Austin MacPhee

Strog

16 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Surprised he's not getting the full blame for conceding today 🤣

Hearing Doris, the tea lady, actually forgot the tea, so needs calling out. Total amateur hour.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still involved and think we worked some of our own set pieces well if we had just connected.

But his defensive work has been shoddy for quite some time (Stevenage!) and now we are a short squad without Mings. Who is winning the front post header with Mings out?

Watkins is traditionally the man on the front post but he's not even 6 foot. Aerial strength is not Pau's skillset. Defending set pieces will be a problem for a while I think.

Both the first and third Liverpool goals came from set pieces.

The third one was a mental lapse from Digne, so I'm not blaming MacPhee or Unai for that.

The first was a tactical fault...we had nobody at the top of the box to cover for a second phase ball. That's exactly where the second phase ball ended up. Credit to Szoboszlai for threading the needle with his shot, but he had absolutely zero pressure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

" As bad as some here " ?

Half these people have no clue what they are talking about, or how to even evaluate a set piece coach.

It's just another one of those bizarre scapegoat type threads which only ever gets bumped after a loss.

I've never seen it bumped when a set piece routine has come off brilliantly etc.

Come on guys, he is a set piece coach (or is he still?) and we conceded a couple of soft set piece goals, surly his role may be interesting to discuss, especially in the context of how we will cope on set pieces without Mings.

Having quickly scanned the last three pages there are several positive posts about him so I don't get it. Isn't it more interesting to actually discuss the subject than ridiculing other posters and hampering discussion by directly accusing others of "scapegoating"?

I don't think I've posted in this thread before but I'm quite interested in hearing others views on him, his role, his impact on when we score or concede on set pieces, whether the set piece goals - scored or conceded - can be tracked back to his work or if it is because of an individual performance or mistake etc etc etc. Personally I'm not at all interested in discussions that only focus on whether others are "scapegoating" or not, and I think it's beginning to become as tiresome as the overly critical posts that it's meant to curb.

2 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Is he still involved? If so he must be partly responsible for my stomach nearly falling out my arse every time we concede a set piece near our goal

I checked the official site but could find it, but I guess he is still set piece coach? Or does he have other responsibilities now under Emery, I'm not sure.

Would you say that the goals we conceded seemed to be a lack of organisation and instructions or were they more individual errors? Did't think of it myself during the game.

20 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Come on guys, he is a set piece coach (or is he still?) and we conceded a couple of soft set piece goals, surly his role may be interesting to discuss, especially in the context of how we will cope on set pieces without Mings.

Having quickly scanned the last three pages there are several positive posts about him so I don't get it. Isn't it more interesting to actually discuss the subject than ridiculing other posters and hampering discussion by directly accusing others of "scapegoating"?

I don't think I've posted in this thread before but I'm quite interested in hearing others views on him, his role, his impact on when we score or concede on set pieces, whether the set piece goals - scored or conceded - can be tracked back to his work or if it is because of an individual performance or mistake etc etc etc. Personally I'm not at all interested in discussions that only focus on whether others are "scapegoating" or not, and I think it's beginning to become as tiresome as the overly critical posts that it's meant to curb.

He can't PLAY for the players ffs, control personel, player mistakes, physical characteristics/attributes, or control opposition movement.

He never gets any credit when a complex set piece routine which could have lead to a goal for us suffers a bad touch, bad pass or scuffed shot by a player.

Nor does he get any when one actually comes off successfully. As we probably wouldn't even know it was a practiced routine from our armchairs.

He is obviously highly rated in the game for a reason.

Some of the expectations you lads have... Doesn't even work that precisely on FIFA.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

If he wasn't thorough or a good coach it would take Emery about a day to suss him out. He's clearly very good.

We've lost Mings who headed away ~80% of the balls we did clear. It'll be a tough transition.

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He can't PLAY for the players ffs, control personel, player mistakes, physical characteristics/attributes, or control opposition movement.

He never gets any credit when a complex set piece routine which could have lead to a goal for us suffers a bad touch, bad pass or scuffed shot by a player.

Nor does he get any when one actually comes off successfully. As we probably wouldn't even know it was a practiced routine from our armchairs.

He is obviously highly rated in the game for a reason.

Some of the expectations you lads have... Doesn't even work that precisely on FIFA.

But he does get credit on here.

"You lads" does not include me, I've never said a critical word about him and haevn't even posted in this thread before what I can remember, and I don't play FIFA.

I guess my point does not come across so I'll leave it there.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

First corner one of our players was either Cash/Digne completely misjudged the jump and the ball goes through to the Liverpool player who scores a dubious offside goal

How is that on MacPhee?

I agree, I think that when we concede goals it is probably most of the time a case of an individual mistake and not because of the coaching. If there is a lack of organisation and the players seem not to know what to do etc it could be, but I haven't noticed that in a long time. The many changes we have had to do in our back line must be a challange.

Â