January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

I think the problem is that we will have to buy players who will be better and have a degree of patience and development with them 

Or we're plucking no name gems from somewhere

Either way our scouting is going to have to be the absolute bollocks 

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

And the same for every player we ever buy from now on. We have the squad, we have the numbers. It is now about quality and current 1st team player should gradually become our bench players. With our blossoming youth setup and the correct transfer strategy that is what will get us into Europe

Spot on. SG has said we are not interested in just increasing numbers so new players must be better than we already have.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

I think the problem is that we will have to buy players who will be better and have a degree of patience and development with them 

Or we're plucking no name gems from somewhere

Either way our scouting is going to have to be the absolute bollocks 

Hopefully Gerrard already knows what and who he wants.

21 minutes ago, useless said:

We need to start signing top six players, players that have experience at playing at an higher level and in Europe and have a winning mentality, that's the only way to become a top six side and beyond 🚀. Not every signing we make has to be like that, but if they're all championship or mid level players, then more than likely, even if some of them go on to do very well, we're going to end up with a midtable team.

Often you see people laugh at the idea of us signing such and such a player because they're out of our league, but at some point we're going to have to start signing one or two of these names that we wouldn't be expected to be able to get.

Exactly, we are a rich club not city Newcastle level, but when City started buying the league ( I know things are different now with ffp) and bought top 6 players nobody batted an eyelid 

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Hopefully Gerrard already knows what and who he wants.

I think he said that he did know and that we will try and get it in Jan and if we can't we won't buy numbers and will wait till summer. yes, that is a major paraphrase by me :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think he said that he did know and that we will try and get it in Jan and if we can't we won't buy numbers and will wait till summer. yes, that is a major paraphrase by me :)

I think / hope he will push for the signings in this window. Otherwise it could be another challenging second half of the season, and the last thing he wants is people on his back for finishing poorly. It would also give him time to work with the players ready to kick on next season.

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm with @useless on that to an extent, I'd like to see us make a couple of sensible signings in January that address our shortages in numbers, a LB and a CB.

Then in the summer I'd like to see us sign a couple of players that make a statement on where we want to be and how we want to be thought of, a couple of £40-60m men.

I just can't see us going up much higher than 40m for a single player this year. 45m + add ons at a stretch maybe. The reason is amortisation and wages at that level means we would be signing a proven Premier League player of a team who will consider us a direct rival. Say a midifieder from Brighton or Southampton etc.. 

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No rumours ?

Noel “No” Rumours is precisely the sort of CDM we’re looking for. Under the radar, off the grid, no one sees him coming.

Having said that, his chances created xP, hot tamale, rating is rivalled by Norwegian CDM Feck Åll. Not to mention the up-and coming Slovakian prospect Nada Zilch.

All three are attractive propositions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Can't see why Citeh would sell McAtee if he's so highly rated

Also, we’re not short of very talented 19yr olds from our own academy who can’t get a game yet. This seems unlikely, imo. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Snodgrass and Elmo both going to Blues 😞

Meh. Nice and central, presumably close to friends and in Elmo’s case family.

I’m not from Birmingham so that probably has an impact but I couldn’t give two shite about Birmingham or who plays for them. If it’s a good move for a player I’d never hate them or begrudge them for that. They’re just such an irrelevant team. 

• Like 4

i don't think the thing of Elmohamady going to small heath is true, it's some sort of meme, yesterday Snodgrass was rumoured to be linked to them, and now people are making joke tweets suggesting various former players of ours are joining them, I think it's meant to make fun of the fact that they have a lot of our ex players.

Edited by useless