January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

Keep seeing this Nicolo Schira popping up in this and other transfer threads. Pretty sure he's been called out as a massively unrealiable on multiple occassions in previous windows, hasn't he?

He just aggregates transfer stories. He doesn't know anything himself, just seems to pop up from time to time and post other peoples news as his own. He's as reliable as the bloke he pinched it off!

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He just aggregates transfer stories. He doesn't know anything himself, just seems to pop up from time to time and post other peoples news as his own. He's as reliable as the bloke he pinched it off!

I definitely get the impression he plays himself as more than just a aggregator and many seem to take him as such as well. Seems to get quoted as the source a lot when he isn't or he's probably just making stuff up. Also get the impression when he's running with more realistic stories already highlight by others, rather than just aggregating he often tries to add extra details as if he's got some kind of scoop.

• Like 1

We're being vaguely linked to Owen Humpries, nineteen year old attacking midfielder, he's currently on trial at Wednesday and has also had a trial at small heath. Wouldn't surprise me to see him or someone like him brought in, even if just as a stop gap, as the U23s are short of attacking midfielders at the moment. Gone quiet on Isaac Moore, although I think he would be more of an U18 player.

14 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

One of the very few people to call Ings before the surprise announcement

This guy does definitely know his stuff.

Most recently he mentioned Archer to Preston before anyone else, I believe.

Edited by PaulMcGrath_5

FB Insights is definitely reliable and just a good follow in general for some of his analysis on games. Seems to be a lot of folk worried that it'll be Nat Phillips but I don't know if it's based on anything or just putting two and two together given that he's available. Wouldn't be surprised if it's someone in that mould only signed to be back-up to Konsa even if it isn't him specifically.

• Like 1

Just now, Indigo said:

FB Insights is definitely reliable and just a good follow in general for some of his analysis on games. Seems to be a lot of folk worried that it'll be Nat Phillips but I don't know if it's based on anything or just putting two and two together given that he's available. Wouldn't be surprised if it's someone in that mould only signed to be back-up to Konsa even if it isn't him specifically.

Wonder if it'll be a 4th choice option in terms of quality or a CB to really come in and challenge the existing 2--i.e. equal to or better quality. 

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Wonder if it'll be a 4th choice option in terms of quality or a CB to really come in and challenge the existing 2--i.e. equal to or better quality. 

This is based on nothing but my own gut feeling, but I'd guess any signing that'd fall into the latter category would probably be something that'd coming along in the summer or later, and wouldn't be entirely surprised if with Tuanzebe having left they just went for a stop-gap loan signing such as Phillips for this window.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Sweden #1 goalkeeper not good enough to sit on the bench at Villa, that's some demands on new signings. Maybe Donnarumma was afraid of the challenge.

Just to clarify. My point about Olsen was not related to my comments about Jagielka and Keown.

Olsen is fine as a squad player, and I wasn't trying to allude to anything different.

My point was more that it would be great if we could get another CB that is first team ready, and is really going to push Mings and Konsa for a starting spot.

Olsen isn't really going to do that with Martinez, but it's not exactly a problem having him in the squad.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

This is based on nothing but my own gut feeling, but I'd guess any signing that'd fall into the latter category would probably be something that'd coming along in the summer or later, and wouldn't be entirely surprised if with Tuanzebe having left they just went for a stop-gap loan signing such as Phillips for this window.

This is what I think. I don't think Gerrard seemed particularly happy when Axel left even if he was playing badly. I think we wanted to keep him and allow us to change in the summer. I'm also not convinced a new contract for Hause was on the table either until we lost Axel and then West Ham came in for him (allegedly), I won't be surprised if we find out in the summer there's a release clause in Hauses contract and he moves on.

But anyway, as a result I think we had planned a number of targets - Digne/Hickey, Coutinho and whoever we get at DM, but now scrambling to backfill at CB which would've been in the books for big money this summer.

Maybe there is a Sanson-like deal where we take a top player sooner than we expected to but I think we'll have a stop-gap and spend in the summer

1 minute ago, jacketspuds said:

Just to clarify. My point about Olsen was not related to my comments about Jagielka and Keown.

Olsen is fine as a squad player, and I wasn't trying to allude to anything different.

My point was more that it would be great if we could get another CB that is first team ready, and is really going to push Mings and Konsa for a starting spot.

Olsen isn't really going to do that with Martinez, but it's not exactly a problem having him in the squad.

Agreed, would be great if we could get a defender in who is at least a 3rd and can push Mings & Konsa for a starting spot every week.

Hause will never be that player, he's OK as a 4th option on low wages.

Obviously I'd be delighted if we pulled someone who's and improvement on Mings & Konsa and had them fight for a spot. Not sure we are there yet or have the funds for it in January.

Wouldn't say no to Pau Torres :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Quoting myself--I think it is Tarkowski from Burnley.

Would love Tarkowski, myself.  Experienced Prem player and Engerland International who is much better than Tuanzebe and slightly better than Konsa (who himself hasn't been impressive this season).  More competition for places is a good thing.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

Would love Tarkowski, myself.  Experienced Prem player and Engerland International who is much better than Tuanzebe and slightly better than Konsa (who himself hasn't been impressive this season).  More competition for places is a good thing.  

If it is Tarkowski (would be very happy as well personally) then Burnley will have sold two of their 3 best players this window. 

They might as well start selling championship tickets to their season ticket holders now.