January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I just think this is short sighted. Yes they have to spend it well and they may very well spend it badly, but...

Man City were bought on August 4th 2008 then they won the FA Cup in 2011, the Premier League in 2012 and their first League and League Cup double in 2014.

Took them 3 years. This idea that it'll take Newcastle a decade or two is weird. They don't have the backroom team but the people they are after from Newcastle and Brighton show they're making strides there too. 

I really don't think any clubs with their own ambition of competing should be selling them anybody and helping speed up the process.

FFP rules have changed significantly since Man City got money. It is a completely different challenge to to that now

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

So no defensive midfielder then. Will be some anger now by some posters

No point anyone getting frustrated until the window closes. It will be interesting to see how today’s game goes though, and if that sways Gerrard’s decision on what we need should things not work out as we all hope.

You never know, we might end up with a CB and DM. Gerrard just doesn’t want to shout about us going after a DM.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Don’t see how that rules it out…

Best for us to be patient, I think we’ll be active throughout the rest of the window.

We don’t play for a while after today and can fully focus on incomings and outgoings in that period.

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The fact that SG did not mention a CDM does not prove we are not after one. No one knows either way - we just have to wait and see.

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

No point anyone getting frustrated until the window closes. It will be interesting to see how today’s game goes though, and if that sways Gerrard’s decision on what we need should things not work out as we all hope.

You never know, we might end up with a CB and DM. Gerrard just doesn’t want to shout about us going after a DM.

The fact he was saying we might have to get creative at centre back of we dont get our top target for me indicates its main position we are aiming for

Though how creative sounds worrying. Targett maybe is best option but think that would scare some people 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The fact he was saying we might have to get creative at centre back of we dont get our top target for me indicates its main position we are aiming for

Though how creative sounds worrying. Targett maybe is best option but think that would scare some people 😂

Perhaps Gerrard "just doesn't see it" :D 

• Like 1

For any wandering Newcastle scouts that use fan forums to assess players, you know who you are, Targett is better at CB than he is at LB, so is easily worth £75m. Please report this back to Eddie Howe immediately.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, paul514 said:

When he has proved himself in the championship, I’ll consider him competition.

Sure, but at some point we need to start giving these kids a chance, and signing an additional mature prem-ready on a multi-year deal will only hinder his development.

TAA, Reece James, James Justin and Tyreik Mitchell all had break our years at a similar age, fingers crossed KKH can do something similar.

• Like 1

I just think this is short sighted. Yes they have to spend it well and they may very well spend it badly, but...

Man City were bought on August 4th 2008 then they won the FA Cup in 2011, the Premier League in 2012 and their first League and League Cup double in 2014.

Took them 3 years. This idea that it'll take Newcastle a decade or two is weird. They don't have the backroom team but the people they are after from Newcastle and Brighton show they're making strides there too. 

I really don't think any clubs with their own ambition of competing should be selling them anybody and helping speed up the process.

Difference between then and now; FFP.

edit: someone already said this

Edited by KangarooVillan

Seems a little bit like he was answering questions directly about a CB and CF, considering that we may have an injury worry with Konsa, we have let Tuanzebe go, and we’ve been linked with a move for Suarez.

It’s very rare that a manager comes out and says exactly how many players and positions he is looking to sign.

He said we have a couple of things bubbling away. Could be players for one position, could be 2 positions we are looking to strengthen.

Edited by jacketspuds

6 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Sure, but at some point we need to start giving these kids a chance, and signing an additional mature prem-ready on a multi-year deal will only hinder his development.

TAA, Reece James, James Justin and Tyreik Mitchell all had break our years at a similar age, fingers crossed KKH can do something similar.

I agree, he needs to have some minutes soon. Then start couple later on. Especially games where we’re expected to attack. Can’t do much worse offensively than Cash. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KangarooVillan said:

Difference between then and now; FFP.

edit: someone already said this

Perhaps, but Newcastle's FFP situation is they can spend circa £300m and be OK.

I'm not suggesting they'll be Man City in 3 years but the idea it'll take them 20 years is wide of the mark imo.

Perhaps, but Newcastle's FFP situation is they can spend circa £300m and be OK.

I'm not suggesting they'll be Man City in 3 years but the idea it'll take them 20 years is wide of the mark imo.

Sure but I think the original point was considering if they get relegated. If that happens, that heavily impacts that figure, and for every season they fail to return to the league/yo-yo between the prem and championship will set them back. Perhaps the biggest problem is less so how much you can spend, more so who you’re able to attract. Even that £300 million figure can quickly be chewed up in oversized contracts for underperforming players (assuming they’re paying overs for average players to entice them to a Championship/relegation battle club).