January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Digne, Ings

Looks like we're falling exactly into the Everton trap. 

We should do like Arsenal did in the summer. 

Spend £50m on Ben White?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Digne is class.  He's an upgrade on Targett and Gerrard's system will require better fullbacks than the Mattys.  Not sure he fits the model we're going after, though, but then again, Ings didn't either.  He'll cost us a lot in wages and would be our highest paid player, but I don't think he'd be our best player in terms of the squad.  

Digne would have 3 1/2 years at the top level at least. If we put an option in of a 4th year. Given how FFP works with player amortisation and the 100m Jack profit these older proven players fit into that window.

We had enough room to have Buendia, plus pay Grealish 10m per year in salary. So with Jacks sale that's 100m + 30m wages over the 3 years of FFP opened up. About 45m of that 130m is on Ings wages + fee. We could spend another 40 or so on Digne. 

So my point is, the Jack sale is a one off 3 year profit which we need to utilise within the 3 year window or it's gone, we can't treat that windfall as recurring profit. Thus the 3 year proven player signings fits into this only because Grealish was sold.

Edited by CVByrne

Boubacar Kamara would be an ideal signing for us. A young, quality DM that can also cover CB (useful now that we’re down to 3 in that department). Won’t cost much due to contract running down, it’s whether we can lure him here (if we’re even interested).

Zakaria would be a major coup for us… that kind of ambition would be very encouraging.

There are plenty of candidates for that DM role but I just wonder how interested we are in such a player (despite the obvious need) because we haven’t made such a move in previous windows… maybe SG sees things differently though.

In general, we’re overstocked in midfield but lack proper DMs. At least one quality DM would really help us (same old story). But I think we would need to start moving players on if we sign more than one midfielder… it’s a bit of a conundrum going forwards. Do we keep faith with our existing players and youngsters or offload one or two and try to get genuine upgrades in there? 

For now, we need that top class DM who can help control possession, dictate play and break up opposition attacks. Give us some dominance in that area…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Boubacar Kamara would be an ideal signing for us. A young, quality DM that can also cover CB (useful now that we’re down to 3 in that department). Won’t cost much due to contract running down, it’s whether we can lure him here (if we’re even interested).

Zakaria would be a major coup for us… that kind of ambition would be very encouraging.

There are plenty of candidates for that DM role but I just wonder how interested we are in such a player (despite the obvious need) because we haven’t made such a move in previous windows… maybe SG sees things differently though.

In general, we’re overstocked in midfield but lack proper DMs. At least one quality DM would really help us (same old story). But I think we would need to start moving players on if we sign more than one midfielder… it’s a bit of a conundrum going forwards. Do we keep faith with our existing players and youngsters or offload one or two and try to get genuine upgrades in there? 

For now, we need that top class DM who can help control possession, dictate play and break up opposition attacks. Give us some dominance in that area…

I agree on Kamara, plus if we sign another CM it would be as replacement for Luiz in summer. 

We need to set on our front 6 attacking players too. Ings, Watkins, Buendia, Bailey are the 4 for next season for sure. Carney getting time if he extends his contract. Leaves 1 or 2 more needed, Traore + 1 more?

3 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Digne would be a risk. He's had a huge bust up with Rafa and because of that been frozen out. 

Didn't think we did troublesome players. 

Sometimes it’s the manager with an attitude. Look at Mourinho and every club he went to. 

14 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Digne is class.  He's an upgrade on Targett and Gerrard's system will require better fullbacks than the Mattys.  Not sure he fits the model we're going after, though, but then again, Ings didn't either.  He'll cost us a lot in wages and would be our highest paid player, but I don't think he'd be our best player in terms of the squad.  

Digne will cost us alot in goals as well.  He’s very good at going forward but very lax about coming back.

6 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I'd go for that, thought Lingard was superb for West Ham. 

I can't see him signing for us. He will look for a move abroad or to any of the clubs that were willing Euro League members and would now want him, if he chooses to actually leave OT. He thought that he was too big for West Ham and at the moment, I think he would view us in the same way. I don't think that I would want him in any case, there would be too much of a risk of him sitting on a big contract and not being too bothered about playing , imo. 

13 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Digne would be a risk. He's had a huge bust up with Rafa and because of that been frozen out. 

Didn't think we did troublesome players. 

I've seen a few interviews from Gerrard where he has spoken about Rafa's man management and how he treats players. I think he might understand if not emphasize. Falling out with Benitez, though not ideal, doesn't necessarily make u the baddest egg around.

1 hour ago, Creeper said:

Think this guy was the first to mention Ings to Villa. 

He's accurate about most things. Even Percy was crediting him for some stuff. 
I'm surprised at the Digne links as it kind of goes against our philosophy as others have said. He is however, a very good player. 

8 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's accurate about most things. Even Percy was crediting him for some stuff. 
I'm surprised at the Digne links as it kind of goes against our philosophy as others have said. He is however, a very good player. 

Maybe our philosophy has slightly changed under Gerrard’s direction.  Just a thought, maybe he feels we need some experience mixed with early twenties. Just speculating given the links.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Maybe our philosophy has slightly changed under Gerrard’s direction.  Just a thought, maybe he feels we need some experience mixed with early twenties. Just speculating given the links.

Yeh, could be mate, absolutely.
Digne would massively improve our offensive output, I just don't know how good he is at defending. Can anyone enlighten?

I can't see us competing with Newcastle financially. Right now, they're probably prepared to give players like Digne and Trippier 200k a week just to stay in the division.