Euro 2020 : Quarter finals

BOF

Friday July 2nd

St. Petersburg 17:00 : SUI.png?imwidth=158Switzerland v ESP.png?imwidth=158Spain

Munich 20:00         : BEL.png?imwidth=158Belgium     v ITA.png?imwidth=158Italy

Saturday July 3rd

Baku 17:00           : CZE.png?imwidth=158Czechia     v DEN.png?imwidth=158Denmark

Rome 20:00           : UKR.png?imwidth=158Ukraine     v ENG.png?imwidth=158England

• Thanks 1

Ukraine for England.:lol:

Now @Rino8 are you bold enough to declare Ukraine will beat England 1-0 as I recall you said about 8 days ago England were so bad someone like Russia would probably beat them in the knock outs......

Actually said pre tournament Ukraine would have a good run but don't think they've got enough quality throughout team to give a serious game and this has been bruising and they've lost a couple of players to injury, lad who went off with red card and Yarmolenko went off just before extra time.

Can see England winning 3-0 and getting big confidence booster for semi finals, ideal time to play a few more creative players Gareth.

Spain Vs England final … One can hope the shackles come off a little more now. We should be defending by attacking, especially with the ridiculous talent we possess. We didn’t need 3@ the back and 2 sitting DM’s IMO. Havertz showed glimpses and they had chances but never too worried about them. He needs to also tell Sterling to look the **** up and **** pass it to the man in space rather than take your man on every **** time 🤬 thank you for Goals though! 

1 hour ago, andykeenan said:

Switzerland v Spain Friday 5pm ITV 

Belgium v Italy Friday 8pm BBC

Czech Republic v Denmark Saturday 5pm ITV 

Ukraine v England  Saturday 8pm BBC 

Your fixtures were listed far more beautifully than @BOF’s 😍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The one thing I don't like about yesterday's win over Germany is the ott reaction. It's an average German team yet had they won they would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

We're going to be hearing about this win 20 years down the line and in the meantime Germany will have won another world cup and another Euros whilst we'll be on about more heroic failures. 

I hope that the emotions invested in this game don't bite them in the jacksie.

Yes, we move on to the next one and we can improve. Southgate was brave bringing Jack on, it worked, it worked amazingly, we were better. He must start from now on. We should go in to Ukraine with a view to dominating them. No massive changes, still 343 but flipping 2 players changes that 343 in to a more offensive team. I'd like us to make a big statement against the Ukraine and give whoever we get in the semis something more to think about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

The one thing I don't like about yesterday's win over Germany is the ott reaction. It's an average German team yet had they won they would have shrugged their shoulders and moved on.

We're going to be hearing about this win 20 years down the line and in the meantime Germany will have won another world cup and another Euros whilst we'll be on about more heroic failures. 

I hope that the emotions invested in this game don't bite them in the jacksie.

To be fair that's our first ever win in a euros knock out game in normal time

Its not wrong to say that Germany are a poor side in transition 

Its also not wrong to say that on paper, which is what history will remember, that's the biggest scalp England have taken in a knockout stage of a tournament in my 37 year life 

Nothing wrong with celebrating this win... It reflects what we are as a footballing nation, we're not the elite team we claim to be, once you realise that you realise how big that win is 

Agree that we need to make it count for something 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair that's our first ever win in a euros knock out game in normal time

Its not wrong to say that Germany are a poor side in transition 

Its also not wrong to say that on paper, which is what history will remember, that's the biggest scalp England have taken in a knockout stage of a tournament in my 37 year life 

Nothing wrong with celebrating this win... It reflects what we are as a footballing nation, we're not the elite team we claim to be, once you realise that you realise how big that win is 

Agree that we need to make it count for something 

I have to disagree with you on this point. The England team has some of the best players in the World. On paper man for man I'd say we have amongst the top 4 squads in the tournament. France, Italy and Spain being the other 3. FWIW I'd put the Germans around 7/8 in terms of squad strength.

What the point I was making is that even when Ze Germans, Brazil, Italy etc have poor squads they go into tournaments expecting victory. 

I'm expecting an England win this year. The world cup will be harder because of logistics but we'll go far there too.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Spain, Belgium, Denmark, England for me.

And fingers crossed we'll see England in the final. I reckon against Belgium

Think Belgium will struggle without their big players, KDB and Hazard potentially missing through injury and the other Hazard is suspended.

my money will be on the Italians to progress.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I have to disagree with you on this point. The England team has some of the best players in the World. On paper man for man I'd say we have amongst the top 4 squads in the tournament. France, Italy and Spain being the other 3. FWIW I'd put the Germans around 7/8 in terms of squad strength.

What the point I was making is that even when Ze Germans, Brazil, Italy etc have poor squads they go into tournaments expecting victory. 

I'm expecting an England win this year. The world cup will be harder because of logistics but we'll go far there too.

Yes we do

But as a nation who have we ever beat in the knockout stage of a major tournament since 1966? We are not an elite nation at international level

Belgium, Spain on pens, Denmark, Sweden, Colombia, Ecuador, Cameroon, Paraguay 

We've won 8 knockout games in nearly 60 years 

In that context it is a big win, seeing as Spain was on pens its arguably our biggest win since 66, our first ever at the euros in normal time

• Like 4

With historical context it’s a massive win,  yes Germany aren’t the force they used to be but we still had to beat them. As we’ve seen so many times before in the knockout stages, that’s always been a step too much for England. 

This isn’t the first time England have had a generation of highly rated players, but it might be the first time that they cast off the bottle job tag and win something since 1966. It’s early days though and important the players don’t get carried away. They’ve still got it all to do but should feel confident after yesterday. 

I think the semis will be Italy, Spain, Denmark and England. With and England v Italy final. 

• Like 1

Switzerland vs Spain is the most intriguing QF for me.  Spain seem to be hitting a bit of form in their play and should've comfortably seen off Croatia in normal time.  Switzerland obviously on a high after a remarkable fight back against France and have grown into the tournament.  They probably lack the firepower to get past a Spain side which looks like they will score at least 2 in every game, but do have a chance if Seferovic can continue to dominate in the air.  Spain 3 - 1 Switzerland.

Belgium vs Italy - KDB will be a huge loss for Belgium if he doesn't play but, in Lukaku, I think they have the best centre forward in the tournament.  The game will basically depend on how well they can get other players (Mertens, Hazard etc) to support him because he was pretty isolated at times against Portugal - despite doing a phenomenal hold up job with the ball.  Italy looked like arguably the best side overall in the group stage, but their victory over Austria was laboured and they were lucky not to lose.  Could go either way - but I'll go for a 2 - 1 Belgium win.

Czech Republic vs Denmark - the "romantic" element of the Euros continues as an Eriksen-less Denmark have been utterly inspired in their victories over Russia and Wales.  This is a very different challenge, though, and they will be without "home" advantage for the first time in the tournament.  For me, the Czechs are the true dark horses of Euro 2020.  Solid at the back and carry a whole host of threats going forward - whether aerially or with the sublimity of Schick.  Czech 1 - 0 Denmark.

Ukraine vs England - the pessimist in me thinks this is exactly the sort of tie England will cock up in.  Beat Germany, lose to Ukraine.  Absolute classic.  In truth, they should be far too good for Ukraine who haven't been that impressive at all, even with two very good goals against Netherlands.  They were completely dominated in that game otherwise though, and didn't seem much of a threat last night.  England are obviously defensively solid but will now have a belief about them as well.  Ukraine 0 - 2 England.

Â