Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

2 hours ago, av1 said:

I noticed that too. Jack will feature in the semi final. From a squad point of view it was the right call to give some of the fringe players minutes when you’re winning 4-0 

Agreed only sub I didn’t agree with was Trippier when Chilwell hasn’t played 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

What does this have to do with praise being OTT? We didn’t need to do anything to win this game. I’d be amazed if we had many more shots than Ukraine tbh.  It was the most comfortable thing I’ve ever watched - and that’s fantastic. But a brilliant England performance? Looking impressive?

Not for me. 

No pleasing some people. I’m struggling to work out what people actually want

2 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Didn’t watch and won’t whilst Southgate is in charge, can’t stand him.

Lol ok m8, you go and play with your crayons 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

It's a great night in the end but I can't help but feel sorry for Jack , not starting and then seeing all those subs go on. Well done Gareth good win, but I'll never forgive you for treating our Jack like this.

You have to be a troll, surely 

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Agreed only sub I didn’t agree with was Trippier when Chilwell hasn’t played 

Chilwell is one of the Jack crew along with Maddison and few others. Not really wanted by Southgate 

• Like 1

My take on England's performance.

• 100 % effective against Ukraine
  • 99.9 % dreary even against Ukraine
  • 0.1 % of some sublime moments. The goals today were nice.

I would like to see the the dreary reduced to 99% and the sublime increased to 1%, bearing mind the embarrassment of riches the England team have.
Worryingly there were moments where the defence looked vulnerable ... specially on the right after lapses in the midfield.

Overall good game.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Chilwell is one of the Jack crew along with Maddison and few others. Not really wanted by Southgate 

Thats an interesting point. Jack said in one interview how they always roomed together when they were younger and they still go on holidays together (with Maddison.)

We all know there are office politics in every walk of life. Football is no exception. Southgate is human and he's not going to just pick people purely on performance. He has his favorites and lads that is wary of giving too much exposure.

24 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The fall of the draw is because some of those teams failed to win their group and a lot those so called ‘big teams’ have not performed.

Spain would have been on England’s side of the draw had they won their group, but they finished second to Sweden. 

Switzerland would have been on England’s side of the draw if they hadn’t finished below Wales.

The Netherlands and Germany were on England’s side of the draw but we’re not good enough to get past Czech and England.

The draw was fine (in fact the talk before the tournament was that England would be going home as soon as they faced an opponent from the ‘group of death’).

I couldn’t have put it any better myself. This desire to discredit anything England do purely because a half fit Grealish isn’t playing 90 minutes every match is bizarre.

The ‘seeding system’ doesn’t really mean much once you’re out of the groups anyway. At that point you have an equal number of group winners on each side of the draw and if one of the ‘big teams’ doesn’t win the group then that’s on them at the end of the day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Giro said:

No pleasing some people. I’m struggling to work out what people actually want

When you say “no pleasing”, what exactly do you mean? All I’ve said is that praise for that performance is OTT - Ukraine didn’t turn up - and that it wasn’t a brilliant England performance at all. Presumably you disagree and thought that was a great game - each to their own.

In any case, I’m hardly calling for the manager to be sacked or saying we didn’t deserve to get through, am I? “No pleasing” for **** sake :D 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I couldn’t have put it any better myself. This desire to discredit anything England do purely because a half fit Grealish isn’t playing 90 minutes every match is bizarre.

The ‘seeding system’ doesn’t really mean much once you’re out of the groups anyway. At that point you have an equal number of group winners on each side of the draw and if one of the ‘big teams’ doesn’t win the group then that’s on them at the end of the day.

Quality, that's one of the best examples of exaggeration to fit ones own agenda I've read all day, it's still early mind but well done never the less

Great result last night and we now face two very tough games at Wembley. I have to say that I don't quite get Luke Shaw getting so many plaudits for last night. He can hit a cross, but I lost count of the number of times he passed the ball backwards. I would have gone for Chilwell, who does actually move forward with purpose, but the die is cast now. Sancho looks a typical Newton Heath player, one who performs for his club, but doesn't for his country like Bruno Fernandes. I would like to think that Jack and Foden will get some minutes in our remaining game(s), but I guess that is only likely to happen with about 25 minutes left, if Southgate needs a game pulled out of the fire. No matter how good those two are, a few minutes is a short space of time to give them to turn things around. Will he play Henderson against Denmark now (you cannot have enough defensive minded midfield players after all)?

Taking nothing away from us, but Ukraine were totally hopeless. Very kind draw. England in such a strong position for the semis. Rotation, no injuries, confident, no goal conceded, options. We might just do it… I’ll have to bloody respect Southgate then won’t I?! To be fair, you cannot knock him now - he is doing a very very good job. 

Edited by Villa87
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

Taking nothing away from us, but Ukraine were totally hopeless. Very kind draw. England in such a strong position for the semis. Rotation, no injuries, confident, no goal conceded, options. We might just do it… I’ll have to bloody respect Southgate then won’t I?! To be fair, you cannot knock him now - he is doing a very very good job. 

This is where I am.

Ukraine we’re knackered after their previous game which was brutal.

I would do many things differently to Southgate but he’s got a set of perfect results which you can’t knock. Fair play he’s doing very well. The squad is so strong you could cut it a lot of different ways and still win. 

I'm finding it hard to praise Southgate also, but I gotta say, he has got it about bang on so far. I do believe though we would be winning games easier if he took a more attacking approach, bar last night of course, but if your winning, I guess your doing the job.

What you do have got to ask yourself is, could anyone else do the same, with the talent he has at his disposal. For me he has been dealt great card and yes I'm sure with the squad Southgate has, there are many who could do the same. I mean in reality is he any better than our man Smith?

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm finding it hard to praise Southgate also, but I gotta say, he has got it about bang on so far. I do believe though we would be winning games easier if he took a more attacking approach, bar last night of course, but if your winning, I guess your doing the job.

What you do have got to ask yourself is, could anyone else do the same, with the talent he has at his disposal. For me he has been dealt great card and yes I'm sure with the squad Southgate has, there are many who could do the same. I mean in reality is he any better than our man Smith?

Not even close pal.

This is tournament football. You have to be pragmatic and grind your way through but you will have one or two results/performances that are exceptional. 

I want Jack to lead England to victory but as 'neutral' people will be praising Southgate and you can't argue with that. He's getting the job done.

Â