Austin MacPhee

Strog

52 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Apologies for sidetracking but how much of a bellend does Gerrard sound here. Tw@t. On topic - sounds like we need to start practicing with the wall a bit closer rather than hoping the referees actually do their job.

Sounds frustrated to me. Actually warmed to him more reading that.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Cheers for sharing this, find the detailed stuff fascinating.

Yeah, I didn’t realise they used the same tech that you see on a golf range. That makes sense though when you think about it, as that kit feeds back lots of data about loft, spin, speed and angles. Like with golf I guess it becomes muscle memory if practiced repeatedly.

I am now wondering if this explains James Ward-Prowse golf swing celebration?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, weedman said:

Surely refs aren't routinely out by 2 or 3 yards on a wall?! These aren't Sunday league guys doing it for a bit of fun these are professionals at the top of their field, they can't just guess the distance, it can't be hard to accurately measure 10 yards then practice pacing it out before games 

Surely they could measure it out with a pedometer watch?   

55 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Apologies for sidetracking but how much of a bellend does Gerrard sound here. Tw@t. On topic - sounds like we need to start practicing with the wall a bit closer rather than hoping the referees actually do their job.

Haha, it does paint Gerrard in a bad light. You are probably right, best to practice against different wall distances as you can’t rely on referee measuring out correctly every time.

It’s funny though as there was a Man Utd fan moaning on a message board about how far the ref made the wall go back. I can’t recall if it was BBC or Birmingham Live article though. Funny though, they don’t like it when the rules are applied correctly against them. 🤣

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weedman said:

Surely refs aren't routinely out by 2 or 3 yards on a wall?! These aren't Sunday league guys doing it for a bit of fun these are professionals at the top of their field, they can't just guess the distance, it can't be hard to accurately measure 10 yards then practice pacing it out before games 

I think it happens all the time, it’s visible.

Theres little science to it, they do the same at the top level as what they do in Sunday league. You’d have thought with all the advances they’d have come up with a solution to ensure it’s actually 10 yards.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You’d have thought with all the advances they’d have come up with a solution to ensure it’s actually 10 yards.

"And the referee is calling for The Stick..." 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

If he isn't adding anything, Emery will have him out.

Emery seemed to give him loads of credit when we scored that freekick. They were standing side by side talking it through, it went in and big hugs and pats on back all round.

1.14 onwards

https://www.avfc.co.uk/video/0_l593hpnk

Edited by Dante_Lockhart
  • Like 2

I thought they added something on Luiz shooting from corners at the weekend, he did it in about the 80th minute (?) konsa made a run to the back post, almost off the pitch, looking to head it back in to the middle in case it was over hit which it was but he didn't get there

That makes it even more interesting, potentially overhitting an in swinger to be nodded back in rather than towards goal, don't see that very often either

Edited by villa4europe

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'm almost certain this has come from MacPhee FWIW.  It's a percentage game, essentially, and if you can get someone regularly pinging a ball with pace into that area then the chances of it going straight in, finding a flick on or just causing chaos has to be pretty high.

Actually I saw the Arsenal goal vs Chelsea was going straight in before Gabriel got a touch. So maybe other teams are copping on to to it

2 hours ago, AV82 said:

I disagree a bit re Gerrard. Yes he could articulate his point a bit more politely, but his job (and our Premier League status!) was on the line and our set piece coach was making fans scratch their heads, too.

Surely if that’s all you look at day in, day out, you can see that the walls are closer in the games than they are in training, and adjust for it? Bit surprised it took so long tbh!

• Like 1

If you look at the Digne free kick we moved the ball back from the point where Anthony Taylor drew the line. So we were definitely conscious of walls not going the full 10 yards.

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I disagree a bit re Gerrard. Yes he could articulate his point a bit more politely, but his job (and our Premier League status!) was on the line and our set piece coach was making fans scratch their heads, too.

Surely if that’s all you look at day in, day out, you can see that the walls are closer in the games than they are in training, and adjust for it? Bit surprised it took so long tbh!

If it wasn't for Gerrard freaking it may not have been solved. There's only a few variables and distance to wall is one of them.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tinker said:

If it wasn't for Gerrard freaking it may not have been solved. There's only a few variables and distance to wall is one of them.  

Exactly.

I'm laughing that it took a professional set piece coach with an analyst and loads of fancy kit a full 24 hours to go away and figure out that the solution was a greater distance to the wall... when the problem was hitting said wall repeatedly.

Like, seriously? These guys are earning huge money FFS, and this revelation he had is worded as some sort of professional win in that piece shared above.

Mental.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Because the vast majority of us have **** all idea what's happening behind the scenes yet NEED to point fingers of blame.

I'm not saying that's irrational or anything, but it's very hard to "see" what a set piece coach does.  The insight from Cutler demonstrates that really, really well.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Exactly.

I'm laughing that it took a professional set piece coach with an analyst and loads of fancy kit a full 24 hours to go away and figure out that the solution was a greater distance to the wall... when the problem was hitting said wall repeatedly.

Like, seriously? These guys are earning huge money FFS, and this revelation he had is worded as some sort of professional win in that piece shared above.

Mental.

Football has a lot of wallies in it. At all levels.

You can get relative success but simply not being stupid. So so many clubs can't do it.

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Exactly.

Mental.

Well he may have introduced the tech to the club but that maybe just something he has seen somewhere else and copied. 

Our corners, throw ins and free kicks have been poor for season after season.

I'm guessing most of McPhees work is done away from the players looking at how our opponents go about setting walls up and their defensive positions. It's getting this over to our coaches and players that's the hard bit, he needs their ears and their valuable time. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Because the vast majority of us have **** all idea what's happening behind the scenes yet NEED to point fingers of blame.

I'm not saying that's irrational or anything, but it's very hard to "see" what a set piece coach does.  The insight from Cutler demonstrates that really, really well.

I think in fairness we watch every single set piece in match play, and while we’re not noticeably *awful* at them, we’re hardly the stand out team in the league.

By the sounds of that interview, Gerrard was (correctly) delegating that to his set piece coach, so something wasn’t quite working.

Anyway as @Tomaszksays, there’s value in just getting the simply / obvious / basic stuff right, so the good thing is they’ve spotted the problem eventually. Just a bit surprised it was a big revelation for a guy who supposedly spends all his time analysing this stuff.

I don’t think we need to know the ins and outs of what he says to the players to have an opinion on it.

One thing I did wonder is if the whole argument between Luiz and Buendia before the Digne free kick was a deliberate distraction (like Ashley Young taking the ball for Ings’s penalty). If so, very clever, and fair play to him.

Edited by KentVillan

Â