The worst Villa games in history

MadridVilla

On 06/07/2021 at 01:32, Okonokos said:

6-0 away to Newcastle. We'd been spoiled for a few years by being quite good and this was a sign of things to come over the next decade. It had been a while since we'd had such a bad result so I vividly remember how upset it made me at the time.

Didn't Carew miss a penalty after 10 minutes in that one? He scores it, we grind out a 1-0 or something and Kevin McDonald probably gets the job full time. We also went out in comical fashion to Rapid Vienna later that week (remember following it at Reading Festival) and that remains our last european match.

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Carew miss a penalty after 10 minutes in that one? He scores it, we grind out a 1-0 or something and Kevin McDonald probably gets the job full time. We also went out in comical fashion to Rapid Vienna later that week (remember following it at Reading Festival) and that remains our last european match.

He did indeed. Completely skied it over the bar.

with all these low points we have all witnessed comes the rare high points...

.....and all of these bad experiences will be wiped out when we finally beat man yoo (despite the referee trying his best to let them win)

• Like 1

The Bradford cup games were probably the worst for me or the 6-0 at home to Liverpool. Also never heard the end of it after Macheda scored that late winner from my mate that supports United so that is up there too. 

They weren't the worst games but I am still not over the Burnley loss or the Newcastle 1-1 draw from last season. Also the game against Liverpool at home the season before when Mane scored a late winner

Edited by Bizzzle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

star wars GIF

• Like 2

That 2-0 loss at against the Blouse 2002 - the first season.

The first game at their place losing 3-0 was bad enough but the way that went made the home game even bigger. If we got revenge there it wouldnt be so bad. Villa Park felt like a warzone that night, was proper grim, just a horrible vile atmosphere.

I remember Big Geoff giving it the big one after sticking it in an empty net to make it 2-0 (after another Enckelman **** up) and just thinking Jesus Christ...is this the way it's gonna be now?. Coppers with shields in front of the Holte from about the 70 min mark, us going down to 9 men and them ending up with Horsefield in goal and still not managing to muster a shot on target. I vividly remember the ref awarding a dubious corner to us with a minute or so to go and blowing the final whistle just before one of our players took it. He'd done it just so he could get over to the tunnel on the other side of the pitch for a quick exit! 

Edited by villanmac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, villanmac said:

The first game at their place losing 3-0 was bad enough but the way that went made the home game even bigger. If we got revenge there it wouldnt be so bad. Villa Park felt like a warzone that night, was proper grim, just a horrible vile atmosphere.

I remember Big Geoff giving it the big one after sticking it in an empty net to make it 2-0 (after another Enckelman **** up) and just thinking Jesus Christ...is this the way it's gonna be now?. Coppers with shields in front of the Holte from about the 70 min mark, us going down to 9 men and them ending up with Horsefield in goal and still not managing to muster a shot on target. I vividly remember the ref awarding a dubious corner to us with a minute or so to go and blowing the final whistle just before one of our players took it. He'd done it just so he could get over to the tunnel on the other side of the pitch for a quick exit! 

I went to this. Everyone steaming on a Monday night with a 745 kickoff.

This was the worst game I ever went to. For all of these reasons. I vowed to never go to a derby again, and never have. Not after my 70 year old dad almost got bottled

This time a personal one. Went around to my Uncle's house for a family Christmas party on a Saturday night a few days before Christmas. Unlike at home, he has pay TV so I'm extra excited as a teenager to be able to watch Villa live (a very rare opportunity then) as we must have had a Saturday midday kick off against Derby at Pride Park. 

Ravanelli opened the scoring for them but Angel instantly got us level. We ended up losing 3-1 with Malcolm **** Christie scoring one of them. One of their few wins of the season as they finished 19th.

• Like 1

Has anyone mentioned the 0-1 to Oldham yet? 

1st year of the Premier League and it handed the title to Manure. I had to take the train back to, yes, f'in Manchester after the game.

Utd win and go on to be dominant in the PL and Doug lets us drift into obscurity.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, islingtonclaret said:

I went to this. Everyone steaming on a Monday night with a 745 kickoff.

This was the worst game I ever went to. For all of these reasons. I vowed to never go to a derby again, and never have. Not after my 70 year old dad almost got bottled

The Adventures with was ram packed midday, bonkers 😛 

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah, Carew skyed one. I thought we were a dead cert to win that game after such a convincing win in the game previous against West Ham when Ashley Young scored and ran over to celebrate with Kev Mac.

Also remember that Vienna game, I'm sure Curtis Davis and Habib Beye played a major part in out downfall that night.

On 07/07/2021 at 14:21, villanmac said:

Yeah was the same for me. 3-0 was awful but I just put it down at the time to one of those freak games. We were poor first half but were properly battering them at 1-0 down, think De La Cruz hit the bar and Vassell had a tight offside ruled out and we were generally battering them until Mellberg threw the ball towards Enckleman....

Let them have their moment but was convinced for next 6 months we'd batter them in return at VP as our form up to the game was pretty decent IIRC. Can remember us beating a good Blackburn team 3-0 at home a few weeks before so was very confident.

Instead we lost with a much worse performance than at the Sty with even more complete loss of discipline on and off the pitch so dark night for the club. Losing to them twice in 04/05 with those Sorensen errors was pretty low aswell as felt then they'd be like another Man. United, always some sort of misfortune v them but thankfully we've largely dominated the games since then with plenty of big wins.

Edited by VillaChris

Such a rich topic, so many to choose from, dearie me. . .

I don't have any new ones, though a shout-out to the guy way back upthread with the deep cut choice of that game around Boxing Day in one of the Lambert years against Palace, when Dwight **** Gayle thundered one in from about 25 yards in the 88th minute.

Aso that 3-1 home defeat by QPR immediately after the 4-1 win against Wolves in 17/18. Dunno why that one bugged me so much, I just remember being mad about that. And McLeish's last home game, the one against Bolton, took my wife to that and sat in the Holte, first game she saw of English football and it was just pure hate, vicious atmosphere.

Worst I saw away from VP was the FA Cup final against Arsenal. Told this story before but saw it at a bar in Hanoi. A lot of (maybe even most?) Vietnamese people support Arsenal - they do or at least did some pre-season tours at one point - and of the foreigners in the bar, most were friends ribbing me, plus 3 guys in Arsenal shirts and somehow, a **** nose was there as well. That was it, couldn't have made a more humiliating environment. I slunk home with my tail between my legs before full time, never been so embarrassed to be a Villa fan as I was that night.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Ugh, reminds me of that FA cup game I think we lost 3-0 at Boundary Park.

Four of us got the afternoon off and drove up at lunchtime, it was cold anyway but Boundary Park was like a **** ice box.

We were shit and couldn't see anyway as the fences obscured the view. Bernie Gallagher had an indifferent game.

I had a V8 Rover SD1 and I drove that fast on the way back I almost ran out of fuel and had to fill up at a motorway services. First and last time I ever did that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

1st year of the Premier League and it handed the title to Manure. I had to take the train back to, yes, f'in Manchester after the game.

Utd win and go on to be dominant in the PL and Doug lets us drift into obscurity.

I went to this match. The Oldham fans marauded around Aston looking for trouble BEFORE the game. Some of the scariest fans I ever encountered.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Hornso said:

This time a personal one. Went around to my Uncle's house for a family Christmas party on a Saturday night a few days before Christmas. Unlike at home, he has pay TV so I'm extra excited as a teenager to be able to watch Villa live (a very rare opportunity then) as we must have had a Saturday midday kick off against Derby at Pride Park. 

Ravanelli opened the scoring for them but Angel instantly got us level. We ended up losing 3-1 with Malcolm **** Christie scoring one of them. One of their few wins of the season as they finished 19th.

Gregory quit about 2 weeks later and joined them which was even weirder. Carbone might have scored too

Edited by Zatman

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gregory quit about 2 weeks later and joined them which was even weirder. Carbone might have scored too

Spot on Zatman, I looked it up and he did (would have liked your post but I have run out for today).

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Worst I saw away from VP was the FA Cup final against Arsenal. Told this story before but saw it at a bar in Hanoi. A lot of (maybe even most?) Vietnamese people support Arsenal - they do or at least did some pre-season tours at one point - and of the foreigners in the bar, most were friends ribbing me, plus 3 guys in Arsenal shirts and somehow, a **** nose was there as well. That was it, couldn't have made a more humiliating environment. I slunk home with my tail between my legs before full time, never been so embarrassed to be a Villa fan as I was that night.

Mate, I spent about $7k on tickets, flights and hotels for the pleasure of traveling from NYC to be there.
I even left before the 4th goal to go and drown my sorrows.

• Thanks 1

Too many to recall, but many mentioned in this thread, Scum away 3-0 and 2-0 both away from home, the cup game away, that felt very dodgy in and around Birmingham that evening

Scum 2-2, we battered them for an hour, think it was Vassell who gave the ball away on the half way line at the end that lead to the equaliser?

FA Cup final, although I think after 10 minutes I looked at my mate sat with me thinking this is going to be a long afternoon, leaving the Fulham play off final even though I didn't know what was about to happen at the time, was one of the worst feelings I've felt in many years, Man U in the cup always sticks out being 2-0 up and losing 3-2, I think ever since then I've never been confident when taking the lead that we can hang on

QPR at home under Bruce after the Wolves demolition,

Everton at home under Lambert sticks out, we only took just over 1000 and I had probably the worst away view I've ever had at an away game, 3-2 up with just a corner to defend, Clark gets into a battle with Fellani and he equalises. 

Bradford away, Arsenal away under Mcleish in the cup, I think Henry came on and embarrassed us?  Spurs Away on the Monday night the 4-4, League cup final under MON, even the Semi final V chelsea, all very much an anti climax.

Â