Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Although I don't like the approach, getting to the semis without conceding a goal is a fine, fine achievement.

Agreed.

Really weird game - the praise is completely OTT (though I do understand). Ukraine offered absolutely nothing at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He's bought jack on when we needed to score,  we didn't need to start in this game and we certainly don't want to risk him when we're 2 up as soon as the second half starts.

As much as I'd like to see him start every game, we haven't needed to, yet.

Interesting that jack and Gareth had a proper embrace when the whistle went and even weirder, Sheva did the same thing! 

Yes I noticed those great moments, I'm still annoyed about how long Jack has had to wait and some of the players like dier greenwood etc coming in well before him, he's been robbed of many caps.

What you say is true though and maybe the stats were saying he needed to rest and with some luck he will get a game against the Danes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

2 of that starting 11 for Ukraine play in a top 5 league. Most the squad are from the Ukrainian League. 

I'm talking about the tournament as a whole. But thanks for letting me know. I didn't know that. 

The point I'm making is too many people are not giving England the credit they deserve.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

England have the one thing Italy don't like - pace. And I think we can defend as well as them especially as a unit. Spinazzola will be a huge miss for them.

Absolutely, England need to be starting Sancho if Italy final match happens particularly given their regular LB is out now. That said Italy know how to position themselves at the back. It's all about tempo when playing Italian teams, stand off them and let them dictate and they'll dominate the game and hurt you in ways Germany couldn't but really press them and likes of Jorginho will start misplacing passes as he did v us on final day.

Probably going to be the final but Denmark will be a test as they have plenty of premier league players who know England's ones inside out and very motivated themselves.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Southgate avin a word with Grealish there, maybe promising next game.

I noticed that too. Jack will feature in the semi final. From a squad point of view it was the right call to give some of the fringe players minutes when you’re winning 4-0 

1 minute ago, jjaacckk91 said:

Lmao no shearer absolutely no one doubted Harry Kane was a top player.

That doesn't change the fact that he had been playing awful.

Just said this to the wife. You can criticise a player when they’re not performing, and then give credit when it’s due. Shearer misses the point completely, people weren’t saying Kane’s a bad player, just he was playing badly. 

6 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

If England don't go on and win the Euro's now then I don't know how they ever do it. 

Everything has fallen into place in our favour. 

Yep favourable draw, most games at Wembley, and having the 26 squad has given Southgate a lot of options.

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

**** hell mate, relax.

I know pal but I really wanted him to smash this tournament, just disappointed for him and I really cannot stand this manager. Anyway, we're through, semis next.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Absolutely, England need to be starting Sancho if Italy final match happens particularly given their regular LB is out now. That said Italy know how to position themselves at the back. It's all about tempo when playing Italian teams, stand off them and let them dictate and they'll dominate the game and hurt you in ways Germany couldn't but really press them and likes of Jorginho will start misplacing passes as he did v us on final day.

Probably going to be the final but Denmark will be a test as they have plenty of premier league players who know England's ones inside out and very motivated themselves.

What I will say I hope Tyrone and Jack take back to Villa what they've learned from this and how we can be harder to beat next season too.

Sancho was largely rubbish again, as usual for him in an England shirt. Mount was always pretty useless I thought but he's always going to start. 

RW seems to be the only position up for grabs on Wednesday. 

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Agreed.

Really weird game - the praise is completely OTT (though I do understand). Ukraine offered absolutely nothing at all. 

Come on we have battered the opposition and have reached a consecutive semi final. You can view the opposition as poor but you can only beat you in front of you.

No goals conceded in 5 games and have scored 6 goals in the last 2 knock out games.

• Like 2

I think pace is overrated in todays game. What did Sancho do in the final 1/3rd.

Rashford come on and gave the ball nearly every time he had it. He disappoints me Rashford, when he come on the scene i thought he was going to be a hell of a palyer, but he hasn't developed for me tbh.

I thought Mount was better 2nd half, he drove forward and looked better.

For all the talk about easy runs, England have traditionally done a really good job of bottling easy runs and losing to minnows. It's a pleasant change of pace, even if it's not been particularly breathtaking football.

Â