Pre Match thread

VillaChris

This is a huge game. We need to win it to get some points on the board. We have had a horrible pre season, Grealish has left and we have a few niggling injuries. 

If we lose this, we look a far less attractive proposition to potential signings in the last week of the window and we’ll have also lost to two teams who will be fighting relegation. 

FWIW, I think we’ll lose. We’re a poor side on paper and if we play anything like we did against Watford, they’ll score 2 or 3.

Can't wait to be back inside a packed VP for the first time in what feels like a lifetime.

Shame Bailey isn't fit enough to start and Watkins won't make it, but they have their own injury problems to deal with and I'm sure the added momentum our players will get from the crowd will carry them through.

2-0 Villa

Today will be my first visit to VP since the 2-0 home win against Newcastle back In November 2019. Hope the result is the same, fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, aygee said:

Can't wait to be back inside a packed VP for the first time in what feels like a lifetime.

Shame Bailey isn't fit enough to start and Watkins won't make it, but they have their own injury problems to deal with and I'm sure the added momentum our players will get from the crowd will carry them through.

2-0 Villa

Agreed. Hopefully Bailey comes on second half fired up and is attacking towards the Holte. Should be fun!!

47 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

--------------------Martinez---------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

-------Ramsey-----Nakamba----Mcginn-----

----Buendia---------Ings-------AEG--------

Yep this is the team- apart from potentially young for targett if the latter isn’t fit

1 minute ago, JPJCB said:

Yep this is the team- apart from potentially young for targett if the latter isn’t fit

This is the team I expect to see start but personally I wouldn't be averse to starting JPB ahead of AEG

• Like 1

After the performance last week I am not as confident about this game as I was this time last week. Gutted Watkins is injured as i'm excited to see Watkins/Ings/Bailey/Buendia and see how good the team really looks but looks like going to have to wait even longer. I'd imagine after last weekend Targett will be getting targeted by ASM, thats my big worry. Really don't want to see El Ghazi and Young start as wingers when the line up comes out, i'd imagine it will be a 4-3-3 with El Ghazi, Ings and Buendia with Ramsey coming in unless Douglas Luiz is ready to start. 

Majority of home teams won last weekend so hopefully that trend continues, expect Villa to come flying out the traps first 10-15 mins. Predicting a 2-1 win. 

I think I’d go for this, and give Bailey a start, then take him off later in the game

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings A.Young

Ramsey Nakamba McGinn

Buendia   Ings   Bailey

I’m torn over Targett, but I think ASM will be a handful so I’d go for the experience of Young. 

2 hours ago, darrenm said:

If they're playing their 3rd choice keeper I'd play 'shoot on sight' El Goalzy.

The rest picks itself imo:

Brick

Cash.  Konsa.  Mings.   Targett

Nakamba

Douglas.        McGinn

Buendia.      Ings.         El Goalzy

Now it looks to be pissing it down all day, definitely get El Ghazi to shoot on sight.

Surprised so many are picking JR ahead of Luiz. JR has been largely quiet for us when he has started matches. He always seems to do much better when coming off the bench. I would start with Doug and allow SJM to play higher up the pitch.

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

Surprised so many are picking JR ahead of Luiz. JR has been largely quiet for us when he has started matches. He always seems to do much better when coming off the bench. I would start with Doug and allow SJM to play higher up the pitch.

I don’t think Luiz is fully back yet. If he is I would put him in for Ramsey.

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

--------------------Martinez---------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

-------Ramsey-----Nakamba----Mcginn-----

----Buendia---------Ings-------AEG--------

Whatever the question in your head was mate, AEG is never the correct answer.