will make many if any signings in January unless we get serious injuries between then and now or our form takes a turn for the worse and relegation becomes a serious concern. 

But if we are to make any new signings probably going to have to get used to the fact that we might also have to let a few go, and the players we let go will be players that fans like, which is what happens when you become a better team, or strive to become one, you get to the point where it's not just players that have been failures that get sold but players that have done okay or better get sold too.

The likes of Hause, Nakamba, El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Davis, all fans favorites but some of the players that could leave in the up and coming transfer windows to make way either for new signings, those are just examples, they could do brilliantly well and become unsellable, but either way it's likely that soon we will have to sell players that are liked because we can't just stockpiling players as much as we'd might like to keep them all whilst adding more and using the academy.

Agreed.

I like AEG and Trez but we need to make Bailey/Buendia work and JPB has potential. AEG/Trez's time is up really.

Nakamba will stay; but I wouldn't be amazed if he left in the summer. Hause too.. had we bought Axel but think we'll send him back to United and buy one CB. Then move Hause on next January and buy another or bring through a prospect.

The difficulty is who can we sell of value this Jan. AEG yes. Trez's injury makes him difficult. We won't be selling Nakamba and I think it'd be silly to sell Hause now.

I think there becomes a risk that we sell Dougie. Hopefully not and we can find permanent moves for Kalinic, Wesley and Guilbert. Sell AEG and Trez and use the funds to get a quality addition in.

A perfect illustration of that point is us letting Smith go, it was with an heavy heart and maybe a few tears too, but as I say the better a team gets the better the players and managers that they let go are, if you look at the players the top six or so clubs sell, more often than not they're not bad players, it's just that those team are striving to become better and better and have to keep improving their team.

The one position where perhaps we might buy regardless of whether we sell someone else or not is left-back, as could be argued we're short in that area, you could perhaps say similar for central midfield, our only established first teamers are Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, McGInn, and Ramsey, and bearing in mind that Ramsey is still young and might need taking out of the team on occasions and Sanson hasn't exactly worked out up until now, there might be case for adding another midfielder.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, useless said:

Do you think these players are fans favourite?  I'd say Nakamba aside not too many fans would be too upset about the others leaving us.

I've seen people get sentimental and very defensive over all of them, and get upset at the suggestion that they might be sold. And I'm not saying it's wrong to feel that way, as they've all done a good job in one way or another, but as counter-intuitive as it might seem good teams sell good players, they sell good players more often than not so good teams sell good players, or to put it another way they sell good players and replace them with better players.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I've seen people get sentimental and very defensive over all of them, and get upset at the suggestion that they might be sold. And I'm not saying it's wrong to feel that way, as they've all done a good job in one way or another, but as counter-intuitive as it might seem good teams sell good players, they sell good players more often than not so good teams sell good players, or to put it another way they sell good players and replace them with better players.

I think every one of them you mentioned (Hause, Nakamba, El Ghazi ,Trez, & Davis) has improved during their time at the Villa, but I don't anticipate many making a fuss out of any of them leaving, especially if we generate some profit on them.  The only players I would classify as "fan favorites" would be McGinn, Mings, and maybe Watkins, and I don't see anyone "better" than us coming in for any of them at this time.  

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The only players I would classify as "fan favorites" would be McGinn, Mings, and maybe Watkins, and I don't see anyone "better" than us coming in for any of them at this time.  

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Ramsey and maybe Dougie too.

Targett not a fan favourite but if he was suddenly sold there would be a bit of backlash or atleast questioning lol.

This is the most popular group of players we've had at the club in years

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Martinez, Cash, Konsa, Ramsey and maybe Dougie too.

Targett not a fan favourite but if he was suddenly sold there would be a bit of backlash or atleast questioning lol.

This is the most popular group of players we've had at the club in years

lol...  You've just named 8 players of the first 11 as fan favorites...  You sound like my mum when she tells my brothers and I that we're all her favorites.  

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

lol...  You've just named 8 players of the first 11 as fan favorites...  You sound like my mum when she tells my brothers and I that we're all her favorites.  

Rather than 'lol' and a shit analogy. Which ones do you think aren't?

I named 4 and a 'maybe' and someone else named 3.

Not to mention the entire point is saying we're going to have to get used to letting go of good and/or popular players. But yeah, go off 😳

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Just work out which one she’s sleeping with 👊

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, lexicon said:

Feeney's a better prospect than either of them IMO.

He’s brilliant, really great player, we did well to poach him from Fleetwood. I would be surprised if there weren’t other clubs in for him. I thought I saw him the other day in the town centre but wasn’t sure it was him, so I didn’t approach him

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He’s brilliant, really great player, we did well to poach him from Fleetwood. I would be surprised if there weren’t other clubs in for him. I thought I saw him the other day in the town centre but wasn’t sure it was him, so I didn’t approach him

Probably for the best given that he still looks like and in fact is a child!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

I think we have to move some players out before we can add to the first team squad.

3 hours ago, useless said:

A perfect illustration of that point is us letting Smith go, it was with an heavy heart and maybe a few tears too, but as I say the better a team gets the better the players and managers that they let go are, if you look at the players the top six or so clubs sell, more often than not they're not bad players, it's just that those team are striving to become better and better and have to keep improving their team.

The one position where perhaps we might buy regardless of whether we sell someone else or not is left-back, as could be argued we're short in that area, you could perhaps say similar for central midfield, our only established first teamers are Nakamba, Luiz, Sanson, McGInn, and Ramsey, and bearing in mind that Ramsey is still young and might need taking out of the team on occasions and Sanson hasn't exactly worked out up until now, there might be case for adding another midfielder.

I still think a player in the Rice, Soucek mould would make a difference.

I look at West Ham and outside of them 2, I don't see our team any worse indidvidually, but they are collectively performing better than us, or had been.

I see Nakamba as the only DM and the rest as general midfielders, so Another one, would be ok for me, for the squad.....Another Left back too, with more athleticism.

I also think a pathway for Carney and a few Academy players, needs to be considered.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I still think a player in the Rice, Soucek mould would make a difference.

I look at West Ham and outside of them 2, I don't see our team any worse indidvidually, but they are collectively performing better than us, or had been.

I see Nakamba as the only DM and the rest as general midfielders, so Another one, would be ok for me, for the squad.....Another Left back too, with more athleticism.

I also think a pathway for Carney and a few Academy players, needs to be considered.

It'll be hard to have a pathway for academy players with too many in the squad, so I think we'd need to sell a few players before necessarily getting more senior ones in. It looks like Gerrard has the idea of playing Carney/Ramsey as an attacking player, inside forward I suppose, so it may be best to move El Ghazi and Trez on.

• Like 1