Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Personally I think mentally he isn't strong enough to cope with playing in England.

As is the villa way even if we do sell him it won't be for anything near a profit. Loan to Turkey then.

on the Turkey Train.

Selling Bailey this window would be the right thing to do. There’s no way of being sustainable and not having FFP worries without selling players who aren’t good enough for sizeable money. All the top clubs do this. 2 years left on his deal and still only 25 and he’s not had a bad return (4g 4a in the premier league). Genuinely think sell to a lower mid table team like a Fulham and could easily get £20-£25mill.   Reinvest the money. 

23 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Personally I think mentally he isn't strong enough to cope with playing in England.

As is the villa way even if we do sell him it won't be for anything near a profit. Loan to Turkey then.

Mentally? It's physically he's not strong enough, he's made of paper. One strong tackle and he's out of the game. Very poor touch and a complete head down merchant. Like you said it'll be a loan to turkey, run down his contract and he goes for a nominal fee or for free like so many of the players we sign. 

• Like 1

He's been a weird one. Was such an exciting signing at the time, but I think a combination of injuries, struggling to adapt to the league and seemingly constant hits to his confidence have made him a bit of a write off. You can see the ability is there in moments but I'm not sure I can see him putting it together properly. He'd definitely still be a handy option in the squad but can see why the club would be open to offers.

I'd guess this was contract related considering the timing, with 2 years left.

I wouldn't be surprised if he were here when the window closes.

If we are really interested in selling him I'd guess some kind of swap deal would be the best way, his name still carries a lot of weight.

Entering the 2 years of loan to Turkey cycle of his Villa career?

He never looked the same after that early injury he got. Plays like he doesn't trust his body and like he's lost most of his confidence because of it. He was explosive before that happened, now he's just kinda quick.

It's almost as though the club have moved onto another level since he's been with us.

Bailey is a notable improvement on El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore. However we now need the next level of winger.

Overall so far he's been disappointing, and I wouldn't be against him if we can recoup the money invested. 

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

It's almost as though the club have moved onto another level since he's been with us.

Bailey is a notable improvement on El Ghazi, Trezeguet and Traore. However we now need the next level of winger.

Overall so far he's been disappointing, and I wouldn't be against him if we can recoup the money invested. 

He stats say otherwise tbh . He's been living off a 30m price tag, a fabled reputation that's he is rapid and a reputation fostered on bygone Fifas and CMs that he's a high potential player.

His highs in a Villa shirt haven't reached any of those players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, wilko154 said:

Was he though? 

• El Ghazi was like playing with 10 men at times, but he was significantly more prolific than Bailey ever was for us. 
  • Trez was incredibly limited as a footballer but he still offered more for the team with his pressing and defensive contribution than Bailey.
  • Traore doesn't have a right foot but still manages to score key goal after key goal whenever he's on the pitch for us (evidenced even last season).

Bailey on paper was supposed to be a huge upgrade, but in reality has been one of the biggest flops we've ever signed.  

• Like 1

Unai played Leon much more than Buendia whenever " fit " . So what makes people think that Leon is the first in line for sale if another winger arrives?

Unless it's purely a financial decision.

As a couple of others have noted, regardless of him being " underwhelming " he is a step up in quality from the likes of Trez.

He has been a starter when fit, as noted we now need the " next level of winger " , this doesn't mean you instantly sell the other one.

Leon could now simply become a squad player, and if he doesn't step up, then is replaced in the next window with better.

It's improving the squad in increments, unless we are buying 2 - 3 wingers in this window?

We have 4 or 5 players much more likely to be on the " sell " priority list imo, and Traore is one of them, despite cult hero status.

IMO of course.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

His end product isn’t horrific and he contributes to build up play better than buendia imo. His runs and movements create spaces and opportunities for others. That’s why I don’t like the over use of FBREF stats as it doesn’t take in so many other nuances and factors. Bailey as a squad player fighting for his place is a a much better proposition than just selling him as he hasn’t lived up to certain peoples own expectations. 

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

His end product isn’t horrific and he contributes to build up play better than buendia imo. His runs and movements create spaces and opportunities for others.

I disagree.

19 minutes ago, thabucks said:

That’s why I don’t like the over use of FBREF stats as it doesn’t take in so many other nuances and factors.

Agree!

They're used heavily by people who don't really get what's going on in front of them. Or don't watch games of course. They can just say look, big green bar, he's good.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Unai played Leon much more than Buendia whenever " fit " . So what makes people think that Leon is the first in line for sale if another winger arrives?

Unless it's purely a financial decision.

As a couple of others have noted, regardless of him being " underwhelming " he is a step up in quality from the likes of Trez.

He has been a starter when fit, as noted we now need the " next level of winger " , this doesn't mean you instantly sell the other one.

Leon could now simply become a squad player, and if he doesn't step up, then is replaced in the next window with better.

It's improving the squad in increments, unless we are buying 2 - 3 wingers in this window?

We have 4 or 5 players much more likely to be on the " sell " priority list imo, and Traore is one of them, despite cult hero status.

IMO of course.

I generally agree but it’s been reported or mentioned that he, specifically, is available for sale. 

How much truth there is in that? Can’t tell for sure…

But Collomosse is recognised as one of the more credible or reputable football journalists. Article linked earlier, it’s a very short line though.

I find it really surprising tbh, we need a squad and options and I’m not eager for us to sell anyone who got significant game time last season. They can further improve too.

We do have some actual “cast offs” that need shifting instead but… they’re not going to bring much money in either…

Thing is, none of us knows how Unai sees things and what he has planned for this season…

Edited by Jas10

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

I generally agree but it’s been reported or mentioned that he, specifically, is available for sale. 

How much truth there is in that? Can’t tell for sure…

But Collomosse is recognised as one of the more credible or reputable football journalists. Article linked earlier, it’s a very short line though.

I find it really surprising tbh, we need a squad and options and I’m not eager for us to sell anyone who got significant game time last season. They can further improve too.

We do have some actual “cast offs” that need shifting instead but… they’re not going to bring much money in either…

Thing is, none of us knows how Unai sees things and what he has planned for this season…

I'll add that, if he IS sold... i'd probably understand, but still be gutted about how it's gone.

I just don't necessarily think he is highest on the priority list, and we could do worse than having him in the squad.

Though the thinking may be to cash in while he still has some value, and add to spend on higher pedigree.

Which is what Moncho does I think.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'll add that, if he IS sold... i'd probably understand, but still be gutted about how it's gone.

I just don't necessarily think he is highest on the priority list, and we could do worse than having him in the squad.

Though the thinking may be to cash in while he still has some value, and add to spend on higher pedigree.

Which is what Moncho does I think.

Again, I agree with you. I don’t have any desire to see him sold and there’s a lot more for him to offer… same goes for Buendia. I want to see Unai bring out the best in them.

We need a quality squad with plenty of options and alternatives, one or two game changers would be welcome... With 5 subs, there’s always the opportunity to change a game if you’re able to bring someone decent on…

I never expected him to be under consideration to be sold but maybe there’s more to this than “meets the eye” etc. He might be unhappy (wants to be a guaranteed first team regular), wants a pay rise (we don’t think he’s deserving of it) or it’s just that Unai doesn’t think that highly of him and it’s worth getting a decent fee before his contract and value declines even further…

🤷‍♂️

We will have to see, it’s a curious one…

• Like 1

i cant see us selling him tbh, not unless we are buying 2-3 forward players, probably 3 needed to warrant selling him tbh.

I would guess we want Traore through the eit door before Bailey, but eh....Troare is a broken toy right now.

Â