Ratings & Reactions: Watford v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/08/21 at 22:59

44 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

We've had a a turbulent summer, shortened by the Euros somewhat with players returning late and the saga that played out. I think we are going to have teething issues for the first few weeks maybe much longer whilst players bed in to this team. The season imo started 2-3 weeks too early for us with the amount of incomings and lack of integration time they've had. 

From the game.....I'm not sure Ings and Ollie will work as a pairing and tbh I prefer Ollie as a solo. For the physical battle against defences, his speed at covering ground and his overall movement in the channels. Also, if McGinn is too stay in the middle then he needs more than Marv next to him, a great ratter he is but little else. They both got bypassed time and time again with Watford playing through them and I think we need a real boss in there. I thought Marv lost many of the 1-1s today and looked clumsy at times. Cash.....Dreadful, needs to liven up his shit after that showing or I'd be putting Freddie in his place or Axel. Targett off the pace. Bailey, excellent considering the very little time he's had to readjust since landing. Traore, also looked great when he came on.  

I also think this should be our 3 behind Watkins...

Buendia      Traore    Bailey

Ollie

I think this will give us the most balance going forward. Bailey looks the most adaptable to the LW position after todays cameo. 

Anyway one game and although disappointing nothing to be too concerned about but we must start next week better in our first home game in front of a packed VP. 

Traore has not got the discipline to play in that position it has to be Buendia 

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

I was saying sack the fitness coach.😀

We have a fitness coach? 

Let’s throw rotten fruit at him. He won’t be able to run away, he’ll be gassed after 15 yards.

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

are we saying tha pre -season was a washout.

blimey, it sounds like the player with the biggest excuse, due to a late induction, LB was our best player......Bizarre.

I actually didn't even want him played mate, as I feared for him.

However, quality obviously stands out.

I get what you're saying though, overall.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Strongly disagree.

Smith massively bottled it with the team selection.

El Ghazi out of position. Young out of position. Buendia out of position.

Was just a big mess and very odd.

Targett was awful because he was left totally exposed by a non existent midfield. That’s totally on the manager.

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

Agree with this, really thought JPB was the bright spark on the wings in the friendlies. He went with tried and tested instead of form and back fired

One of Deano's instincts. He is conservative first. Only goes all out when it's looking a bit desperate.

I really hope we address the midfield issue before the end of the window. I don’t think any combination of Luiz, sanson, mcginn or Nakamba would have worked in that set up today. I’m also against the signing of JWP because I don’t think he’s the answer to our problems 

Edited by IrishVilla10
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, supermon said:

It's the personnel that's the issue, Nakamba is garbage and McGinns should only be on as a sub. This has been apparant since we lost Grealish towards the end of last season. Really hoping he was forced into this, hopefully Luiz back and play anyone else other than McGinn

Astonished you rate  McGinn so poorly, for me in the right midfield he plays . One of out better players over the last 2 seasons . 

We are one game in  disappointing start but may take a little time to adapt .  

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Will be a very sad season without Grealish.

We will come to realize how dependent we've been on him.

He'll absolutely smash it at City.

Wrong Wrong and Wrong

Please dont allow one match to bring you to so many conclusions 

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah but Young is 36 and managed it. It’s not necessarily about outplaying him, it’s about nullifying him. God had the pace of a large cathedral, but his positioning was such that he was always where he needed to be to snuff out the threat. 

Targett’s head had gone after 10 mins.

gone where....Targett has his good points granted, but certain types of wingers, i.e pacey ones, he struggles....he isn't the quickest.....I accept the mitigation, but raw pace is hard to negate.

I didn't see the game, perhaps he was brilliant really and thats why the manager changed it.

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

I really hope we address the midfield issue before the end of the window. I don’t think any combination of Luiz, sanson, mcginn or sanson would have worked in that set up today. I’m also against the signing of JWP because I don’t think he’s the answer to our problems 

Would have improved our awful passing in the first 15 mins.

36 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t agree. If he had started a three with Bailey, Ings and Buendia and an extra man ((Ramsey I guess) in the middle of the park, we would have had a much better chance of getting a result. He messed up badly. He under estimated them and paid the price

Fair enough. I think apart from a couple of comments about El Ghazi, we weren't too unhappy at the start and could see the reasoning of not starting Bailey and Traore.

Worth mentioned that Buendia didn't exactly look great today and that may have affected us more than Smith thought.

Just now, supermon said:

I get that, but come on there were some rank performances whilst Grealish was out

No doubt! But this is not a continuation, I think this was we weren’t ready for the season

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I dont think @TRO was saying hes a bad defender by all means but he is right and he doesn’t have that BUT what he does have to make up for it is great timing and the ability to position himself well and that had painted over the cracks for where he came up against pacey forwards

So, let me get this right... What your trying to say is that Targetts counter to pacey forwards is timing and positioning? That's not papering over cracks but utilising his own strengths ffs.

Â