January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Didn't they boo him off before this run? 

No they were taking inspiration from the fans at the Australian Open and doing that bloody awful Ronaldo 'Siuuuuu' chant.

Honest guv they were! 😉

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

I would have rather had him than Ings.

On paper Ings was a much smarter signing that Tammy. Ings had the ability to run channels and hold the ball up, he was able to press players in a slightly different way to how Watkins did last season, but still could press effectively. He can also play wide rather than just being the Darren-Bent-Regen he can sometimes be made out to be.

Where as Tammy can hold the ball up and maybe he can drift wide, but he can't play wide and he basically is the Darren-Bent-Regen that some people think Ings is.

Ings had so much more to his game than Tammy did. Plus his injury record meant he'd be OK being understudy or being on the bench when needed, whilst his style meant he should've been fantastic to lump on both with, or instead of, Watkins.

It made so much more sense than Tammy did. It's such a shame that by being in the same team as each other both Ings and Watkins have lost their confidence and their form. They made more sense together than other options and it's been a disaster. One of the finest examples that players that 'make sense ' together don't necessarily play well together.

Stats and attributes can be deceiving.

Edited by HalfTimePost

There's an argument that maybe they never would've played well together for 90 minutes - and I'd agree there - but for 20-30mins when under pressures to find a winner, I really thought we'd found a winning combination. They've been complete trash though whenever they've been on a pitch together. Both of them. And it's ruined both of their individual form too

Think we have the players to challenge for European spots and be competitive against the top 3-4 sides. Now just need to get a tune out of them - like Tuchel did with Chelsea after Lampard and Conte with Spurs after Nuno. You can't just keep buying players the moment someone's form dips.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

On paper Ings was a much smarter signing that Tammy. Ings had the ability to run channels and hold the ball up, he was able to press players in a slightly different way to how Watkins did last season, but still could press effectively. He can also play wide rather than just being the Darren-Bent-Regen he can sometimes be made out to be.

Where as Tammy can hold the ball up and maybe he can drift wide, but he can't play wide and he basically is the Darren-Bent-Regen that some people think Ings is.

Ings had so much more to his game than Tammy did. Plus his injury record meant he'd be OK being understudy or being on the bench when needed, whilst his style meant he should've been fantastic to lump on both with, or instead of, Watkins.

It made so much more sense than Tammy did. It's such a shame that by being in the same team as each other both Ings and Watkins have lost their confidence and their form. They made more sense together than other options and it's been a disaster. One of the finest examples that players that 'make sense ' together don't necessarily play well together.

Stats and attributes can be deceiving.

I would never have picked a striker to play with Tammy, it’s an either or.

my number one was Eduoard at the time.

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

They did but he has hit form now

In fairness for all the Jose negative football bashing, Roma have been playing good football this season and just needed to click in attack and its working now. Zaniolo and Tammy are starting to click a bit as Zaniolo took time to get fitness back

His knee is going to go again soon, I can feel it.

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

So relieved and delighted that we’re not signing Rangers players!!! 🤣

Thankfully, we’ve set our sights a LOT higher! 

I thinks it’s called lazy journalism. Gerrard used to manage rangers so can’t possibly have any clue about players from other teams so will only look at rangers players. He worked with players at rangers that were appropriate to the level they were playing in. Now he is in the premier league and the level of quality is upped ten/twenty fold so he and his team have looked at players that suit that level of quality. 

it’s funny to see that the centre half Goldstone was one the press were saying we would sign is now being chased by two championship clubs! It’s like they think we are still at that level sometimes and not massively on the up with great owners with deep pockets.

fwiw I never thought goldstone would be looked at by us because he is rubbish 

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

His knee is going to go again soon, I can feel it.

I think its his physique, he is a bit gangly and probably needs to work on his leg muscles for his style of play 

If his knee goes again he might have to call it a day

3 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

As someone who's never seen him play even once, I think 20m euros Bentancur is a very good deal. I say sign him.

As someone who also never seen him, I disagree. so lets fight over it! I say dont sign him! 

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Why on earth is aaron ramsey 6/4 to join us…. We dont want him or need him

Because those who set odds want punters’ money. Anyone who takes this bet is being taken to the cleaners. ps was this on SKY if yes it tells you all you need to know.

9 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Think we have the players to challenge for European spots and be competitive against the top 3-4 sides. Now just need to get a tune out of them - like Tuchel did with Chelsea after Lampard and Conte with Spurs after Nuno. You can't just keep buying players the moment someone's form dips.

Lamps had Chelsea finish top 4 before TT arrived and Conte will find it very difficult to get to top 4 with Spurs this year but he is doing a very good job. Our highest finish in the PL for quite a while is 11th and that was last season. We need better players, we have add quite a few better players in the last 6 months but there is still a fair bit of room for improvement imo

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Lamps had Chelsea finish top 4 before TT arrived and Conte will find it very difficult to get to top 4 with Spurs this year but he is doing a very good job. Our highest finish in the PL for quite a while is 11th and that was last season. We need better players, we have add quite a few better players in the last 6 months but there is still a fair bit of room for improvement imo

Yeah I think we are miles from being truly competitive with the top 4.  Even seeing the Chelsea/Spurs game yesterday you can see the difference between Chelsea and Spurs, and I still think we are a fair bit behind Spurs so we have a couple of levels to climb.  

Yesterday wasn’t just about the game but player for player and the subs bench, the quality was that much more for Chelsea.  Some people will argue it is marginal but at the top end of elite sports, margins is the difference between winning and losing.

We are a good solid midtable team that on a fantastic year could push for European spots, on a poor year would be too close to relegation for anybody’s likening.  On the whole we are now where we should be in the league, the aim is to push on and fight to be a top eight team consistently, but there is a hell of a lot of competition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

So likely down to Bissouma or Bentancur

Keep seeing this Nicolo Schira popping up in this and other transfer threads. Pretty sure he's been called out as a massively unrealiable on multiple occassions in previous windows, hasn't he?

1 minute ago, tomsky_11 said:

Keep seeing this Nicolo Schira popping up in this and other transfer threads. Pretty sure he's been called out as a massively unrealiable on multiple occassions in previous windows, hasn't he?

Not sure, I’ve only ever seen him as a tap in merchant a bit like Romano.  Generally I’ve only seen him post just before it happens but I could be wrong.