Pre Match thread

VillaChris

4 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

yes but thats what the many villa fans are like. I've been to Villa park many times and seen the crowd turn very quickly if we go a goal down early doors or if we are not hoofing the ball upfield straight away. So I think some people who have reacted to my comment with the laughing face havent been down to villa park if they dont think this will happen. There is a big expectation on our players to deliver, especially this season, whether they like or not and some people will always react like that.

I agree Villa Park can be difficult at times and expectations are always high at the club. Instead of wasting energy getting on the teams back, we could get behind them more .

• Like 3

12 hours ago, aygee said:

Newcastle looking good against West Ham today - this won't be an easy game but we should still have enough to beat them at home.  

Bailey must start and it's important that we play Buendia on the wing. I think we saw enough yesterday to say he won't be effective as a 10.  Unfortunately for Ings this will likely mean he loses his place to a returning Ollie Watkins, but it's great to finally have options up top.

I watched the Newcastle / West Ham and thought Newcastle looked OK going forward but shite defensively. . They commit going forward & are very susceptible to the counter. I think the game suits Watkins more than Ings but either one should  have a field day against them.

If Ollie is fit then I’d be starting him. That’s not to say Ings is bad, he’s clearly an excellent striker, but Watkins in the team gives us a familiarity that looked to be missing on Saturday. 

The second game of the season can never be labelled ‘must win’, but if we want to change the mood around the place quickly then we could really do with three points asap. 

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It's inexcusable to not dominate a match against a Steve Bruce team. I would expect we'll score enough to win with that dominance.

Be interesting to see the line-up.

We'll see.

We didn't dominate them on St.James Park last time out.

A rocking Villa Park should give us a big advantage though.

On 15/08/2021 at 12:28, Sulberto21 said:

Depending on fitness I'd go with:                       

Screenshot_20210815-122925_Google.jpg

This is the team for me.

I don't think its about winning necessarily but about getting a performance.  Getting the team to look like a team with players in their best positions and a decent formation/shape that allows us to compete effectively.  However, if we do get a performance, we should win given that we largely have better players than Newcastle.

Lose this and then we go to a very positive Brentford away (and they are a bit of a bogey side for us as well I seem to remember) followed by three tough fixtures.  We could find ourselves some way off the pace/firmly rooted to the bottom after nearly one sixth of the season. 

Annual 'Bruce has never got near a Smith side yet' post. Factor in Watkins being back and a home crowd and I'll say I'm kind of confident-ish.  The worry is a side containing Ings and Watkins up front flanked by the 2 B's means we can only have 2 in centre midfield and we could get over-run. I hope we do something to address that.

• Like 2

We have to win,there is no choice really,I mean just imagine if we lost this game as well ?!

Also,Us and Newcastle has been like a derby game ever since we sent them down in the last game of the season a while ago.

On 15/08/2021 at 15:28, Sulberto21 said:

Depending on fitness I'd go with:                       

Screenshot_20210815-122925_Google.jpg

I don't know why, but seeing those smiling faces stuck onto the pitch like that reminds me of....

DOMWBezW0AA3TsP.jpg

• Haha 1

Well, we weren't the first club to expect to overrun a newly promoted side!  Take a look at Arsenal vs Brentford!

Saturday we face a potential big club (to our advantage managed by Mr Defend All Game Bruce), forget about Watford - it happens, we have a team that still needs to Gel.

It may take a few games, but when we have so many new starters who have never played together, they need time.

Don't you realise that they are embarrassed  by the last result after all of the press activity they have generated.  They will come together and we will be on the up!

One loss means nothing when you are still in training.

Are Man City and Grealish writing off their season after two defeats?

On 16/08/2021 at 10:28, villalad21 said:

We'll see.

We didn't dominate them on St.James Park last time out.

A rocking Villa Park should give us a big advantage though.

Totally agree with the rocking Villa park effect, however some fans are already suggesting (hoping for?) a rapidly developing toxic atmosphere should things not go well. Let’s hope the rockers win through.

Referee: David Coote.
Assistants: Peter Kirkup, Nick Hopton. 
Fourth official: Matthew Donohue.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin.

Coote only refereed one game of ours last season. The awful 3-2 defeat away to Palace in gameweek 36 where we were ahead twice and managed to lose it.

15 minutes ago, smg said:

Totally agree with the rocking Villa park effect, however some fans are already suggesting (hoping for?) a rapidly developing toxic atmosphere should things not go well. Let’s hope the rockers win through.

Reality is if we don't get wins against Newcastle or Brentford we have everton, Chelsea and Spurs up next. 

Then we are looking at potentially 2-3 points after 6 games, which would be absolutely disastrous 

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Referee: David Coote.
Assistants: Peter Kirkup, Nick Hopton. 
Fourth official: Matthew Donohue.
VAR: Jarred Gillett.
Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin.

Coote only refereed one game of ours last season. The awful 3-2 defeat away to Palace in gameweek 36 where we were ahead twice and managed to lose it.

Shouldn't get in a flap over it.