January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If it is Tarkowski (would be very happy as well personally) then Burnley will have sold two of their 3 best players this window. 

They might as well start selling championship tickets to their season ticket holders now. 

Agreed, but his contract expires at the end of the season and will be looking to cash in on him now if he won't sign a new deal.  The wage packet we'd offer him to be competing with Konsa for the job would be much higher than what he would make starting in the Championship for Burnley.  

Just now, KMitch said:

Agreed, but his contract expires at the end of the season and will be looking to cash in on him now if he won't sign a new deal.  The wage packet we'd offer him to be competing with Konsa for the job would be much higher than what he would make starting in the Championship for Burnley.  

Yeah I agree, we are surely offering him more than £80 in old money £20 notes, 15 packs of imported Marlborough Reds, a years subscription to Wickes' TradePro discount and a company Ford Cortina with 500 miles on a petrol card (can only be used at Esso). 

Per month, of course. 

• Haha 1

Tarkowski seems like the most obvious Newcastle signing to me. The kind of signing they need in the short-term and with his contract situation especially will probably be given mad money by them.

Salisu has been quietly excellent for Southampton this season, will definitely have a lot of interest sooner or later.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Us 'Can we buy him please, he is quite good'

Brighton 'No not really as we are above you in the league, unless you send us a ridiculously over the market price'

Us 'Er we will get back to you'

I suspect, this deal, will only get done, with an over inflated market price....as you say.

I do favour this player.....but other deals could prove to be more prudent.

Edited by TRO

46 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Just to clarify. My point about Olsen was not related to my comments about Jagielka and Keown.

Olsen is fine as a squad player, and I wasn't trying to allude to anything different.

My point was more that it would be great if we could get another CB that is first team ready, and is really going to push Mings and Konsa for a starting spot.

Olsen isn't really going to do that with Martinez, but it's not exactly a problem having him in the squad.

Backup GK is about the most difficult position to attract quality to. The odds are they are just going to be a bench warmer so I understand us getting a GK like Olsen. He will be just about the best quality we could possibly attract imo

People speculating on here about if we will sign a first choice cb or a 3rd 4th choice…..

it completely depends on how much cash we have to spend.

it’s obvious we need another really good centre back but is it affordable?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If it is Tarkowski (would be very happy as well personally) then Burnley will have sold two of their 3 best players this window. 

They might as well start selling championship tickets to their season ticket holders now. 

Except the plan is to sell all the players so they dont have enough players to play the rest of the season and Premier League can postpone the games 

Cunning plan

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, paul514 said:

People speculating on here about if we will sign a first choice cb or a 3rd 4th choice…..

it completely depends on how much cash we have to spend.

it’s obvious we need another really good centre back but is it affordable?

The forum is for speculating on all these things though tbf

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another thing fans seem to forget about while ranting/moaning about why we don't go for x player, and we are making a mistake by not " Just pay what they want " to x club for x player who would " transform us " is that:

The player has to actually WANT to come to us, as well.

True, but I think we have reached the status of 'stepping stone club' as in a club an extremely promising player moves to before their massive move to one of the top ten clubs in the world.

Big players have their future mapped out with their agents and this strategy is often their preferred route.

20 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

The forum is for speculating on all these things though tbf

I suppose, I just find it boring without some factual basis behind it.

For me if you know which of those scenarios is the likely one then there is loads to talk about.

• Like 1

When a club, don't want to sell....it does get tricky as Emile Smith-Rowe and James Ward -Prowse proved to be.

perhaps avoiding Double barrel names help....glad we are not in for Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall.😀

14 minutes ago, paul514 said:

True, but I think we have reached the status of 'stepping stone club' as in a club an extremely promising player moves to before their massive move to one of the top ten clubs in the world.

Big players have their future mapped out with their agents and this strategy is often their preferred route.

I think the opposite. Not letting Grealish go for less than the contracted £100m will put players with an eye on their next move off unless we give them release clauses.

1 minute ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I think the opposite. Not letting Grealish go for less than the contracted £100m will put players with an eye on their next move off unless we give them release clauses.

Release clauses are fine as long as they are massively inflated prices. If a top club is willing to pay it then it means it’s a success.

Look at what we’re allowed to spend because of the Grealish money. We should be a very decent team next season aiming for top 8. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Release clauses are fine as long as they are massively inflated prices. If a top club is willing to pay it then it means it’s a success.

Look at what we’re allowed to spend because of the Grealish money. We should be a very decent team next season aiming for top 8. 

I get that, but it's not relevant to convincing players to join.

If a player is worried about coming to us because they think we could refuse to sell and keep them the duration of their contract then a "massively inflated" release clause isn't going to change their mind! They'll want something they believe will be hit by a CL club if they play well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I get that, but it's not relevant to convincing players to join.

If a player is worried about coming to us because they think we could refuse to sell and keep them the duration of their contract then a "massively inflated" release clause isn't going to change their mind! They'll want something they believe will be hit by a CL club if they play well.

Ah yeh, see your point. 👍