Austin MacPhee

Strog

19 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I haven’t checked this seasons. But last time I looked our numbers from set pieces were worse off since he arrived. First season he was here we had lots of fancy routines etc but I feel like that’s dried out 

Last season was his first season.

Scored against Newcastle at home from a throw in routine, scored direct from corners Everton home, Man U away, Palace away, Man City home, Leicester home (twice), Everton away.  That's 8 goals up to end of January; trying to think of any after that?

Once Gerrard got his feet under the table, was MacPhee not allowed to be as creative as he might have been?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Made In Aston said:

I can't believe this guy has kept his job, even though our set pieces have been woeful. I mean he has one job! 

Emery probably wants to 'try him out' and might be intrigued on what he offers. 

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

we literally scored the first vs brentford a week ago from a well worked corner. why the hate from everyone?

People obviously think we should be scoring from every set piece. 

Roberto Carlos is considered a free kick expert but only actually converted 4.2% of his attempts. It’s almost like people forget there is always an opposition as well. 

19 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

Personally I can’t see what he does that sets him apart from other coaches? We look pretty average from set pieces to me, and with reference to scoring from a corner - isn’t this more about a player, than a coach ?

No disrespect mate but that sounds very much like ‘if we don’t score the set piece coach is shit, if we do score it’s only because of the players’ 

Bu that logic can we use the same reasoning for everyone at a football club, even the manager? 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I find it hilarious that fans can decide that a set piece coach is " shit " based on players probably not being able to execute things properly.

It's like saying an attacking coach is shit because Ollie can't finish. 😂

The fact that he keeps surviving regimes suggests he might have something about him.

40 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I can't believe this guy has kept his job, even though our set pieces have been woeful. I mean he has one job! 

Around and around we go

Despite all we've been through in the 12 years I've been on the site, the only hot topic after a 4-0 battering by Newcastle on a Monday night is the credentials of a set piece coach?! And the discussion about him now as the same as it's been on every single page.

essentially people have no idea what he does. It's all just wild speculation and assumptions on his ability based on which bits of the assumptions you choose to cherry-pick.

the only thing that matters to me is that he's here and that someone high up enough to make these calls wants him here. And separate to that, nobody high up enough in the decision making has enough sway and / or enough against this guy to get the club to relieve him of his duties. I think that says enough in itself. 

also my wild speculation - if Emery didn't want him he would be gone. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, av1 said:

People obviously think we should be scoring from every set piece. 

Roberto Carlos is considered a free kick expert but only actually converted 4.2% of his attempts. It’s almost like people forget there is always an opposition as well. 

Same mythology surrounds Ronaldo and free kicks. 

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

tbf, the goal against Brentford was excellent. Also having Luiz shoot from corners is pretty genius. 

Players have under performed badly since he's been at the club too. So you can't blame him for some of their poor execution 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, av1 said:

No disrespect mate but that sounds very much like ‘if we don’t score the set piece coach is shit, if we do score it’s only because of the players’ 

Bu that logic can we use the same reasoning for everyone at a football club, even the manager? 

With respect I was focussing on corners - and the fact that a player does not need any coaching to score directly from a corner kick - As for the rest of our set pieces, i for one find us just very average tbh 

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

With respect I was focussing on corners - and the fact that a player does not need any coaching to score directly from a corner kick - As for the rest of our set pieces, i for one find us just very average tbh 

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Essentially players don't need coaching for anything then. Shooting, passing, free kicks

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Essentially players don't need coaching for anything then. Shooting, passing, free kicks

With all due respect to you - that is also non sensical a good professional footballer will have the innate skill to score directly from a corner kick.

Yes clearly with practice they will get better and more accurate, but what on earth would a set piece coach role be in this? Would a player not be able to practice this skill on their own?

I'm convinced the people defending him don't actually watch us play. There's no way you could sit through our corners and free-kick routines and still think this guy is worth hanging on to.

The shit I've seen is not worth the time wasted on the training ground, these players could definitely spontaneously come up with better all by themselves without wasting a coaching salary on this lad.

Our most effective set piece routine has been Dougie scoring or trying to score from a corner. In terms of concept, not exactly rocket science is it; in terms of execution, a player either has the finesse or does not.

Â