Austin MacPhee

Strog

11 minutes ago, av1 said:

Or maybe he’s actually good at his job? 

People who watch him work every day seem to really rate him

People who see snippets of what he does every other week and maybe don't even understand / know what he does think he's shit

Definitely only kept his job because something funny must be going on...

• Like 3

He's probably kept his job for the simple fact that Emery doesn't have a 'set-piece coach' that's part of his usual team to bring in as a replacement, whereas for the other coaching roles he will have people to bring in, hence likes of Cutler and Danks leaving, but MacPhee staying for now.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Man must have something on Purslow. Seriously.

we literally scored the first vs brentford a week ago from a well worked corner. why the hate from everyone?

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

we literally scored the first vs brentford a week ago from a well worked corner. why the hate from everyone?

I haven’t checked this seasons. But last time I looked our numbers from set pieces were worse off since he arrived. First season he was here we had lots of fancy routines etc but I feel like that’s dried out 

• Thanks 1

For what it's worth I've seen quite a few folk that work in the game from coaches, scouts etc say  that a lot of the time set piece coaches only look after the offensive routines as managers have their own preferences on structure when defending them. This would make sense in MacPhee's case as the way we defended them under Gerrard was different to under Smith, and may well change again under Emery. Just saying as I've often seen him criticised for how shaky we look when defending from set pieces now.

People are a bit confused because we are about as threatening at set pieces as a squirrel shouting at an ant.

How many do we score from, corners 1 in 20?

Free kicks 1 in 100?

Also presume he looks after our ability to defend set pieces which is truly awful

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Controversial opinion: perhaps experienced managers like Emery value the contributions of coaches like Machpee and want to work with him. Shocking I know. 

I think the answer is as simple as useless put it.

Emery doesn't bring with him a set piece coach so he get's to stay.

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

People are a bit confused because we are about as threatening at set pieces as a squirrel shouting at an ant.

How many do we score from, corners 1 in 20?

Free kicks 1 in 100?

Also presume he looks after our ability to defend set pieces which is truly awful

What makes you think Gerrard  utilised MacPhee’s  input?  For all we know all he’s been doing for the past 12 months is handing bibs out.

34 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

People who watch him work every day seem to really rate him

People who see snippets of what he does every other week and maybe don't even understand / know what he does think he's shit

Definitely only kept his job because something funny must be going on...

I find it hilarious that fans can decide that a set piece coach is " shit " based on players probably not being able to execute things properly.

It's like saying an attacking coach is shit because Ollie can't finish. 😂

The fact that he keeps surviving regimes suggests he might have something about him.

• Like 2

He's just a set piece coach(and apparently an highly rated one)😂 why we even discussing him. He's a pad man/water boy equv. Once again Dean Smith give him too much power on the touchline.

Hope in this new era for Villa, Emery is the Chief and the rest are the Indians.

He's just a set piece coach(and apparently an highly rated one)😂 why we even discussing him. He's a pad man/water boy equivalent. Once again Dean Smith give him too much power on the touchline.

Hope in this new era for Villa, Emery is the Chief and the rest are the Indians.

Edited by messi11

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

He's just a set piece coach(and apparently an highly rated one)😂 why we even discussing him. He's a pad man/water boy equivalent. Once again Dean Smith give him too much power on the touchline.

So true you said it twice ;) 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

What makes you think Gerrard  utilised MacPhee’s  input?  For all we know all he’s been doing for the past 12 months is handing bibs out.

Exactly - it’s very clear that Beale and Gerrard alienated a lot of the coaching staff 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I find it hilarious that fans can decide that a set piece coach is " shit " based on players probably not being able to execute things properly.

It's like saying an attacking coach is shit because Ollie can't finish. 😂

The fact that he keeps surviving regimes suggests he might have something about him.

Yep, you can have the most mind blowingly creative brilliant set piece routine ever known to man that gets Tyrone Mings wide open with a free header and it's still dependant on 1) the set piece taker putting the ball on mings head 2) the defence buying in to the routine and being pulled about rather than holding their shape 3) mings winning and scoring the header

Any of those 3 fail and somehow its this guy who has failed... Its not that simple

Â