Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

29 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Bailey will be an important squad player this season. Some of the reactionary nonsense that some people come out with after a 30minute pre-season cameo is embarrassing. 

Indeed. Regular enough squad member in CL places form since Emery took over

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Let's be real, if he wasn't " out of favour " , alot of the little things he gets slated for wouldn't even be a " thing " .

It's almost as if people are waiting for him to make a mistake, so they can hit enter on a pre typed message in the send box.

He also did a couple of good things, which you will barely see get mentioned bar a couple of posters.

I do think, this goes for a couple of other players as well, in fairness.

Yeah, I agree with this. Buendia being the other main other one. 

Just needs a run of five or so games where he contributes well, similar to the end of last season. 

Bailey stank it out. No drama, but he did.

Doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

9 hours ago, Thug said:

I don’t disagree with your point about deserving success, or having brilliant supporters.

Cool.

On 24/07/2023 at 18:25, Don_Simon said:

Sometimes I think this fanbase doesn't deserve success. So unnecessarily hostile, it blows my mind.

I was responding to this wide of the mark post.

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Bailey stank it out. No drama, but he did.

Doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

Cool.

I was responding to this wide of the mark post.

You disagree that some of the fanbase is unnecessarily hostile? And that those that are don't deserve success?

I agree that a 30 minute preseason cameo shouldn't be used to judge him. The problem is, that 30 minute cameo looked pretty much the same as how he plays for us most of the time. Taking 1 too many dribbles, tripping himself up sometimes etc. In contrast, Moussa's touches look measured, and there's hardly a wasted second or touch. I hope Unai can coach this out of him, because he can be just as effective, he has all the tools.

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A lot of our fans also seem to have little idea about what squads are and how they work

We are hoping to play about 60 games this season and Ramsey and Diaby can't start every game

Exactly. Emery highlighted it post match that we need a bigger squad to cope with the demands of all the competitions we will be in.

I think some of fans need a reality check. There is probably going to be a lot of injuries and fatigue this season which is to be expected if we progress in the competition 

Bailey gets alot of heat but were buendia and coutinho much better? I didnt think they were.

• Like 2

Wingers are notoriously inconsistent because they're asked to take the risks, get involved in one on one duels. So if a few of those come off they look brilliant and if they don't they look shit. That comes with the position and role they're asked to play. I'm sure Emery gets this where people here don't. 

For Emery's plans he needs a left footed winger in the squad as it's keey for his system. So we've Diaby as our main one and Bailey is now  second to him. We need two and if Diaby missed 2 months and we'd binned off Bailey like lots of people wanted we immediately lose pace and threat that comes with it. 

The concept of a squad still seems totally lost on some people. Up to 60 games with 2 a week often including flights, 5 subs meaning more game time for more players in each game. 

• Like 3

3 matches in 7 days it will be, Thurs night is a bitch as even playing on sun that's what, one day recovery, one day to prepare and then you play. Impossible to do that trying to field your 'first eleven' in every game.

Positives of that though is hopefully the kids will get a chance to shine and one or two could break into the team. Same with the fringes of the squad, works both ways though and some will be found out as not up to it.

Just now, romavillan said:

3 matches in 7 days it will be, Thurs night is a bitch as even playing on sun that's what, one day recovery, one day to prepare and then you play. Impossible to do that trying to field your 'first eleven' in every game.

Positives of that though is hopefully the kids will get a chance to shine and one or two could break into the team. Same with the fringes of the squad, works both ways though and some will be found out as not up to it.

I think for the first  two legged game we will go strong to ensure we qualify for the group stages. Then i could see a strong team to start with to get a good start then if we arr winning the final games will be a bit weaker with stronger bench

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

A lot of our fans also seem to have little idea about what squads are and how they work

We are hoping to play about 60 games this season and Ramsey and Diaby can't start every game

With all due respect I think you are doing a disservice to your fellow villans here.

We do know what we want from a squad and it’s not players like Bailey who have consistently failed to live up to their big wages and/or hype.

I am a huge Bertie fan and would keep him simply based upon his natural ability to be insanely ridiculous with a football, plus I have far more faith in him coming off the bench than I do in Bailey - but I also acknowledge that the accusations levelled at Bailey, could also be levelled at Bertie.

I don’t see how we can keep both happy, so for me it’s Bye bye Bailey 

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think for the first  two legged game we will go strong to ensure we qualify for the group stages. Then i could see a strong team to start with to get a good start then if we arr winning the final games will be a bit weaker with stronger bench

Yeah the qualifier you'd think we'd be making sure while everyone is still fresh, but the group games hopefully we can guage the quality of the opponent well and rest the best players on Thursdays where we can, carabao I'd expect kids team mostly but unai has said he wants to compete there too so who knows. Only thing for sure is the fixture list will be **** mental.

27 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

With all due respect I think you are doing a disservice to your fellow villans here.

We do know what we want from a squad and it’s not players like Bailey who have consistently failed to live up to their big wages and/or hype.

I am a huge Bertie fan and would keep him simply based upon his natural ability to be insanely ridiculous with a football, plus I have far more faith in him coming off the bench than I do in Bailey - but I also acknowledge that the accusations levelled at Bailey, could also be levelled at Bertie.

I don’t see how we can keep both happy, so for me it’s Bye bye Bailey 

I cant agree. Traore for me doesn't put the shift in that bailey does. Yes baikey can be erratic but you cabt fault his attitude and wants thw ball.

Traore on the other hand yes he can produce a momwnt of magic but he often goes missing in games. I remember he waa given a start last season had a absolute stinker and ringed off at half time as he was that bad.

Bailey has sonething about him, ita just he tends to either hold the ball too long or make the wrong decision. I do truely believe this can be coached on with emery. With traore i just dont think he can be relied on a full season. He comes cross lazy too in games

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Yeah the qualifier you'd think we'd be making sure while everyone is still fresh, but the group games hopefully we can guage the quality of the opponent well and rest the best players on Thursdays where we can, carabao I'd expect kids team mostly but unai has said he wants to compete there too so who knows. Only thing for sure is the fixture list will be **** mental.

The problem is if we focus too much on the cup and go out in the latter rounds but sit in 13th in the league we will have no chance of europe.

Also have to remember now we have europe of we dont get it next season will our  better players like kamara want to stay?

So for me its vitally important we prioritise the conference cup but also keep us withing touching distance of top 7 in league of possible. Rotation will be key for this

I feel Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia seem to be the constant whipping boys on this forum and it gets so nasty, repetitive and tedious.

I'm not going to claim all three will have a future with us, or they will pick up form.

I hope Buendia will be a key player for us next season.

Unless Bailey and Coutinho get massive offers from Saudi clubs - I can't see either leaving, bombing them out to Turkish clubs and paying their wages makes no sense when certainly Bailey has enough in his game to be an asset for us despite his erratic and frustrating form.

i am still hopeful Phil can contribute for us also like he did when he first joined, keeping him fit and involved long enough to see it is the challenge.

Bailey in a cameo where nothing came off is not worth sharpening the pitchforks for. Even Phil hasn't looked terrible, just rusty as he hasn't played in a very long time.

People are laying into Watkins, in fact every time has a couple of games he doesn't score people here write him off, it's hilarious.

Bailey can get an assist one game but if he's sh7t the next then the hate comes out.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

I'd like to see Bailey - Watkins - Diaby as the attacking 3, next game. 

I think you'll be waiting a long time for that, seeing as Emery doesn't every play a front three. If nothing else changes than Bailey is clearly going to be back up for Diaby. A strong four across midfield (from Ramsey, Luiz, Tielemans, McGinn, Kamara, Buendia), with Watkins plus one, which will be Diaby when fit.

15 hours ago, ChesterDad said:

I don’t think anyone is saying this - the truth of the matter is that today was a reflection of his time here in general - along with the realisation that he is one of several who simply put “ must be significantly better than last year”  or their time will be up.

Can you honestly tell me - he did anything today that suggests he has closed the gap to becoming anything other than a bit part player? 

He won't be in the first XI, but I've seen enough under Emery to suggest he will play his part this season. 

Â