January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

We all know we aren't signing anyone now until summer. We're going with what we've got. 2 first team players in, Digne and Coutinho and then 2 back up players. 

We do seem to find it hard going to get a quality CDM...must be in demand.

Ah, well it is what it is.

41 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we don't get a 6 & an 8 who can play in a double pivot regista or mezzala I will hate NSWE for ever.

NSWE OUT 

Double PIVOT

One would do?

We’re at negative pivots!

Although I don't believe anything will happen, it does feel like we're clearing the decks a little bit. Some good income from Targett and Trezeguet loans, plus getting all the wages off the books for those 2 plus Steer, could pave the way for us to get one last deal over the line.

Wishful thinking, but I'm still going to hope.

the lord of the rings pippin GIF

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

As an example..Man City are tenacious, just after they lose it they go after it with gusto...., we tend to be passive and wait for an error( generally speaking of course).....you do that against the better sides and you lose ground and before we know it we are defending deep, we are then suseptible to being over crowded and ricochets.

I think a player who has the nous to win the ball back, play out to start sorties, protect the back line and orchestrate the tempo. In my eyes are  indespensible to abbitious teams.....We can flirt around with stop gaps, to passify those that don't believe in this type of player, but we will settle as a midtable team.

I think one of the missing things or paradox about a quality defensive midfielder, is they actually START attacks....They are the conductor, in an Orchestra.

That's a slightly different perspective from you think.

In terms of our midfield and its defending you've highlighted a couple of our strengths; we are tenacious, we get after people, we buzz around and close things down well and we have players in our midfield who can start attacks from deep Luiz, McGinn, Sanson and Ramsey are all capable of that. 

Where we lack is a little in terms of strength, someone who can run with a good sized striker, compete with someone the size of McTominay physically, someone who can make a difference in defending set pieces - in short a big un.

The chasing stuff, the harrying stuff, the football stuff, conducting the orchestra - that's what we're good at.

Oddly for both of us, from your post above it sounds like you want a player like Douglas Luiz and I want a six foot three destroyer - I'm sure that's not how we usually do this! 😆

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Aubameyang doing a Peter Odimwingie. Arsenal say they are surprised he has arrived in Barcelona when no deal has been agreed 😂

Did he drive from Africa or London? Respect either way. 

5 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Aubameyang doing a Peter Odimwingie. Arsenal say they are surprised he has arrived in Barcelona when no deal has been agreed 😂

Didn't Saido Berahino do something like this too?

1 minute ago, Beastmix said:

Didn't Saido Berahino do something like this too?

Yeah, it was Spurs wanted him and Baggies turned down a couple of bids and he said he would never play for them again and tried to force the deal thru. It ultimately failed and he went on strike and his career when down the drain since then

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That's a slightly different perspective from you think.

In terms of our midfield and its defending you've highlighted a couple of our strengths; we are tenacious, we get after people, we buzz around and close things down well and we have players in our midfield who can start attacks from deep Luiz, McGinn, Sanson and Ramsey are all capable of that. 

Where we lack is a little in terms of strength, someone who can run with a good sized striker, compete with someone the size of McTominay physically, someone who can make a difference in defending set pieces - in short a big un.

The chasing stuff, the harrying stuff, the football stuff, conducting the orchestra - that's what we're good at.

Oddly for both of us, from your post above it sounds like you want a player like Douglas Luiz and I want a six foot three destroyer - I'm sure that's not how we usually do this! 😆

This is why I wish we’d go after Sule. There’s your big un.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Well quite, but we expecting us to bridge that gap in the next 3 months would be ludicrous. We could do with one, the club know that but waiting to get the right person in the summer seems sensible enough to me? 

Yet interestingly the midfielders that we have been linked to in the summer and now in January are hardly what most people on here would call a DCM or a No 6.  They have almost all either been players who are good passers who seem to be more comfortable playing slightly deeper than Luiz would like or they have been better at driving the ball forward than McGinn.  Also our desperation to sign anyone has probably been mitigated by the emergence of JJ.  Six weeks ago I would have said that a midfield of JJ, McGinn and Luiz wouldn't be good enough to compete.  Yet recently that midfield (with Sanson rather than McGinn) completely dominated one of the Sly 6 for 60 minutes. 

19 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We don't want to pay what it takes for one basically

I can't see what u are basing that on. We have paid high fees for players and pay high wages. We do not know whether Gerrard feels the same way about a DCM as VT does. I am sure if he wanted Bissouma he could have bought him and sacrificed the purchase of Digne et al. It does appear Gerrard has full support of Purslow & NSWE and I can't see anything to suggest they would not support him for a DCM

• Like 2