Pre Match thread

VillaChris

Full week's training at Bodymoor now to try to get over today and the season up and running.

We generally match up well v Newcastle so pressure on to win this game like we usually do. Ironically Hourihane would be o.k v them although given he wasn't even one of the 9 subs I assume he'll be moving at some point next week.

I'd personally be calling Luiz off holiday. Not ideal but others who featured at the Olympics will be playing for their clubs this weekend.

Would start Bailey and hope to get 60 minutes of him and hopefully Ollie can be involved and we should look much better in final third.

Will certainly be interesting team selection won't it? We have reasonable squad now so this is where DS has to use it after a very poor performance, 3-4 changes to show standard today is nowhere near good enough.

Ollie is a cert to start and can make strong cases for Bailey, Traore and Axel all to start aswell.

My kneejerk reaction team for this game:

Bailey   Ings   Buendia

McGinn

Ramsey  Nakamba

Young Mings Konsa Guilbert

Martinez

Buendia needs to get up his fitness so depending on how it's going would swap him for Traoré on 60. He should be ready for 90 mins from the game after Newcastle.

No idea where I'd fit Watkins in if he was fit,  probably instead of Ings on the last performance, but suspect he'll need a couple of games off the bench to get to speed.

Our preseason really has f&%ed us.

I'd go:

Martinez

Tuanzebe            Konsa                 Mings          Young

McGinn                  Ramsey

Traore                  Buendia                               Bailey

Watkins if fit./Ings     

• Like 2

Have to win this one. If we don't, the atmosphere against Brentford the week after will be toxic, and they are the type of team that play tactically, technically, thoughtfully and one which will take advantage of a negative, panicky atmosphere. This is a real gift for us. No offence to Newcastle, but its the game you want next after a loss. They have dangerous players, but the manager is one which should be outthought tactically. I think if we lose this then it will be a very mediocre season.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

My knee jerk reaction to today:

----------------------------Martinez------------------------

--------------Konsa------Mings----Hause-----------

Cash-------------------Nakamba------------Targett

----------------McGinn-------------Ramsey-------------

----------------------------Buendia--------------------------

----------------------------Watkins--------------------------

We need some sort of solid base to build from.

Without the knee, I'd like to see:

----------------------------Martinez------------------------

Cash----------Konsa---------Mings---------Targett

---------------------------Nakamba-------------------------

------------------McGinn------Ramsey*-----------------

Buendia----------------------------------------------Bailey

-----------------------------Watkins--------------------------

*With Luiz or Sanson in ahead of Ramsey if either are fit and ready.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

My kneejerk reaction team for this game:

Bailey   Ings   Buendia

McGinn

Ramsey  Nakamba

Young Mings Konsa Guilbert

Martinez

Buendia needs to get up his fitness so depending on how it's going would swap him for Traoré on 60. He should be ready for 90 mins from the game after Newcastle.

No idea where I'd fit Watkins in if he was fit,  probably instead of Ings on the last performance, but suspect he'll need a couple of games off the bench to get to speed.

Our preseason really has f&%ed us.

That’s pretty much how I would go apart from I would play Targett and move Young to right back in place of Cash. Targett was poor today but I think he is a very good player. I would also play Ollie in place of Ings.

I suspect Dean will stick with a 2 man midfield and I suspect we will lose again. 

1 hour ago, messi11 said:

Surely ings must start. Seen a lot of line ups without him

It's tricky - it's hard to play both Ings and Watkins without sacrificing the wingers and I think most people want to get Bailey into the side - so you end up with a choice between the two or you're unbalanced or you have Bailey on the bench. 

Huge game. Cant afford many more performances like the Watford one. Leon Bailey and Bertie T should be starting this one, hopefully Ollie will be fully fit and we can give the returning home faithful a good day out. Buendia looked well off it on debut, maybe needs a bit more time to get to full fitness.

Newcastle looking good against West Ham today - this won't be an easy game but we should still have enough to beat them at home.  

Bailey must start and it's important that we play Buendia on the wing. I think we saw enough yesterday to say he won't be effective as a 10.  Unfortunately for Ings this will likely mean he loses his place to a returning Ollie Watkins, but it's great to finally have options up top.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, messi11 said:

Surely ings must start. Seen a lot of line ups without him

You'd think whoevers scoring keeps the shirt, that's the Deano way. However, it cannot be understated how important Ollie is to our gameplay, he is an outstanding front man, maybe not as clinical as Ings but imo he should be first choice or an adapted formation to field them both. 4132? 433 probably.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If we lose and the atmosphere does turn toxic for Brentford game then I think people seriously need to have a word with themselves. Not directed at you, but Jesus, one game in and people are already losing their shit. Football brings the worst out in people .

yes but thats what the many villa fans are like. I've been to Villa park many times and seen the crowd turn very quickly if we go a goal down early doors or if we are not hoofing the ball upfield straight away. So I think some people who have reacted to my comment with the laughing face havent been down to villa park if they dont think this will happen. There is a big expectation on our players to deliver, especially this season, whether they like or not and some people will always react like that.

• Like 1