Pre Match thread

VillaChris

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Problem with ASM is unlike Adama he actually seem to have end product. 

Which side is he playing on? 

The ones that look like they are wearing jail pyjamas.

Newcastle.

• Haha 1

2nd game of the season and it's a must-win. 

Atmosphere at VP should be excellent. Tottenham Stadium was electric on Sunday, I'd love to see that kind of energy at VP, but it's only Newcastle, so..

It'll be good to see Bailey play possibly the full 90. Eager to see Buendia bounce back.

Will Targett stay benched?

Will Cash sit?

Will Ollie be back?

How will we line up?

So many questions...

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

That's why I'd bring Luiz in.

Newcastle will stand off him as usual and he can get on the ball and dictate play and hopefully get it out wide for likes of Bailey to hurt them and push them back.

No question whatsoever over his match fitness given he's been playing all summer so give him 65-70 minutes and then bring on Nakamba to hopefully see the game out which he's more effective at.

One issue of course is ASM so just hope DS has some sort of plan rather than just playing Young there and crossing his fingers. They'll probably throw Willock into the starting line up aswell.

Worth remembering that when we drew 1-1 up there in March all of Wilson, Saint Maximn and Almiron were injured and they still caused us a few issues on the break so they'll give us a much tougher game than the last two at VP I think where we've strolled it.

If Luiz is ready to play I'd start him too. But I may even play him as an 8 with McGinn and leave Nakamba as the 6 (as long as he doesn't play any more suicide passes). 

• Thanks 1

My team would be:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings A.Young

Luiz Nakamba McGinn

Bailey Ollie Buendia

Subs: Steer, Targett, Tuanzebe, J.Ramsey, Sanson (if fit), Traore (if fit - unlikely), El Ghazi, Ings, Wesley 

If Sanson and Traore not available then Chuk and JPB make the bench. 

My reasons - Ollie's pressing and pace is important for us, Ings is a great finisher but if Smith is going to try to shoe horn him in at the expense of one of our most important players last season he's lost his marbles. Ings is a great impact player and can force his way in off the bench (provided Ollie is fit for this one).

I'm still not sure on that defence, Young is experienced and still at a reasonable standard but someone like Wijndal would have provided better competition for Targett. But with Targett's performance last week I'd be worried putting him up against ASM in his current fitness so probably has to be Young. 

Buendia was poor against Watford so he has to perform better, but he gets another chance here coming in off the left. I think that front three is more than enough to win us the game and with Ings on the bench as long as we defend well we should have enough to get 3 points. Luiz boosts our midfield too if he's ready.

I think anything less than 4 points from the next 2 and there'll be more than a few grumbles, though 6 points is realistic and must be the aim. If Smith picks his strongest team and doesn't mess around with his selections we should be OK. I'm p*ssed off that Traore seems to have got injured in a pointless game on Sunday though and Sanson never ever seems to be fit for some reason even though he was always fit when playing for Marseille. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

2nd game of the season and it's a must-win. 

Atmosphere at VP should be excellent. Tottenham Stadium was electric on Sunday, I'd love to see that kind of energy at VP, but it's only Newcastle, so..

It'll be good to see Bailey play possibly the full 90. Eager to see Buendia bounce back.

Will Targett stay benched?

Will Cash sit?

Will Ollie be back?

How will we line up?

So many questions...

It isn't a must win 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My team would be:

Emi

Cash Konsa Mings A.Young

Luiz Nakamba McGinn

Bailey Ollie Buendia

Subs: Steer, Targett, Tuanzebe, J.Ramsey, Sanson (if fit), Traore (if fit - unlikely), El Ghazi, Ings, Wesley 

If Sanson and Traore not available then Chuk and JPB make the bench. 

My reasons - Ollie's pressing and pace is important for us, Ings is a great finisher but if Smith is going to try to shoe horn him in at the expense of one of our most important players last season he's lost his marbles. Ings is a great impact player and can force his way in off the bench (provided Ollie is fit for this one).

I'm still not sure on that defence, Young is experienced and still at a reasonable standard but someone like Wijndal would have provided better competition for Targett. But with Targett's performance last week I'd be worried putting him up against ASM in his current fitness so probably has to be Young. 

Buendia was poor against Watford so he has to perform better, but he gets another chance here coming in off the left. I think that front three is more than enough to win us the game and with Ings on the bench as long as we defend well we should have enough to get 3 points. Luiz boosts our midfield too if he's ready.

I think anything less than 4 points from the next 2 and there'll be more than a few grumbles, though 6 points is realistic and must be the aim. If Smith picks his strongest team and doesn't mess around with his selections we should be OK. I'm p*ssed off that Traore seems to have got injured in a pointless game on Sunday though and Sanson never ever seems to be fit for some reason even though he was always fit when playing for Marseille. 

I'd pick the same team but Bailey and Buendia on opposite sides 

• Like 2

I’d look at the following starting XI and formation against the barcodes

Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

McGinn.Nakamba.Luiz

Buendia.Ings.Bailey

Subs: Ned Steer, Tuanzebe, Young, Ramsay, Sanson, Chukwuemeka (unless Traore is fit) and Watkins 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

McGinn.Nakamba.Luiz

Buendia.Ings.Bailey

Subs: Ned Steer, Tuanzebe, Young, Ramsay, Sanson, Chukwuemeka (unless Traore is fit) and Watkins 

I think that Nakamba and Luiz are good players individually but they don’t compliment each other when they play together. I’d play Sanson instead of either of them if he’s fit, I think he would compliment the other midfielders that we have. Although, Sanson has only come on as sub in a few matches, you could tell he has quality on the ball

@sirgarycahill. I doubt Sanson is anywhere near match fit, although would love to see him get minutes against Barrow next week.

With Nakamba in the 6 position, it may give Dougie a little more licence to move around and influence the middle of the park.

I think it could work personally  

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

@sirgarycahill. I doubt Sanson is anywhere near match fit, although would love to see him get minutes against Barrow next week.

With Nakamba in the 6 position, it may give Dougie a little more licence to move around and influence the middle of the park.

I think it could work personally  

I think you’re right about Sanson, just ease him in, it would be cruel on him to expect him to perform miracles against Newcastle United. 

Whenever Nakamba and Luiz have played together for us, they don’t work well together in my opinion. They are good individually though 

• Like 1

Any word if Ollie has trained this week. If he's only going to return tomorrow that puts him on the bench at best. Full week of training and I'd expect him to start given he played all of pre season so it's just a week off.

Guess we'll find out from the presser what's going on.

A full week's training is a rare luxury at Bodymoor so let's hope we've made the most of it.

Edited by VillaChris

21 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re spot on but people where I sit go up in arms when 1 pass goes astray in the opening minutes (I am aware that I probably haven’t worded that very well but I hope you catch my drift). I think us as supporters expect too much of our own team’s players generally these days and are too critical when errors are made on the pitch. The players aren’t superhuman, they will make mistakes, we as fans just need to stay with them when they do

I think some of our fans expect to blow teams away, every time we play and don't pay respect to a more mature and patient opening.

It used to be said " you have to win the right to play football"....its a line well worth taking in IMO. You arrive in the game first by winning duels and securing the initiative, then you go looking for goals, when the platform is built and the initiative secured.

We go "Goal Greedy " to soon, by way of playing too open and leaving huge gaps for the opposition to gain a foothold....We have to stop that trait.

Its like a boxer, throwing knockout punches, before he's weighed the fight up.

The sort of player I am looking for to bring in, would help us do just that.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think some of our fans expect to blow teams away, every time we play and don't pay respect to a more mature and patient opening.

It used to be said " you have to win the right to play football"....its a line well worth taking in IMO. You arrive in the game first by winning duels and securing the initiative, then you go looking for goals, when the platform is built and the initiative secured.

We go "Goal Greedy " to soon, by way of playing too open and leaving huge gaps for the opposition to gain a foothold....We have to stop that trait.

Its like a boxer, throwing knockout punches, before he's weighed the fight up.

The sort of player I am looking for to bring in, would help us do just that.

I think you’re spot on as per usual, even Man City don’t blow everyone away with the money they’ve spent, well they will now if they sign Harry Kane too. 

We have to be patient as fans and the results will come, it will take time for the new players to settle in and gel but even after one match, the early signs are good, 1 assist for Leon Bailey and 1 goal for Danny Ings in the first match against Watford away. 

We have to find that fine balance between attacking and defending, it will take time but the foundations are in place now. 

In the short time that Dean Smith has been in charge at the club, he has transformed us from mid-table in The Championship to mid-table in the Premier League. He has done a fantastic job and will only continue to do so hopefully 

TRO, you always talk sense and I also agree with you, it is a pleasure to read your posts and interact with you on here

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re spot on as per usual, even Man City don’t blow everyone away with the money they’ve spent, well they will now if they sign Harry Kane too. 

We have to be patient as fans and the results will come, it will take time for the new players to settle in and gel but even after one match, the early signs are good, 1 assist for Leon Bailey and 1 goal for Danny Ings in the first match against Watford away. 

We have to find that fine balance between attacking and defending, it will take time but the foundations are in place now. 

In the short time that Dean Smith has been in charge at the club, he has transformed us from mid-table in The Championship to mid-table in the Premier League. He has done a fantastic job and will only continue to do so hopefully 

TRO, you always talk sense and I also agree with you, it is a pleasure to read your posts and interact with you on here

You are very Kind....I love the game, I love learning and the game is always changing, its dynamic, but we sometimes go back to things that were popular, years back too....my thoughts are naturally influenced by others too, I am no pioneer of the football thought process and I certainly do not have a monopoly of whats right....they are my opinions....I might have a strong opinion, but they are NOT facts, never claimed them to be.

Dean Smith for me has done a great job, but in my humble opinion has blind spots too.....I accept the best managers get it wrong for some reasons too...Pep has just failed in 2 finals and imo got it wrong in the Euro final, doesn't mean I know more about the game than him, that would be foolish....but we all spot things, Dean is one man, we are 42,000 sets of eyes and opinions.

I think you are absolutely spot on about finding that fine balance between Defence and attack and more importantly the timing of when to switch from one to the other and the seamless transition of it.

We all pick players and formations, but should we be depicting the " job to be done" in those positions and can the elected player do it.....we need to be sure what we are asking them to do and not just deploy a player in a spot, if he doesn't have the designated attributes.

You are right, Dean has done remarkably well, but it doesn't mean we have arrived, Jack has been a huge set back and now we have to re-adjust and learn to play without him.

It will take time for the players to gel, but that does not excuse lack of fitness, or competive edge or a willingness to run.....some things are excusable, but equally some are much less excusable in my book.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, theboyangel said:

Martinez

Cash.Konsa.Mings.Targett

McGinn.Nakamba.Luiz

Buendia.Ings.Bailey

Good team 

I'd possibly start young though to deal with ASM 

• Thanks 2