January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

7 hours ago, RicRic said:

Part of the image above but based on it, i think we need to call this one off guys, Rodrigo Bentancur does not appear to be the player we need , what do you guys think

4460056D-C127-4A72-BBB2-F90B31DB7E0D.jpeg

If only we had people at the club who could properly read these statistics and apply some sort of context to them. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

If only we had people at the club who could properly read these statistics and apply some sort of context to them. 

Don't worry, VT is an open forum and I am sure Lange et al check here before making any decisions

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I hope the Tarkowski story is bullshit. A huge downgrade on Konsa 

Really? Even if you rate Konsa more highly, surely the downgrade isn't 'huge'? Tarkowski is a good player and I think he'd push the current two for a starting role. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Really? Even if you rate Konsa more highly, surely the downgrade isn't 'huge'? Tarkowski is a good player and I think he'd push the current two for a starting role. 

He is nearly 30 and hasnt got near a transfer to a top team and has just been linked with Newcastle 

For me its a lazy and expensive transfer and Burnley defenders look good in the Burnley defensive system. Look at Michael Keane he looks an absolute mess at Everton 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He would improve our squad and would definitely put pressure on both Mings and Konsa for a start. 

Edit: but he is not a player I would like to sign. I would prefer younger and better

Edited by Peter Griffin

We are comfortable with the idea of rotating the rest of starting line up depending on form, fitness and who the opposition is so I think Tarkowski would be a great signing and offer us a different dimension at the back. I've only ever been impressed with him when watching him and been surprised that Southgate hasn't given him a call up recently considering how bad the options are in defence.

I do appreciate most people prefer a settled back 4 and goalkeeper though so I understand when people are sceptical about players we're linked to in defence. I mean look at some people's reaction to Digne, if you were getting that calibre of player in midfield or up front when you're light in the position it would be an absolute coup, but as soon as it's a defender you question what part of their game is stronger and how they fit into the current system. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He plays on the right side of a back 4.

They aren't different positions for me. It's centre half. Same as centre mid.

This wasn't a problem until about three seasons ago when everyone decided a left footer CB was essential.

We get better if Tarkowski starts next to Konsa regardless.

Be very surprised if we sign him. It's Burnley relegating themselves. Plus he'll be put on a fortune.

15 minutes ago, picicata said:

Is Tarkowski a good defender or is he 'only' a good defender in the system and style Burnley play? Would he suit us? 

I think he is a good CB in their system. He is not as mobile as others but if Mings or Konsa were injured / suspended I would be reasonably happy to see him play. But agre and cost would put be off him too

Ideally we want 60+ games a season so we need a squad of 23 players who are competing for their spots. Two for every position and then a few of the u23s mixing it up in the group too. 

We then go with like 40/20 games split between each player for each position. When a player is doing well in training he should earn a place in the team. Even if we said one day to McGinn, I'm giving Sanson a chance in this game.

What this does is makes Sanson feel like his efforts are noticed, he'll be mega up for the game and wanting to perform. If he does well then McGinn comes back in the next game rested and extra motivated because he's seen how well Sanson did and needs to keep his game up. 

This type of competition is what takes us to the elite level. Everyone feeling involved, motivated and competitive to get minutes on the pitch. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I hope the Tarkowski story is bullshit. A huge downgrade on Konsa 

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Tarkowski is better than the current right footed backup CB. 

But I hope the intention isn't for him to replace to Konsa if this story has any legs on it at all, which seems unlikely to me. 

What story? I've checked aggregators and he's linked with Newcastle, heavily. Nothing about us unless it's some lazy football Insider rubbish

Edited by Kiwivillan