January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, useless said:

We're not as desperate for a DM as is being made out, it just seems to be one of those things that's been repeated that many times that people just now go along with it. We've got Luiz and Nakamba who are both fine, Chambers was Fulham's player of the season as a DM, Iroegbunam has been our best player at U23 level this season. Signing an improvement would have been nice if possible, but it's hardly a disaster that we haven't and can wait until the summer.

Depends what you class as desperate.

I don't think we will be a top side until we have a top class DCM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We're not as desperate for a DM as is being made out, it just seems to be one of those things that's been repeated that many times that people just now go along with it. We've got Luiz and Nakamba who are both fine, Chambers was Fulham's player of the season as a DM, Iroegbunam has been our best player at U23 level this season. Signing an improvement would have been nice if possible, but it's hardly a disaster that we haven't and can wait until the summer.

Agree. It’s just one of those things everybody has jumped on as being a game changer. When we get a new DM another so called fundamental issue will be found.

• Like 4

If a DM was as important as some on here have been making it out to be for 2 years now, don't you think we would have prioritized signing one at some point in the past 4 windows?

10/10 window for me.  Coutinho & Digne will drive us up the table over the next few months.  UTV!!!

• Like 2

Signing a top class DM now isn't going to make us a top four side this season, whether we sign one or not we're likely to finish around midtable. So it's something that can wait until the summer.

• Like 1

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Why did we bother recalling kesler if we going to loan him again?

Bit strange and harsh on Swindon where he was doing really well

Because he's moving from a team chasing promotion in League 2 to a team chasing the title in League 1?  

47 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Or the simple explanation is the answer ie go home we aren’t doing any more.

This forum believes some nobody on Twitter but not the clubs communications director.  

If the communication director is lying it’s the one job where it tarnishes anything he says in the future doesn’t it, which would be silly given his position.

To be fair he hasn't lied if we do sign someone.  He's not explicitly stated that we are not signing anyone.  He could easily say that the comment was tongue in check or a reference to the fact that the reporter was in the wrong place.  If there was 0% chance then surely he would have said that rather than make a use a colloquial phrase to infer that a reporter may be wasting his time.  Sounds more like a bit of banter rather than a deliberate attempt to say whether we are or are not trying to make any deals in the next few hours.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well quite, but we expecting us to bridge that gap in the next 3 months would be ludicrous. We could do with one, the club know that but waiting to get the right person in the summer seems sensible enough to me? 

1 hour ago, allani said:

I can see Newcastle spending £600m and still only ending up with a mid-table team.

I know this might sound a bit mad - but that's about right - spend about £600m on a squad and you can expect to be just inside the top half of the Premier League.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, allani said:

To be fair he hasn't lied if we do sign someone.  He's not explicitly stated that we are not signing anyone.  He could easily say that the comment was tongue in check or a reference to the fact that the reporter was in the wrong place.  If there was 0% chance then surely he would have said that rather than make a use a colloquial phrase to infer that a reporter may be wasting his time.  Sounds more like a bit of banter rather than a deliberate attempt to say whether we are or are not trying to make any deals in the next few hours.

Not sure I agree, he’s the clubs communications director.  That position means something different in this situation to most other roles.

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why did we bother recalling kesler if we going to loan him again?

Bit strange and harsh on Swindon where he was doing really well

Maybe Swindon have reached their limit on transfers and wanted an attacking player and we agreed to take Kesler back to give them Louie Barry

30 minutes ago, allani said:

With the best will in the world - trying to get the ball to a front three of AEG, Watkins and Trez is a lot harder than getting it to a front three of Coutinho, Buendia and Watkins simply because the latter make themselves available in better positions and are less likely to immediately lose the ball.  Also there is no point winning the ball back if your front 3 are not capable of holding onto the ball when you get it.

I think we have seen two issues recently that have summed up our challenge in the middle of the park.

The second half of the Everton match showed that we won the ball back plenty of times but then failed to keep hold of it, kept giving the ball back to the opposition and inviting them back onto us.

The first 30 minutes of the Man Utd game showed that when teams are dominating possession we can struggle to get the ball back off them. 

I think the signing of Coutinho and Digne will help address both of these issues because for the first half of the Everton game and second half of the Man Utd game we dominated possession and consequently also found it easier to win the ball back because the opposition were having to play longer balls that Luiz was better able to read and intercept (he was actually brilliant in the second half of that match rather than OK) and JJ / McGinn / Sansom were able to harrass their opposite numbers into making mistakes without necessarily having to tackle them.  I am coming around to the idea that we don't need an upgrade on Marv (i.e. a good tackler but who can then hold onto the ball or pass it more effectively) but that a version of McGinn or Luiz who is more comfortable playing slightly deeper than they are.  Dominating possession is our "strategy" rather than winning possession back.  The more you dominate possession the easier it is to win the ball back because your opponents are fooled into trying to play too quickly when they do get the ball (exactly what we did against Everton second half).  We do need that extra player but I think we have definitely more than half-solved the problem this window.

So in short I think we are somewhere between the optimistic 10/10 window view and your opinion that we haven't addressed the midfield issue at all.  I think our midfield 3 is stronger than it was before the start of the window - even though we haven't signed anyone in that position because Digne and Coutinho will make it easier for the midfield 3 to retain possession.  A new deeper midfielder (as opposed to necessarily a defensive midfielder) would make the window pretty much perfect but it has still been the best window I can remember for many a year.

I hear your theory, but not sure I agree wholly , only partly agree.

You cannot soley rely on just intercepting the ball to win the ball back.....against the lesser sides yes, but the better sides you need to go after the ball and show initiative....they cannot have time on the ball, else they hurt us...The CDM creates the mood of the team and encourages tenacity.

as an example..Man City are tenacious, just after they lose it they go after it with gusto...., we tend to be passive and wait for an error( generally speaking of course).....you do that against the better sides and you lose ground and before we know it we are defending deep, we are then suseptible to being over crowded and ricochets.

I think a player who has the nous to win the ball back, play out to start sorties, protect the back line and orchestrate the tempo. In my eyes are  indespensible to abbitious teams.....We can flirt around with stop gaps, to passify those that don't believe in this type of player, but we will settle as a midtable team.

I think one of the missing things or paradox about a quality defensive midfielder, is they actually START attacks....They are the conductor, in an Orchestra.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Well at least now Alvarez has signed for City we get to see the 'here's what you could have had'.

He's staying at River on loan. 

They've signed him so nobody else can. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, paul514 said:

In a nutshell....I think you are right.

• Like 2