January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think we’d get more than what we paid for Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi? 

I agree a few of the players have but I’d rate our business as around 5/10 since being promoted. We’ve spent a lot of money and we’re likely to finish around 14th this season. That’s not great. 

Trez? No.

We could make a small profit on El Ghazi.

Traore's output was good last season. We can definitely make a profit if we sold him now.

We didn't exactly break the bank for these guys, Traore included. I've seen enough dross go for high fees to know we can make money if we sold some of these players.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2

McNeil isn't a bad player, but seemingly out of form this season, no one is going to pay £40m for him. More than that I seriously doubt we're even interested, we already have two left footed wide forwards in Bailey and Traore, and Buendia is pretty much two footed and can play on either side.

The only left footed 'winger' that I could possibly see us being interested in is Aribo from Rangers, as he can play both in a front three and in central midfield and when he plays in midfield he's not like some lightweight 'no.10' playing there, he's more like a traditional box to box midfielder with good attacking traits, in a way he's similar to Chukwuemeka, Gerrard used him at Rangers as both a midfielder and as part of the front three.

I don't watch a lot of Burnley, I'm sure he's decent but he's a player I only seem to hear about during transfer windows. I never seem to see a lot from him in highlights, MOTD, generally on Twitter or from other fans.

Then a transfer window opens and he's seemingly been linked away from Burnley 3-4 windows in a row (2 in a row to us now) . And seems to get a lot of acclaim and hype during them.

Then the window closes, never for me to hear about him again until the next window opens.

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Do you think we’d get more than what we paid for Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi? 

I agree a few of the players have but I’d rate our business as around 5/10 since being promoted. We’ve spent a lot of money and we’re likely to finish around 14th this season. That’s not great. 

Well getting more than we paid is not the important part. What is important is making a profit on the remaining amortisation. So if we sell either for more than 3mil in January we will book a profit and if we sell them for more than about 2 mil in summer we book a profit. I can see AEG being sold and Trez getting a loan and then sold in summer. We should be booking profits on both this year.

With Traore he's got 2 1/2 years left on his contract. He won't be going anywhere this window. In summer we'd need to get over approx 8mil to book a profit on him. I think we'd entertain offers at the right price but don't see a need to sell him as he posted 14 goal contributions last season all from open play and that was from something like 28 starts. He is talented.

With Davis we will also book profits as I'm sure he'll be sold. Guilbert too should be a booked profit if sold given his performances in France. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, John said:

We wouldn't get him for £20m. With the position that they are in, I would be surprised if they were prepared to sell him for under £40m. It's all speculation though. 

They won't get a buyer, if we are at all interested it will go same way as ESR in the summer, we probably offer 12 and work our way up to 20 max and then bow out.

If we sold Luiz for more than 3.75 mil in the summer we'd book a profit. I can see him going for a 15-20mil even if he only has a year left. So overall if we sold AEG, Trez, Davis, Guilbert and Luiz we should be booking a 25m+ profit. We also have new commercial deals to do and with Gerrard as our manager they will be much improved over the current ones boosting income. 

We then need incomings in the following positions LB, CB, CDM, CM, AMC by end of summer. Probably an outlay of 100-130m but as that will all be amortised over 4 / 5 years it'll be a -30m to the books, totally offset by our booked profits. 

I can see this overhaul happening

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

If we sold Luiz for more than 3.75 mil in the summer we'd book a profit. I can see him going for a 15-20mil even if he only has a year left. So overall if we sold AEG, Trez, Davis, Guilbert and Luiz we should be booking a 25m+ profit. We also have new commercial deals to do and with Gerrard as our manager they will be much improved over the current ones boosting income. 

We then need incomings in the following positions LB, CB, CDM, CM, AMC by end of summer. Probably an outlay of 100-130m but as that will all be amortised over 4 / 5 years it'll be a -30m to the books, totally offset by our booked profits. 

I think we would make an accounting profit on all of our players. We need to extend Luiz' contract, I can see him selling for 25m/30m

30 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Trez? No.

We could make a small profit on El Ghazi.

Traore's output was good last season. We can definitely make a profit if we sold him now.

We didn't exactly break the bank for these guys, Traore included. I've seen enough dross go for high fees to know we can make money if we sold some of these players.

We should make a decent chunk on El Ghazi. Bloke is massively under rated on here. He's inconsistent, but no more than many, and he is a guarantee of 5-10 goals in a Premier League season. 

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think we would make an accounting profit on all of our players. We need to extend Luiz' contract, I can see him selling for 25m/30m

Issue is extending his contract only makes sense if we are keeping him. Why would he extend his contract if we are going to sell him. He'd be better off with just 1 year left on his deal and seeing what offers come in summer or run down his final year. When you look at his remaining amortisation of 3.7m and the fee's we could get for him this summer now other clubs in Europe have put the covid his season behind them. I still think on the balance of it selling him for 15m+ in summer opens good headroom. which the club can better utilise. 

I can see Lingard joining us on Loan for sure. He wants to play football to get into the England squad for the World Cup. I can see him getting plenty of time in one of those 10 roles and adding a huge amount of experience to the squad too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can see the overhaul happening - for better or worse.

You seriously think we are going to get better commercial deals because Stevie G is our manager ?  I'm not sure how these things work - but I would have thought any nominal improvement in commercial viability would be down to us being an established PL clubs

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I can see the overhaul happening - for better or worse.

You seriously think we are going to get better commercial deals because Stevie G is our manager ?  I'm not sure how these things work - but I would have thought any nominal improvement in commercial viability would be down to us being an established PL clubs

I think having Gerrard helps, especially as he's only just become our manager so there is 2+ season at least with him in charge and it does give us a more exposure than if we had Deano. Obviously being an established PL club with ambitions for Europe will be the biggest factor.

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I can see Lingard joining us on Loan for sure. He wants to play football to get into the England squad for the World Cup. I can see him getting plenty of time in one of those 10 roles and adding a huge amount of experience to the squad too. 

World Cup squad is announced in November. I think be pointless signing as he will want huge wages in the summer which we wont pay

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well getting more than we paid is not the important part. What is important is making a profit on the remaining amortisation. So if we sell either for more than 3mil in January we will book a profit and if we sell them for more than about 2 mil in summer we book a profit. I can see AEG being sold and Trez getting a loan and then sold in summer. We should be booking profits on both this year.

With Traore he's got 2 1/2 years left on his contract. He won't be going anywhere this window. In summer we'd need to get over approx 8mil to book a profit on him. I think we'd entertain offers at the right price but don't see a need to sell him as he posted 14 goal contributions last season all from open play and that was from something like 28 starts. He is talented.

With Davis we will also book profits as I'm sure he'll be sold. Guilbert too should be a booked profit if sold given his performances in France. 

Nice analysis. I must admit, I really don’t get the amortisation/profit stuff! 

Either way, I want to move all 3 on. It’s about time we started signing genuine quality.

The next 3 transfers are important ones. We could get it right like Leicester and Brighton seem to, or go the way Everton/Bournemouth have.

I assume the Digne links would be us testing the water on a Loan? Or as Everton are financially desperate we might nab him for a good price. I imagine his wages would be a huge issue given he signed an extension in Feb last year.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I assume the Digne links would be us testing the water on a Loan? Or as Everton are financially desperate we might nab him for a good price. I imagine his wages would be a huge issue given he signed an extension in Feb last year.

Digne is a quality player but I can’t see us being in for him. 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

World Cup squad is announced in November. I think be pointless signing as he will want huge wages in the summer which we wont pay

Well a loan doesn't mean we need to sign him.