January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

Buying a player as a stop gap, and lumbering ourselves with 3-4 years of wages is something the Aston Villa of old would have done.

If we can't get the right player in this window, I have no problems with waiting until the Summer.

Our midfield is at least mid-table level right now, with Sanson still an unknown quantity. It gives both him and Chukwuemeka a chance to establish themselves.

Saying all of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see Villa pull something out of the bag tomorrow. 

Indeed Europe is probably out of reach this season - we have enough to steer well clear of relegation. No point paying over the odds for 3rd or 4th choice players.

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Glenn kamara must surely bus under consideration … 

He's worse than all current CM's at the club, apart from possibly Chambers (if Chambers is even considered for midfield)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I see no reason to assume our business is done… the window hasn’t closed yet. And most of the activity is done on deadline day, no matter how much clubs try to avoid that scenario.

Who has been completely successful in calling any/all of the club’s moves so far? Media barely have a clue, it’s mostly just rumours and speculation.

If it is over, no big deal. We’ll look at it again in the summer. We still have players at the club that we need to get the best out of (and to get/keep fit!!).

But, there’s every chance we’ll complete at least one more signing (maybe even out of the blue as we have already seen with Ings & Chambers).

SG clearly wants to continue to strengthen the team and has been backed by Purslow & Lange. If the possibility and value is there, we’ll go for it.

Best to sit back, relax and be patient. We’re not going to waste funds for the sake of it but will take our opportunities when/if they arise.

Why do people think we are done?

Has someone of note reported something?

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Why do people think we are done?

Has someone of note reported something?

It looked like we were trying to sign Bentancur as our last transfer and it is reported that Spurs have agreed a deal for him. With only a little over a day of the TW left it is reasonable to think we are done. Gerrard has said if we can't get the players we want we will wait till the summer. Yes, we could still buy someone but it does look like we are done imo

Whenever I've seen Glen Kamara play he hasn't been bad at all, but also in the games I've watched he's never played as a DM, for either Rangers or Finland, he's always played as a box-to-box midfielder. If Konsa and Mings stay fit, and Cash too, then I think there's a chance that Chambers could end up playing more often than anywhere else in midfield, not starting games but coming on in games to help us protect a lead.

'I've watched he's never played as a DM, for either Rangers or Finland, he's always played as a box-to-box midfielder' ... Just looked up some of Rangers teamsheets and formations from last season :detect: and looks like Davis mostly played as the 'DM' with Kamara as one of the No.8s, so in Gerrard's system he basically played the role that McGinn and Ramsey play.

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I agree, we don’t have to spend so heavily. Wouldn’t it be nice for us to sign the “next Bissouma” or a player that could turn out to be even better? Rather than overspend on that kind of established player?

Again, I don’t really care who we bring in for that role/position as long as they have the required quality and attributes. We need a more defensive force in midfield who is also composed on the ball and passes it well.

Let’s see how good our scouting department really is…

I'd love it if it we could buy both a top midfielder ready to come in and improve us now and also one that can develop into a top player like JJ can and show that our scouting department can actually do its homework which currently I question if it can (actually think Mwepu at Brighton is another shrewd move, think he'll be as good as Bissouma in a year or 2).

If we want to be competing with the Tottenhams, West Hams and Arsenals of this world (and we're not far at all from that level), then we will need to spend big in certain areas and CM/DM is the area that needs the most improvement. If it doesn't happen before midnight tomorrow I really, really hope it happens this summer at long last.

8 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've been trying to look at our signings and departures from AVFC's perspective rather than just as a fan.

SG has commented that he believes Luiz can go up a couple of levels and has challenged him to do so. He is already a fairly valuable asset and can retain value even with his contract situation if he finishes the season strongly.

Sanson is looking really sharp in training and now looks to be the player we signed before his lengthy injury problems. His value may also be enhanced by regular game time putting him back in the shop window.

Both DL and MS need to play regularly between now and the end of this season to attract big money approaches this summer (if we intend to upgrade their positions).

The pair of them could be sold for a considerable amount if they showcase themselves in our last seventeen games.

Signing Chambers (who was player of the season for Fulham in the DM role for Fulham) gives SG the cover to to complete this season without too many problems.

We are acting sensibly and leaving ourselves in a strong position this Summer, by not being dictated to by other more desperate clubs.

I would have liked us to sign Bentancur or Bissouma, but I understand the reasons for not doing so if that is the case.

This all makes sense but it puts a heavy expectation onto the Summer window.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Liverpool getting Carvalho from Fulham. Must say, I’m jealous of that move. I think he’s going to be a cracking player. Liverpool are very good in the transfer market these days.

They can pick up these sorts of players very easily and they probably aren’t even going to be in the starting 11 for a while a yet. Plus, they identify what they need and fill it. Whereas we seem to be messing about with the position we need the most and have done for years. I’m confused as to why we have chosen to faff around with this position so much. 

Edited by Tayls

55 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I've been trying to look at our signings and departures from AVFC's perspective rather than just as a fan.

SG has commented that he believes Luiz can go up a couple of levels and has challenged him to do so. He is already a fairly valuable asset and can retain value even with his contract situation if he finishes the season strongly.

Sanson is looking really sharp in training and now looks to be the player we signed before his lengthy injury problems. His value may also be enhanced by regular game time putting him back in the shop window.

Both DL and MS need to play regularly between now and the end of this season to attract big money approaches this summer (if we intend to upgrade their positions).

The pair of them could be sold for a considerable amount if they showcase themselves in our last seventeen games.

Signing Chambers (who was player of the season for Fulham in the DM role for Fulham) gives SG the cover to to complete this season without too many problems.

We are acting sensibly and leaving ourselves in a strong position this Summer, by not being dictated to by other more desperate clubs.

I would have liked us to sign Bentancur or Bissouma, but I understand the reasons for not doing so if that is the case.

DL and MS playing well enough to attract big money would essentially be an upgrade so why sell them if they have improved themselves that much?

7 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

DL and MS playing well enough to attract big money would essentially be an upgrade so why sell them if they have improved themselves that much?

SG has made it clear that DL is not a number 6,  but is doing a job for us in that position even though the role doesn't suit him. MS is suited to a more attacking role as well.

If SG thinks we have too many attacking midfielders, it makes sense to sell one or two players to finance the expensive defensive midfield upgrade.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why isn’t this thread filled with Twitter post linking us to every dm under the sun. 

It does seem like we’re done for the window.  the only hope is an “outta no where”

Tbf, thats never been an accurate gauge of what's going on.

18 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The Athletic is saying that Toon want to sign Matt Targett before tomorrow's deadline. That could be a lovely bit of business for the right price and maybe we get Hickey in tomorrow for half the price we sell Targett

We paid 18m for Targett.

How much do you value seeing Newcastle get relegated at the end of the season.

I would turn down a bid of 40m to see it happen.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

Just now, AshVilla said:

We paid 18m for Targett.

How much do you value seeing Newcastle get relegated at the end of the season.

I would turn down a bid of 40m to see it happen.

We didn't pay 18m for him, it was about 14m, I would expect we could rinse Toon for about 20m/25m. If you would refuse 40m for Targett I am very happy u are not looking after our transfer negotiations. 40m is stupid money for him and would never happen