Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

On 25/06/2023 at 21:29, Risso said:

I think it's called making do with what you've got.

Fair point but it could be made for the majority of our players… all the more intriguing as to who Unai will sign and which positions will he strengthened…

4 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Love to see how many players in the 30-35 mil bracket are banging in goals and assists for other teams, can't believe there are many, especially ones brought in from abroad or whose success was mainly in a lower league.

Buendia has a lot of supporting stats that show his overall contribution is pretty decent even if he should get more assists and goals, as someone pointed out on another thread golden age Grealish didn't actually deliver that many goals and assists, didn't mean his influence was rubbish. Not saying Buendia is at his level, not even close but he def does more than he gets credit for.

After a really awful spell under both Stevie G and even early days of Emery, Bailey -  started to show he is capable of a cut back, pass or cross that would lead to goals in the last embers of the season - he has the attributes, he's just been woefully inconsistent and lacking in confidence. Buendia gets too easily riled and needs to find space/positioning better. Both can hopefully push on with Emery coaching them.

I accept we need to rely less on both and both can certainly contribute more, but the constant criticism of both players is tedious and boring, both can do a job for us and both will be needed as we want to add to this squad not replace everyone.

We need better attacking options, Watkins is too isolated. I think we will sign another two attackers - if we sell Buendia or Bailey I won't be upset but perfectly relaxed about them getting another season also.

Great post, both possess a lot of talent and are very different players. There is a lot to “unlock” and they can do a lot better, I believe Unai will demonstrate/prove that next season.

I will never write off Buendia… his ability to thread the ball through to the CF and weight of pass can be exceptional. He’s a very creative player and those are few and far between…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

If you ignore Buendia defensive and pressing game than he's useless but so is ignoring that

He’s far from useless, even if he didn’t press and work so hard. He’s such a creative player and possesses that killer ball. Just feels like too many are all too often too eager to write off our players in short spaces of time and disregard or overlook other factors such as managerial changes, poor or non existent coaching, team integration, injuries etc. etc.

We’re not going to quickly discard players who we have invested so much in and have proven that they can make some sort of contribution and improve. The fact that Unai played both of these players lends more credence to that… he must value them to some extent…

I’m sure Unai has publicly praised both players too… I definitely recall him stating how good of a player Buendia is.

Buendia largely became a mainstay of our team once Unai arrived and after the debacle of the SG & Coutinho relationship. 

Bailey was usually selected when fit.

22 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Great post, both possess a lot of talent and are very different players. There is a lot to “unlock” and they can do a lot better, I believe Unai will demonstrate/prove that next season.

I will never write off Buendia… his ability to thread the ball through to the CF and weight of pass can be exceptional. He’s a very creative player and those are few and far between…

Very true. I've said it a thousand times. As effective as Watkins can be, he isn't the kind of striker Buendia thrives behind.

On 25/06/2023 at 18:11, nepal_villan said:

Perplexes me how a professional footballer can be without a decent weak foot.  

His right foot will be better than any of ours but it may simply be not up to the quality of playing in the Premier league. 8

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Very true. I've said it a thousand times. As effective as Watkins can be, he isn't the kind of striker Buendia thrives behind.

I think Unai can further improve both players… if they can strike up a proper relationship and understanding… it would be very fruitful.

Buendia made Pukki look good… give him a better CF to play with (and a side that is set up to best support and aid him) and watch the magic… I’ve always thought this…

Again, Unai improved our players so much in such a short space of time. Just imagine what he will be able to do with more time, a pre season, his first full season…

It almost doesn’t make sense to write anyone off really…

It’s likely that Unai will make the most of Bailey’s talents and put his speed and technique to better use…. Coaching…. We have never had this standard of coaching at the club… it’s crazy…

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Jesus that would never be scored today

Merse and Carbone were fantastic players for us, stupendous technique (played in same team).

Check this beauty out, one of my favourite moments:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Merse and Carbone were fantastic players for us, stupendous technique (played in same team).

Have never seen the angle of that goal from directly behind him. Looks so simple with  all that goal to aim for, but brilliant vision and awareness to realise it's  on

3 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

Have never seen the angle of that goal from directly behind him. Looks so simple with  all that goal to aim for, but brilliant vision and awareness to realise it's  on

I loved him and was devastated he left… also after the disappointing FA Cup loss to Chelsea. We did have a really good side back then but Gregory wasn’t backed well enough and we couldn’t take that “next step”…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I more meant the standard of keeping. 

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Surely this is FIFA or AI generated?

By all accounts he's never been capable of running, beating a player,.assisting or scoring. Lol

Contributed absolutely nothing since he's been here apparently

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Surely this is FIFA or AI generated?

By all accounts he's never been capable of running, beating a player,.assisting or scoring. Lol

Contributed absolutely nothing since he's been here apparently

We can, all too often, be overly harsh on our players… let’s give them a full season under Unai before judging I say…

What’s been your personal view on and opinion of Bailey since he’s been here JV? How do you think he’s done and how much more is there to come?

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I really don’t know where this quality is being stored? I think he is bang average and there is no way I would ever start him over Bertie.

I think Bailey has been afforded more than his fair of opportunities - much as I like Bertie, I don’t believe he will get much game time, so for me - I would ship out Bailey and get an upgrade - Not a huge fan of the ox but I do think he would offer more than Bailey can 

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We can, all too often, be overly harsh on our players… let’s give them a full season under Unai before judging I say…

What’s been your personal view on and opinion of Bailey since he’s been here JV? How do you think he’s done and how much more is there to come?

Indeed.

Personally, like others, of course I think he's been underwhelming overall.

However, nowhere near as bad as some would try to make it seem.

He has contributed crucially to our points tally regardless of the aesthetics of it.

I'm also empathetic to the fact that he has had injury which seems to have knocked both his confidence and willingness to push himself.

That being said, obviously as a Villa fan I'm well aware he needs to do better, and more consistently to have a chance here.

I'm not sure " what to expect" from him to be honest, but I think it's " sink or swim " time.

We could do much worse than having him in the squad though imo

• Like 3

Â