Austin MacPhee

Strog

3 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Surely they could measure it out with a pedometer watch?   

is that used for catching Paedophiles?

Back to Austin,

seems like UE has him in his thoughts and willing to work with him.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1

MacPhee is quite clearly a very good coach who is respected by the players & staff. Set pieces can equate to a 15 a season striker and you'd easily pay £30m+ for that and we're paying a lot less for him than that. He's held to an absolutely ridiculous standard if we happen to concede from a set piece or fail to score from one for a couple of games. It's really stupid. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, swollef said:

Taylor marks the spot here

image.jpeg.8aee6ae7c80554e927df031899e626be.jpeg

When the camera cuts back you can clearly see the marker and the ball has been moved back

image.jpeg.ba98d2d812f582c6dc036e43987b3775.jpeg

As you can also see here...

image.jpeg.57a62e94417218ee5a889f737c75d886.jpeg

My point is that I am guessing MacPhee had instructed them to move it back to compensate the constant lack of 10 yards in walls. I also noticed that our wall looked further back than 10 yards for Ronaldo's free kick as well, so he was moving walls back further for both sides, it's just that Ronaldo's attempt was piss poor.

• Like 2

Carrying on, look at the wall distance for Ronaldo's free kick. I counted 11 steps that Taylor walked the ten then an extra one where he turned and sprayed the line. So the point is he was doing it for both sides.

image.jpeg.7963e225fef84b76a9d8e2458d230059.jpeg

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Well he may have introduced the tech to the club but that maybe just something he has seen somewhere else and copied. 

Our corners, throw ins and free kicks have been poor for season after season.

I'm guessing most of McPhees work is done away from the players looking at how our opponents go about setting walls up and their defensive positions. It's getting this over to our coaches and players that's the hard bit, he needs their ears and their valuable time. 

I think he spends plenty of time with the players, what you're describing is what analysts are for, not coaches. 

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I think in fairness we watch every single set piece in match play, and while we’re not noticeably *awful* at them, we’re hardly the stand out team in the league.

By the sounds of that interview, Gerrard was (correctly) delegating that to his set piece coach, so something wasn’t quite working.

Anyway as @Tomaszksays, there’s value in just getting the simply / obvious / basic stuff right, so the good thing is they’ve spotted the problem eventually. Just a bit surprised it was a big revelation for a guy who supposedly spends all his time analysing this stuff.

I don’t think we need to know the ins and outs of what he says to the players to have an opinion on it.

One thing I did wonder is if the whole argument between Luiz and Buendia before the Digne free kick was a deliberate distraction (like Ashley Young taking the ball for Ings’s penalty). If so, very clever, and fair play to him.

Prepared to be proved wrong on this - but it feels like this season in particular we've scored a fair few goals from set pieces (and / or created decent chances).  We did seem to have a spell of hitting the first man (from a corner) or the wall (from free-kicks) but without calling out individual players this seemed to be more an issue with individuals (who did the same thing in open play).  Obviously the direct goals from Luiz stand out - but the short corner against Brentford was another one that looked like it was straight off the training ground.  There was enough going on with Digne's goal (moving the ball back slightly, the arguing over who might take it - whilst Digne stood quietly to one side, the wall in front of the wall, etc) to suggest that we've got some decent ideas and are trying to do something different.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, allani said:

Prepared to be proved wrong on this - but it feels like this season in particular we've scored a fair few goals from set pieces (and / or created decent chances).  We did seem to have a spell of hitting the first man (from a corner) or the wall (from free-kicks) but without calling out individual players this seemed to be more an issue with individuals (who did the same thing in open play).  Obviously the direct goals from Luiz stand out - but the short corner against Brentford was another one that looked like it was straight off the training ground.  There was enough going on with Digne's goal (moving the ball back slightly, the arguing over who might take it - whilst Digne stood quietly to one side, the wall in front of the wall, etc) to suggest that we've got some decent ideas and are trying to do something different.

Yes I’m not opposed to him. Definitely not a critic. Plus I get the impression the players like working with him.

Just feels like a work in progress. Hopefully with Unai getting us more attacking chances, the set piece goals will start to come.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I think he spends plenty of time with the players, what you're describing is what analysts are for, not coaches. 

If you watch the Cutler interview on YouTube he explains how he coached Martinez,  they look at the opposition and he gives a great insight into how it works , not just the goalkeepers.

https://youtu.be/ePaNACr-IEU

3 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Yes I’m not opposed to him. Definitely not a critic. Plus I get the impression the players like working with him.

Just feels like a work in progress. Hopefully with Unai getting us more attacking chances, the set piece goals will start to come.

He is fine and probably thinks outside the box. Issue is people see his title as its quite unique and expect us to score from every set piece

I think his haircut also makes him standout so people notice him to criticise. I still dont know what Danks looks like for example 😂

3 hours ago, tinker said:

If you watch the Cutler interview on YouTube he explains how he coached Martinez,  they look at the opposition and he gives a great insight into how it works , not just the goalkeepers.

https://youtu.be/ePaNACr-IEU

The suggestion was that Cutler, Danks and MacPhee were sidelined from Gerrard’s brain trust inner circle. It certainly looked like that if you ever studied the management area during games, I had noticed MacPhee almost looking longingly on at Gerrard and his gang celebrating together during celebrations, as they ignored him.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why, in the final seconds of an FA Cup tie when we are about to go out, we have 2 players standing over a free kick. Leon Bailey should have been in the box in any sane mind. 

8 hours ago, messi11 said:

Has he resigned or released a statement on the 2nd goal we conceded yet? 

Yeah, it was utterly diobolical.. Surely the very very most basic thing drummed in is to keep an eye out for a short corner. Out smarted by League 2 opposition. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â