Pre Match thread

VillaChris

On 17/08/2021 at 06:59, Herman22 said:

He needs to be patient and only break forward when there is cover.

I agree with your post and formation.

I am not sure we can lay it all at McGinn's feet though. The players around him should be aware of the change in formation and to some extent compensate. The team is not a bunch of children swarming the ball.

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, when we had Grealish, our one and only tactic was to pass to Grealish. Now, we have different options, it is a team game after all

I understand that and we have 3 for the price of one..all makes sense.

but Jack held the ball and drew players, that took pressure off others.....look we have to wait and see how they adjust without him..In theory we should be stronger, in practice, is something else.

If we have 3 new players in attacking positions all giving 8 out of 10 then, I agree.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I understand that and we have 3 for the price of one..all makes sense.

but Jack held the ball and drew players, that took pressure off others.....look we have to wait and see how they adjust without him..In theory we should be stronger, in practice, is something else.

If we have 3 new players in attacking positions all giving 8 out of 10 and I agree.

Grealish is a fantastic player and he will be great for Man City, if he is given time but it is a team game, 11 men out there on the pitch, not one. No player is bigger than the club, even someone as good as him 

7 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Grealish is a fantastic player and he will be great for Man City, if he is given time but it is a team game, 11 men out there on the pitch, not one. No player is bigger than the club, even someone as good as him 

can't argue with that....not sure what your point is?

if 11 arn't doing much, but one is, that one make a difference.

1 hour ago, fruitvilla said:

I agree with your post and formation.

I am not sure we can lay it all at McGinn's feet though. The players around him should be aware of the change in formation and to some extent compensate. The team is not a bunch of children swarming the ball.

did you see it?, there was plenty of positional issues.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

can't argue with that....not sure what your point is?

if 11 arn't doing much, but one is, that one make a difference.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, my point was that having one star man isn’t good for team morale. The rest of the squad wouldn’t have been in good spirits knowing that their only option was to pass to Grealish 

37 minutes ago, TRO said:

did you see it?

Only after Watford scored three?

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

there was plenty of positional issues.

Looked OKish after the first three goals. 

But my point stands ... if McGinn does go forward then someone drops back to fill in. 

Based on the high(low)lights ... the defence looked a bit rusty.

59 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, my point was that having one star man isn’t good for team morale. The rest of the squad wouldn’t have been in good spirits knowing that their only option was to pass to Grealish 

Its a funny one....I get your point....There's 2 opinions here, Jacks and the teams.

Jack maybe thought, he was fed up of carrying them......The team maybe thought they was fed up of him grabbing all the limelight.

Well, its sorted now and we have to get on without him....I was rather hoping some of them would step up and show us why, all the hype over Jack was false.....I'll have to wait until Saturday for them to have another go. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Its a funny one....I get your point....There's 2 opinions here, Jacks and the teams.

Jack maybe thought, he was fed up of carrying them......The team maybe thought they was fed up of him grabbing all the limelight.

Well, its sorted now and we have to get on without him....I was rather hoping some of them would step up and show us why, all the hype over Jack was false.....I'll have to wait until Saturday for them to have another go. 

I think you are correct, I also think that it is worth remembering that we are only 1 game in to the season. It is going to take some time for the new players to adapt but already after only 1 match, they are showing good signs, even though it was a defeat, I think there were positives to be taken from the match

29 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Only after Watford scored three?

Looked OKish after the first three goals. 

But my point stands ... if McGinn does go forward then someone drops back to fill in. 

Based on the high(low)lights ... the defence looked a bit rusty.

but Nakamba went forward on occasions too, so the defence was isolated....I always worry, when we look ok after going 3 goals behind, just like I did against Southampton at home when we went 4 goals behind and fought back...the fight back is very noble, but the issues are still there.

Playing well after the game is virtually over is a bit of a consolation prize.

I just hope we start on Saturday, with a full house and don't think we have to win the game in the first 15 minutes, for the fans.

This team need to show some control, patience, maturity and grit  .....and wait for their opportunities.

They need to expect some threat from Newcastle, not just go gungho and be caught out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TRO said:

I just hope we start on Saturday, with a full house and don't think we have to win the game in the first 15 minutes, for the fans.

This team need to show some control, patience, maturity and grit  .....and wait for their opportunities.

They need to expect some threat from Newcastle, not just go gungho and be caught out.

I think you’re spot on but people where I sit go up in arms when 1 pass goes astray in the opening minutes (I am aware that I probably haven’t worded that very well but I hope you catch my drift). I think us as supporters expect too much of our own team’s players generally these days and are too critical when errors are made on the pitch. The players aren’t superhuman, they will make mistakes, we as fans just need to stay with them when they do

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Newcastle is the type of team that will let you play.

Won't be in our faces as much.

Probably that one team who suit us the most.

That's why I'd bring Luiz in.

Newcastle will stand off him as usual and he can get on the ball and dictate play and hopefully get it out wide for likes of Bailey to hurt them and push them back.

No question whatsoever over his match fitness given he's been playing all summer so give him 65-70 minutes and then bring on Nakamba to hopefully see the game out which he's more effective at.

One issue of course is ASM so just hope DS has some sort of plan rather than just playing Young there and crossing his fingers. They'll probably throw Willock into the starting line up aswell.

Worth remembering that when we drew 1-1 up there in March all of Wilson, Saint Maximn and Almiron were injured and they still caused us a few issues on the break so they'll give us a much tougher game than the last two at VP I think where we've strolled it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's why I'd bring Luiz in.

Newcastle will stand off him as usual and he can get on the ball and dictate play and hopefully get it out wide for likes of Bailey to hurt them and push them back.

No question whatsoever over his match fitness given he's been playing all summer so give him 65-70 minutes and then bring on Nakamba to hopefully see the game out which he's more effective at.

One issue of course is ASM so just hope DS has some sort of plan rather than just playing Young there and crossing his fingers. They'll probably throw Willock into the starting line up aswell.

Worth remembering that when we drew 1-1 up there in March all of Wilson, Saint Maximn and Almiron were injured and they still caused us a few issues on the break so they'll give us a much tougher game than the last two at VP I think where we've strolled it.

Problem with ASM is unlike Adama he actually seem to have end product. 

Which side is he playing on?