January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Digne is a quality player but I can’t see us being in for him. 

I think Gerrard see's Targett as a player to be replaced urgently. While also that CDM as we have no fit player who can play that role atm. 

• Like 2

On 01/01/2022 at 23:41, A'Villan said:

I'm not trying to shit stir here. However of the players still at Liverpool to of taken the pitch alongside Gerrard, they are Henderson, Firmino, Milner and Gomez.

We won't get their captain, but I wonder if enquiries won't be made for the other three. 

Firmino could well be on the move. With Haaland linked and Jota firmly staking his claim, there's only so much room alongside Mane and Salah.

Milner, while he's had 12 appearances this season, at age 35 probably isn't going to utilised beyond this season when they have Keita, Henderson, Thiago, Fabinho, and Ox as well.

Gomez I don't really have anything to say about it as I don't know him or his role beyond hearing things were going sour a while back.

Anyway, reason for my post is I know first hand from my basketball career that head coaches will always reach out to the best talent that they've got history with, especially when that head coach has been given license to bring in his personnel to try and restore the standing of a club or promote one of lesser standings to new heights. If there's not an infrastructure firmly in place to determine who comes in and why, I know head coach is reaching out to those who've got the job done alongside him before.

Whether they come for that ride too is a whole other story. Wages and club placement and chance of prosperity as well as the role on offer to the player all factor in among other elements. 

Milner I could see back here on a one year. Firmino less so, yet his market value is definitely no where near what it was, and at 30, top European clubs won't offer him either a starting role or the money he's had to date. It's possible. Gomez as I said, don't know.

Just a thought and luckily for you lot there probably won't be much more between now and Brentford. Certainly exhausted my ignorance on current affairs for the time being..

That would be amazing to have Young and Milner back in the squad! Now, what are Gareth Barry and John Carew doing these days???

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I wouldn't write off making a profit on Trezeguet - we paid £8.75m and he comes with a massive Egyptian fan base that brings a commercial bonus to whoever he plays for.

He has 7.4m instagram followers - more than ten times those of McGinn and Mings combined - there's an intrinsic value in that.

Surely this isn't true. What club would buy a player based on his social media numbers alone??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think having Gerrard helps, especially as he's only just become our manager so there is 2+ season at least with him in charge and it does give us a more exposure than if we had Deano. Obviously being an established PL club with ambitions for Europe will be the biggest factor.

How do we get more exposure ?  - I think exposure is linked to results and style of play.

Sure he made the headlines when he joined -  but beyond that it's results that get us noticed. Stevie G being our manager is a minor footnote now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Surely this isn't true. What club would buy a player based on his social media numbers alone??

My thoughts to.

Just come back from a massive injury as well. Be chuffed with £4m tbh.

We shouldn't be signing more players and plunging ourselves further into debt. If we have signed a mass pile of garbage players yet again, we need to try and make them better via good coaching.

The past 15 years solution of let's sell X (at a huge loss as he's now shit) and buy Y at huge costs because we need this and that surely can't carry on. 

We've spent masses of money on players and every transfer window there is a call to replace large numbers of the squad.

Yet we keep doing it, and tye next year those players are shit and need replacing. It has to stop.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

We shouldn't be signing more players and plunging ourselves further into debt. If we have signed a mass pile of garbage players yet again, we need to try and make them better via good coaching.

The past 15 years solution of let's sell X (at a huge loss as he's now shit) and buy Y at huge costs because we need this and that surely can't carry on. 

We've spent masses of money on players and every transfer window there is a call to replace large numbers of the squad.

Yet we keep doing it, and tye next year those players are shit and need replacing. It has to stop.

Yep - the fact that some of outgoing players are linked to Manu / Arse should make you think.

Not good enough for Aston villa - but good enough for Arse / Man U ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

That would be amazing to have Young and Milner back in the squad! Now, what are Gareth Barry and John Carew doing these days???

Thought that myself??

Milner😂 All he does is foul players at Liverpool, not sure why Klopp still has him in the squad, has no pace and lost the ability to tackle. Goals, you having a laugh!

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Thought that myself??

Milner😂 All he does is foul players at Liverpool, not sure why Klopp still has him in the squad, has no pace and lost the ability to tackle. Goals, you having a laugh!

Sounds a shoe in then 😜 !

57 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

They won't get a buyer, if we are at all interested it will go same way as ESR in the summer, we probably offer 12 and work our way up to 20 max and then bow out.

I think they might. Sounds a bit of a "come and get him" call to Newcastle to me, despite them being in relegation trouble alongside them.  

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I assume the Digne links would be us testing the water on a Loan? Or as Everton are financially desperate we might nab him for a good price. I imagine his wages would be a huge issue given he signed an extension in Feb last year.

They're BS, he's almost sure to go to Chelsea to cover Chilwells injury

31 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

to be fair, i think we are only 2-3 players off having a decent mid table / possibly top 10 side.

Going to the next level above that will be where major investment is needed, if we actually want to do it.

With those 2-3 players, we prob do need to offload a few though (maybe 3-5, as the squad is a bit bloated with dross).

• Like 2

Even looking at the last 2 games we have been punished by so many individual errors and, as always, it really costs us. Making mistakes when we’re 3-0 up would be fine, but we are losing points due to a lack of concentration and ability.

Hopefully this is something that Gerrard will be pushing to improve on ASAP.

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard see's Targett as a player to be replaced urgently. While also that CDM as we have no fit player who can play that role atm. 

I think both, if chosen right, will have a significant impact on our play.....and will help the other players.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I totally agree with this.....but it is even more important to sign the right characters.

You can only coach so much.....its is also paramount to sign the right types, who have an intrinsic desire to win.

I don't think we have.....we have concentrated too much on show ponies, with inconsistent tendencies to carry the flag.....We need some durable consistent types who loathe losing and can grind out results in the face of adversity....but they need the tools/ingredients to do that and we have to choose well in recruitment to ensure, they have.

We have spent too much time with players, who only offer a shrug of the shoulders after a defeat.....we have simply gone after the wrong types, to bring this club on.

I hope this changes now....we have a manager, who is at least such a person.