Pre Match thread

VillaChris

I would go 4-3-3 to begin with.  Out of all of our senior midfielders, we only have McGinn and Nakamba who are definitely 'match ready', and they proved last weekend that they can't cope in a 4-2-3-1.  So going off who is likely to be fit:

Ings --- Watkins --- Bailey

Ramsey --- Nakamba --- McGinn

Young --- Mings --- Konsa --- Cash

Martinez

Upfront I'd have Ings and Watkins interchanging, Bailey in his preferred position on he right up against Ritchie and Clark, who will struggle with his trickery / pace.  If Watkins isn't fit then it's a toss up for me between starting Wes up top (I know but you've got to give him a chance right?) or putting JPB on the left and Ings up top.  Probably leaning towards the latter.

In midfield, ideally Sanson in place of Ramsey if fit. Luiz in place of Nakamba if he's got an ounce of energy left him him. There is then the potential to then bring on Buendia if we need to chase the game.

In defence I would drop Targett.  It sounds harsh after one bad game but Newcastle will almost certainly stick ASM on him after last weekend.  Young has the experience and mental strength to manage him better.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Reality is if we don't get wins against Newcastle or Brentford we have everton, Chelsea and Spurs up next. 

Then we are looking at potentially 2-3 points after 6 games, which would be absolutely disastrous 

People said that towards the end of last year and we beat both Chelsea and Spurs.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

He is though. You don't pay £30m for a player of his seniority and reputation to sit on the bench.

I tend to agree, I also think if you're OW you think you did enough last season to start the season. I think that's the dilemma facing DS. I think he needs to find a system that get's Watkins, Ings, Buendia and Bailey in the starting 11. 

A good mate of mine is a Norwich fan and he texted me as soon as he saw Buendia at 10 saying he doesn't work there. He need to play on the left cutting inside. 

For me this team gets everyone on the field and should be stable enough to avoid conceding:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn

Bailey Ings Buendia

Watkins

McGinn is key to this. He needs to be patient and only break forward when there is cover. Otherwise we get over run in midfield. Both him and Luiz need to provide support to the full backs too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I tend to agree, I also think if you're OW you think you did enough last season to start the season. I think that's the dilemma facing DS. I think he needs to find a system that get's Watkins, Ings, Buendia and Bailey in the starting 11. 

A good mate of mine is a Norwich fan and he texted me as soon as he saw Buendia at 10 saying he doesn't work there. He need to play on the left cutting inside. 

For me this team gets everyone on the field and should be stable enough to avoid conceding:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn

Bailey Ings Buendia

Watkins

McGinn is key to this. He needs to be patient and only break forward when there is cover. Otherwise we get over run in midfield. Both him and Luiz need to provide support to the full backs too. 

You are right, that is the best looking side we can produce at the moment and on paper, it has the potential to be really effective, but I am unsure about McGinn's discipline and/or Luiz's concentration. We seem to be struggling for a formula that suits us. Hopefully it comes soon, or the natives will become restless!

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Reality is if we don't get wins against Newcastle or Brentford we have everton, Chelsea and Spurs up next. 

Then we are looking at potentially 2-3 points after 6 games, which would be absolutely disastrous 

It wouldn’t be great but I don’t see how a toxic crowd reaction would help matters, I thought the crowd liked to be called the 12 man for Villa not the opposition ?

5 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

--------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

-----------------Luiz-----McGinn-------------------

Buendia-------------------------------------Bailey

------------------------------Ings---------------------

--------------Watkins-------------------------------

This is the only correct answer.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing Young at left back if Targett is anywhere near as off the pace as Saturday.

I think some people are rather disingenuous if they believe that villa fans want their team to lose. No fan wants that. However there are realists and idealists, and those who think things won't get tense if things are going poorly need to have a reality check. This dosen't mean that anyone wants this. But so often in life, what one wants, isn't necessarily what one gets. Funny how there are fans out there that want to create a them and us attitude amongst the villa faithful by peddling their "better fan" nonsense

• Like 1

On top first 15 and crowd will be fine.

I would imagine the thrill of being back to a full Villa Park will create quite some noise for kick-off.

There's no denying that although season tickets sales have been great, it's going to be an expectant crowd as well. Hurting from Grealish but excited by Ings and Bailey.

Newcastle did improve after Jones went in towards the end of the season, but as we know Steve Bruce will probably do plenty to help us.

A point would be a bad result, none a real stinker. A poor performance is unacceptable in this fixture.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

--------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

-----------------Luiz-----McGinn-------------------

Buendia-------------------------------------Bailey

------------------------------Ings---------------------

--------------Watkins-------------------------------

this is almost certainly how we'll line up with the only question mark being luiz. he's had a break and only trained this week. it wouldn't surprise me to see marvelous again.

possibly young over targett depending on how each of them has been in training this week

13 hours ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think some people are rather disingenuous if they believe that villa fans want their team to lose. No fan wants that. However there are realists and idealists, and those who think things won't get tense if things are going poorly need to have a reality check. This dosen't mean that anyone wants this. But so often in life, what one wants, isn't necessarily what one gets. Funny how there are fans out there that want to create a them and us attitude amongst the villa faithful by peddling their "better fan" nonsense

hasn't taken you long to work it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

On top first 15 and crowd will be fine.

I would imagine the thrill of being back to a full Villa Park will create quite some noise for kick-off.

There's no denying that although season tickets sales have been great, it's going to be an expectant crowd as well. Hurting from Grealish but excited by Ings and Bailey.

Newcastle did improve after Jones went in towards the end of the season, but as we know Steve Bruce will probably do plenty to help us.

A point would be a bad result, none a real stinker. A poor performance is unacceptable in this fixture.

We need to have respect for them etched in our play.....Gungho and we could be done again.

They have ASM, Willock, Wilson, Almeron....they are not the dumb bells some would have us think.

If we employ the right positional discipline and bide our time, we might be ok.....This all guns blazing ill disciplined stuff, will have us nursing disappoinment once again.

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Nice. We beaten all 3 of them in 2021 already.

23 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

You are right, that is the best looking side we can produce at the moment and on paper, it has the potential to be really effective, but I am unsure about McGinn's discipline and/or Luiz's concentration. We seem to be struggling for a formula that suits us. Hopefully it comes soon, or the natives will become restless!

No way does our best looking side feature McGinn over Hourihane.

• Shocked 1