Pre Match thread

VillaChris

On 18/08/2021 at 19:16, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you are correct, I also think that it is worth remembering that we are only 1 game in to the season. It is going to take some time for the new players to adapt but already after only 1 match, they are showing good signs, even though it was a defeat, I think there were positives to be taken from the match

I don't worry about the personnel that we have - I think that our squad looks strong (not so say that it couldn't be stronger with a few out and two or three more in).  I worry about Smith's ability to get the best out of it - he certainly made a really poor start with the first half against Watford and the set up for that game.

• Sad 1

Watkins being out gets rid of one issue and that’s the two up front problem. So Ings will start up top on his own. Most seem to be suggesting Bailey won’t start either and Traore is injured. So I think we are looking at this first 11. 

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett

Luiz McGinn

Buendia Ramsey Young

Ings

I fear we will see Young at LB and have to endure another 60mins of AEG on the left doing next to nothing. 

• Sad 1

Based on the Watford match and confirmed injuries, surely has to be

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Targett/Young

McGinn Ramsey Nakamba/Luiz

Buendia Ings Bailey

can also be 4-2-3-1 with Ramsey further forward.

---------------Martinez------------------

Cash---Konsa---Mings---Young

--------Nakamba---McGinn--------

-----Bailey---Buendia---JPB------

-------------------Ings--------------------

Young in for Targett to deal with ASM, after he was taken to the cleaners by Sarr last week. I don't think Targett is a bad defender, but he didn't look match fit last weekend and Young is supposedly one of the fittest players in the squad.

Keep Nakamba and McGinn but really would like to see Luiz back as he's better in possession, and we will probably dominate possession at home against Bruce.

I'd give Philogene-Bidace a start after a really promising preseason and El Ghazi not exactly showing much last weekend. We're going to miss having Traore as he would be the obvious player to come into the starting XI.

Hopefully the full house at Villa Park can galvanise us and give us the home advantage we need to get a win tomorrow. 2-1 for me :flag:

41 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't worry about the personnel that we have - I think that our squad looks strong (not so say that it couldn't be stronger with a few out and two or three more in).  I worry about Smith's ability to get the best out of it - he certainly made a really poor start with the first half against Watford and the set up for that game.

He said we were going to Watford with a game plan to go and get 3 points. I really can’t for the life of me think what that plan was. Especially seeing as Shakespeare spent a fair bit of time at Watford and knew all about Sarr, yet he had the freedom of the park.

If we dont start well agaist this mob I can see VP turning sour real quick. Really hope we pull it out the bag or the Villaverse will be a toxic place come quarter to five tomorrow. 

With Bailey unlikely to start and Ollie missing the game it’s hard to be optimistic for tomorrow, but I still can’t wait for it all the same. 
              Martinez 

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz Mcginn

Buendia    Ramsey   JPB

Ings 

That would be my 11, I thought Ramsey played well when he came on last weekend. I hope we’ve drilled into whoever starts on the right how dangerous Saint Maximin is down the wing, Cash will need to be supported more than Targett was last weekend 

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

With Bailey unlikely to start and Ollie missing the game it’s hard to be optimistic for tomorrow, but I still can’t wait for it all the same. 
              Martinez 

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz Mcginn

Buendia    Ramsey   JPB

Ings 

That would be my 11, I thought Ramsey played well when he came on last weekend. I hope we’ve drilled into whoever starts on the right how dangerous Saint Maximin is down the wing, Cash will need to be supported more than Targett was last weekend 

I think if JPB starts, Young will be in at LB. I hope DS sees the light and doesn’t start AEG again. I’d be much happier to see JPB or Chuk given a chance.  

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think if JPB starts, Young will be in at LB. I hope DS sees the light and doesn’t start AEG again. I’d be much happier to see JPB or Chuk given a chance.  

I’d like to see Targett start either way, we know he’s good enough and I feel like he’s a player who will struggle to recover if his confidence is shot. I agree either JPG or Chuk, could be a good opportunity for them now we know Bailey won’t start and Ollie’s out 

1 hour ago, Herman22 said:

I fear we will see Young at LB and have to endure another 60mins of AEG on the left doing next to nothing. 

Bailey???

I don't want to see El Ghazi play again.  If Roma want him we should be snapping their hands off for anything above £10m imho.

I would much rather JPB played.

1 hour ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Martinez 

Cash Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz Mcginn

Buendia    Ramsey   JPB

Ings 

Why not a Bailey start on the left? But I agree that JPB >>> AEG!

I am not convinced Ramsey is a "10" - but don't mind that 3 so would probably go (slight nuance I know):

-------------------- Luiz ------------------

--- SJM -------------------- Ramsey

with SJM probably as the more offensive of the two "8"s.

I would probably start Young at LB and give Targett more time to get up to speed.  I thought St Maximin was more likely to come from the left??

On 17/08/2021 at 14:51, Wainy316 said:

--------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

-----------------Luiz-----McGinn-------------------

Buendia-------------------------------------Bailey

------------------------------Ings---------------------

--------------Watkins-------------------------------

In light of the crap news from that press conference I'd go...

--------------------Martinez-------------------------

Cash------Konsa------Mings----------Targett

------------------Luiz-----Nakamba-------------------

-----------------------Mcginn-------------------------

JPB---------------------Ings------------------Buendia

9 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

Why not a Bailey start on the left? But I agree that JPB >>> AEG!

I am not convinced Ramsey is a "10" - but don't mind that 3 so would probably go (slight nuance I know):

-------------------- Luiz ------------------

--- SJM -------------------- Ramsey

with SJM probably as the more offensive of the two "8"s.

I would probably start Young at LB and give Targett more time to get up to speed.  I thought St Maximin was more likely to come from the left??

I’ve read that Deans said he’s unlikely to start tomorrow, I’d have him on the left otherwise. My mistake I thought St Max played on the left against West Ham, if that’s the case I think Young should be the choice too. If we can keep him quiet I think we’ll be fine

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

Bailey???

I don't want to see El Ghazi play again.  If Roma want him we should be snapping their hands off for anything above £10m imho.

I would much rather JPB played.

DS has said that Bailey is short of fitness and won't start, Traore out too.

16 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

im worried about this one, I saw nothing good at the Watford game. Im usually optimistic too.

Confident that they will be shit

The last 2 VP games have been 2 of the worst away team performances I've seen, battered them 2-0 both games, 60% possession

Expecting the same tomorrow, for as unsettled as we might be I expect them to be worse

Just got to hope the knicker wetters don't start up if ASM looks exciting for 5 minutes 

• Like 1