Pre Match thread

VillaChris

I think we'll probably see McGinn and Nakamba as the two in midfield again, just depends on how Luiz is feeling. Front 4 I'd go Buendia right, Bailey left and Ings and Watkins middle, with Ings playing just a bit deeper than Watkins. 

Edited by ismail-villa

51 minutes ago, ismail-villa said:

I think we'll probably see McGinn and Nakamba as the two in midfield again, just depends on how Luiz is feeling. Front 4 I'd go Buendia right, Bailey left and Ings and Watkins middle, with Ings playing just a bit deeper than Ings

I’m calling Mings to Ings to Ings for the first goal.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

This is a must win game, I know it sounds ridiculous but it is , there's  no excuse not the win.

It feels like it, doesn’t it? 

It’s a long old season though so it’s not really a must win. But if we lose then this place will be unbearable for another week. We really need to get that feel good factor back, three points tomorrow will do that. 

Same as it ever was

Steve Bruce tackles fed-up Newcastle United fans by holding sparky radio phone-in

The Newcastle United boss insists the job is still a "dream" as he faced intense questioning from his harshest critics, including his relationship with Mike Ashley, progress, ambitions, transfer dealings and style of play at St James' Park

“Winning a trophy has become difficult, because of the power of the top six, maybe top eight.

"I got to a cup final with Hull, Wigan have done it, Leicester have. The fans here want it more than any other team.”

Bruce was told he was too downbeat BEFORE games, when often he is just being respectful to the opposition.

Bruce replied: “Point taken. I will try to address that. We are up against Europe's most outstanding teams. I don't want to under-value or belittle our club in any way.

“We have the nucleus of a very good squad and if they stay fit I know we are capable of taking on anyone.” 

Bruce was also told he was too downbeat ahead of games.

Bruce replied: “Point taken. I will try to address that. We are up against Europe's most outstanding teams. I don't want to under-value or belittle our club in any way.

“We have the nucleus of a very good squad and if they stay fit I know we are capable of taking on anyone.”

When asked when fans could expect the brand of football, and results, to improve, Bruce replied: “In two years you have four transfer windows. We have brought in (Joe) Willock. We have got (Miguel) Almiron, Joelinton, Callum Wilson. The team is improving.

“The brand of football is a debate? You have to be a bit pragmatic at times. Fans want to see goals and entertainment. It is getting the balance right.

“We have got to be better than avoiding relegation. Stay well, big players stay fit and I am hopeful we'll be better than last year.” 

On the social media abuse he has received Bruce told Total Sport on BBC Newcastle: “No one likes to be criticised. From day one I knew I'd not be everyone's cup of tea. I try to win them over and that is by results.

“If it is balanced and constructive, fine, you accept it. It is part of it.

"My son (Alex) has got embroiled in it. Then again some of the comments... he has a right to have a go back. Some of it is ridiculous.

“The vast majority, like when I walk the dog, people are great to me. A few on social media just want to be destructive.”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/steve-bruce-newcastle-fans-phone-24798203?_ga=2.209196306.1470148401.1629115423-220699658.1537900623

Martinez

Cash - Konsa - Mings - Targett

Luiz - McGinn

Buendia - Ramsey - Bailey

Ings

No Ollie again so I’d go with this tomorrow. Nothing mentioned about Bailey being injured so I’m assuming he’s fine and can come in on left and push Buendia wide. No need for Nakamba in a game like this so Ramsey from the start

Edited by Farlz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Martinez

Luiz - McGinn

Buendia - Ramsey - Bailey

Ings

No Ollie again so I’d go with this tomorrow. Nothing mentioned about Bailey being injured so I’m assuming he’s fine and can come in on left and push Buendia wide. No need for Nakamba in a game like this so Ramsey from the start

slight change for me

Martinez

Luiz - Marv

Buendia - McGinn- Bailey

Ings

• Like 2

Assuming Sanson, Luiz, Watkins and Bertie are all out.

I'd go with front 4 of JPB, Ings, Bailey & Buendia behind them. Marv and McGinn in midfield or

Bailey, Ings, Buendia, with JJ, McGinn and Marv behind them in midfield. 

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so bailey one side and either young/el ghazi on the other. no watkins. ffs......

Ramsey is better than El Ghazi so best to go with Buendia on right and Ramsey in centre, or go with JPB instead on left

• Like 1

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

McGinn    Nakamba

Buendia  Chukwuemeka  Bailey

Ings

Would like to see what Chuk could do in that number 10 role; but wouldn’t be against Ramsey starting there if he’s not ready for it.

Sanson or Luiz to come on to sure up the midfield if needed in the 90 minutes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

**** it.

Lawro has predicted that we're going to win 2-0 again

This has a loss written all over it. 

I **** hope not.

Losing to Wankford last week annoyed me way much more than it should have...if we lose to these humbug-shirted smeggers my missus will have to hide all the breakables.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll never understand how we treat and talk about injuries at Villa.

How on earth so many minor knocks can turn into players missing multiple games is beyond me, particularly when Smith seems to think it's nothing serious... Until it is.

That aside, I think we're in for a frustrating draw here. Both sides missing key players, both sides with shite midfields, Villa Park crowd sure to get antsy if no goal in the first 30 mins.

• Like 1